Memories Of Davie Mckinnon

He played at Ibrox in the early to mid-1980's. Reasonable player who was cleared out by Souness if I recall. Big Rangers fan and his uncle had played for the Jags. Had a younger brother (was it Alan?) who went on trial with Arsenal and ended up with Cambuslang Rangers. Does any bear know of Davie's whereabouts these days?

He played at Ibrox in the early to mid-1980's. Reasonable player who was cleared out by Souness if I recall. Big Rangers fan and his uncle had played for the Jags. Had a younger brother (was it Alan?) who went on trial with Arsenal and ended up with Cambuslang Rangers. Does any bear know of Davie's whereabouts these days?

Director with Hamilton Accies, last I heard.

Pundit on Rocksport

My abiding memory of Davie McKinnon was his amazing performance against Inter Milan in the 3-1 UEFA Cup game at Ibrox in 1984. My memory tells me Cooper was dropped, but maybe he was injured. In any case, Wallace tinkered with the formation. McKinnon was playing almost as a winger with big John McLelland making rampaging runs forward. It worked a treat. Not a failure in the Rangers team that night, humbled a decent Inter team and had them rattled. Atmosphere that night was up there with the best. Liam Brady took some stick.

seen him in Gourock a couple of times. I think he stays down these parts.

It seems some of you have better memories of him than I have! Whilst I don't doubt his loyalty and effort, sadly his ability was lacking. He really wasn't good enough for Rangers although we had a fair number of players at that time who fell into the same category which is why we were in the doldrums pre-Souness.

It seems some of you have better memories of him than I have! Whilst I don't doubt his loyalty and effort, sadly his ability was lacking. He really wasn't good enough for Rangers although we had a fair number of players at that time who fell into the same category which is why we were in the doldrums pre-Souness.

(tu) this

Correct , a guy who gave his best but just fell a bit short

McKinnon was a committed player of limited ability - although that wasn't particularly remarkable in an era when we went nine years with no title for the second time in my life.

He often pops up in conversation when players like Kenny Watson, Billy Urquhart and Cammy Fraser are subject to critical evaluation.

Vague memories from the 1960's. Is there a school just across the road? Recall an Orange Hall close by too.

The school across the road is the old renfrew high , now its trinity high for the rc,s

The orange hall was 2 doors along from the pow , it changed to the crimson abod club in the nineties , but sadly closed altogether a few years ago