Remie Streete Confident Red Tape Won't Scupper Rangers Deal

gers31

"Currently under the FIFA Transfer Regulations a football player is unable to play for more than three teams in one season. This applies whether the player has been transferred or simply is on loan with that club."

Given there are only two here, even if the Newcastle U21s counts as a team it's still less than three.

Edit, there is an additional condition....

"This rule dictates that a player can be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season but can only play for two of them with the sole exception of a move between clubs with overlapping seasons."

So i guess he's registered with Newcastle but hasn't played for them as its only U21s.

Well Ben Arfa's move to Nice has been scuppered for the same reason I am sure....

Looks like you're right, a quick google on Ben Arfa....

"Nice contested the ruling on the basis that Ben Arfa had only represented Newcastle’s reserve team – but Fifa regulations regard “under-21 professional development league” matches as competitive fixtures"

The Ibrox club signed Streete on deadline day along with Magpies team-mates Gael Bigirimana, Shane Ferguson, Kevin Mbabu, Remie Streete and Haris Vuckic.

Rangers hope that all five can help Kenny McDowall’s team win promotion to the Premiership but fears were raised Streete’s playing history could rule him out of first team action at Ibrox.

FIFA rules on the transfer of players allow an individual to be registered at three clubs in the space of one season but only to play for two.

Generally, “playing” for a club is considered to apply to first team competitive fixtures. However, recent FIFA rulings suggest that the world governing body considers Under-21 games in England to count in the same way.

Streete has played two games on loan at Port Vale this season but has also made appearances for Newcastle United’s Under-21 side. If the youth games were not counted as full fixtures, Rangers would field be able to field Streete. The Ibrox club would be the third club he was registered with and the second he played for, as the rules permit.

However, if Newcastle Under-21 games are classed as full fixtures by FIFA, Rangers would be able to sign Streete but not play him. He would be registered for three clubs but already have played for two (Port Vale and Newcastle Under-21s).

Scottish FA protocols state only first team games count but FIFA have ruled on this on at least two occasions in the last month, including the case of Hatem Ben Arfa.

Ben Arfa, like Streete, played for Newcastle’s Under-21 side this season and was also on loan at Hull.

He agreed a move from Newcastle to Nice but was told on his arrival at the French club that he could not play for a third club this season.

However Streete doesn’t believe he will suffer the same fate, adding: “It’s all signed from my end.

"I think different federations in different countries have different rules. I know France stopped that one [ben Arfa] but from what I’ve read on the internet and been told from my agent the Scottish FA have allowed me to make the transfer. So hopefully it should be fine."

In another example, Chelsea midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah played for the club’s Under-21 side and also for Burnley on loan. A proposed January move to Bordeaux collapsed when it was ruled that he had already played for two clubs. Chalobah is now on loan at reading, but only because the English FA handles domestic loans in a different way from international moves.

FIFA declined to comment on specific transfers when contacted by STV on Tuesday.

apparently fifa blocked ben arfa not the french fa, so i'm not optimistic about this

Was Fifa not ruling that french rules apply in the transfer not english, France counts u21 games England doesn't. Neither Scotland or England count them so transfer should be fine. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic about this?