Smallest Crowd Ever

RFC55

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye but TV stated many times we have 35 or 40 000 at a game so take it with a pinch of salt.

And P's gonna stop with all the 'Mon the ......" it's tarrieresque.

Mon the is tarrieresque? Wow, what a lot of shite.

I'm sure plenty people used the expression long before the tims adopted it for a song ffs.

For all your money, deceit, and lies Mr Ashley if you don`t have the Fans you don`t have Rangers

So if Ashley was gone tomorrow we'd be a better football team playing attractive football. This mess on the field which is keeping fans at home was created by McCostalot and the boards who refused to sack him.

I'm no Ashley fan but ffs get a grip we have not improved since Brechin, 2012 and there is only one charlatan to blame and that is Shylock McCoist still extracting his 'pound of flesh' from the club.

Is it any wonder people have had enough.

I'm all for backing players but when they don't care then why should we.

Same tactics and players who've done nothing in months and every week nothing changes.

McCulloch shoe horned in every fuckin week and he's rank every fuckin week.

Black would have had his baws kicked by now under Jock Wallace or Graeme Souness.

Temps not in the equation and Miller always up top when we can all see he's lost a yard and his first touch is still pish.

The list is endless as to why people should not spend hard earned on over paid nobodies who only care about their next big wage...i've seen more guts in a primary school second 11.

Was at both games myself Duncan, I think Jim Leishman was in the Dunfermline team that beat us. Of course at that time everyone was saving up for Barcelona, the fans weren't shunning the team.

Correct, crowds in those days tended to fluctuate a lot, it was pre-season ticket. And as you said, the support were saving up for a rather big game - my mum wouldn't let me go :-(

Incidentally, Jim Leishman did indeed play in that Dunfermline game, and scored two of their goals.

www.a-rangers-story.co.uk

We had a couple very low attendances in 1972 Vs Ayr United and Dunfermline, both with crowds of between 2,500 and 4,000 depending on which match report you read. I was there for both games and can confirm it was that low.

Ironically the games before that had huge attendances, 80,000 Vs Bayern and a combined 130,000 for the two Scottish Cup games Vs Hibs. Rangers then of course took 26,000 to Barcelona.

www.a-rangers-story.co.uk

I always thought it was the Ayr Utd game just before Barcelona. Of course there were probably smaller crowds in the very early days.

Greig years saw four figure crowds. Combination of poor team and 1980s recession.

Quick Google gives examples of...

5 May 1982 St. Mirren H 3–0 6,000

MacDonald, McAdam, Redford

8 May 1982 Dundee H 4–0 8,500 Dalziel (3), Redford

6 October 1982 QF Kilmarnock H 6–0 5,342 MacDonald (2), Johnstone (2),

McPherson, Bett (pen)

McPherson, Bett (pen)

Thankfully, the crowds surged back when a new manager (Souness) with some great players came in. I expect the same when whoever comes in to revive this languishing team.

McPherson, Bett (pen)

I was at that game.
If I remember correctly,the Govan Stand which had only opened that season had a small pocket of people gathered down at the front of the stand right at the centre line.

Thankfully, the crowds surged back when a new manager (Souness) with some great players came in. I expect the same when whoever comes in to revive this languishing team.

Jock Wallace came back to replace Greig, after we were unsuccessful in enticing Alex Ferguson then Jim McLean. At first the crowds went up but by the time Jock left in 1986 they had fallen away again, his last game was a Sunday afternoon friendly against Spurs in front of 12,000. The appointment of Graeme Souness was announced the next day.

They were expecting 8,000 according to the steward at the Bar72 enterance.

Next time you see him, ask him about golfing in Tenerife, you will be lucky to make kick off.

Really good guy, always says hya to my missus, but blanks me :(