Fenian

BridgeIsBlue

The movement was denounced by the British establishment, the press, the Catholic Church and Irish political elite, as had been all Irish separatist and Republicanism movements.[37]

Denounced by the church themselves,yet by some convenience this word is supposed to represent a person of faith in today's Scotland.

Sing TBB all you want,shout fenian bastard all you wish,there were many protestants in the fenian brotherhood of the 19th century,so how in the name of science does this amount to religious slander or whatever?

Answers on a postcard plz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The movement was denounced by the British establishment, the press, the Catholic Church and Irish political elite, as had been all Irish separatist and Republicanism movements.[37]

Denounced by the church themselves,yet by some convenience this word is supposed to represent a person of faith in today's Scotland.

Sing TBB all you want,shout fenian bastard all you wish,there were many protestants in the fenian brotherhood of the 19th century,so how in the name of science does this amount to religious slander or whatever?

Answers on a postcard plz

The term "h**" is the exact same, too much hand wringing and mock offence from both sides.

It's not the religious slander, it's the cultural ignorance and desire to offend particular cultural groups that's the problem.

Anyone could dredge up any old fashioned word you want, and apply it to a particular cultural element in a negative manner.

Can't people see that we are marginalising ourselves with all this? As part of modernisation that's needed at the club we badly need to be more inclusive to ensure we remain a strong force. Look around the stadium at a home game. The crowds are dropping, and it's an aging support. When that generation is too old to attend games, who'll be there to replace them?

And of course that's not specific to rangers, that's a problem throughout scottish football. But we're in danger of becoming a cultural relic if we don't move with the times.

Paddy mccourts Fenian army? Oops, that'll be ten years in bar-L for moi?

Mind that shite? Whole stadium would sing it but because it's them saying it nothing was done. The laws regarding singing at football are utterly pathetic in this country not to mention unbelievably inconsistent.

What I don't get is that people get into trouble for making monkey noises at or calling calling black folk monkeys.

Surely this is not enforceable in the courts, after all a monkey and a black person are not the same thing, so it's not racist, is it?

We seem to have some really stupid people in our support, so I must spell out that the two lines above are purely to show how stupid the OPs post is. Please don't start making monkey noises at any rangers games.

Neil Lennon tweeted about a bar in Australia being called Fenians. Even he of all people saw the funny side.

What is even more amazing is that I once heard a rap song in which I heard a black guy refer to himself as a 'n***er'.

Does this mean that I can call the black guy I sit next to in work from Zimbabwe by this word?

What is even more amazing is that I once heard a rap song in which I heard a black guy refer to himself as a 'n***er'.

Does this mean that I can call the black guy I sit next to in work from Zimbabwe by this word?

Spade is a spade mate

To A Gallant Pioneer, youve posted some pics and I'm presuming it's to show some hypocrisy ?

IMO your actually showing that the term is acceptable in a certain context. Your examples are a term of endearmence but in the case of TBB it's offensive.

People also try to compare Fenians to the word H*n which again IMO is completely wrong.

H*n is a derogatory word regardless of the context so it's completely different.

I'm not asking if any Bears get offended by it's use but do any Bears like being called a H*n?

I certainly don't and if it occurs to my face even as a joke I challenged it everytime albeit it doesn't happen anymore.

I gladly call them fenians. About time this was challenged head on as this is not sectarian

I also agree about the moaning about being called h***. If anyone is a h** its them but let's stop the petty shite.