Colin Hendry

The thread about Gazza on Clare Balding's show reminded me, after Al Capone claiming he could turn her back, that she looks like Colin Hendry.

I then thought about what we'd give for a Colin Hendry now, when previously he was DMurray's personal patriotic indulgence that Advocaat never really wanted.

It seems ironic that we wasted resources over-filling a squad, only to be penny-pinching a few short years later.

Colin Hendry seems to be quite a symbolic figure for Murray's wasteful mismanagement of our former riches and it seems apt that he was signed during that wasteful Advocaat era.

Nonetheless, what we'd give to have a reliable, no nonsense defender these days. McGregor may be our best defender now, but he's just nowhere near what Hendry, a then surplus reserve to Advoacaat, was.

Perhaps recent boardroom changes- improvements to my mind- will see some degree of reclaiming our former quality.

Anyway, I hope things are going better for the big man, whose had his own problems over the years. He was never given a proper chance to show what his contribution to our cause would have been, but he always seemed a decent, honest pro.

Dunno about that, but Claire Balding could have done a decent job for us ahead of McCulloch last season.

Hendry was a big, solid pro, liked him a lot but not a patch on Gough or Butcher, but that isn't saying much. Liked the big man, but I'd take Cuellar, Gough or Butcher in their prime ahead of him.

Dunno about that, but Claire Balding could have done a decent job for us ahead of McCulloch last season.

Hendry was a big, solid pro, liked him a lot but not a patch on Gough or Butcher, but that isn't saying much. Liked the big man, but I'd take Cuellar, Gough or Butcher in their prime ahead of him.

Correct. Nothing against Hendry personally but he was average at best. He benefited big time from the "braveheart" image and he looked the part with the long hair and square jaw but he wasnt a patch on Butcher, Gough, Cuellar etc.

The thread about Gazza on Clare Balding's show reminded me, after Al Capone claiming he could turn her back, that she looks like Colin Hendry.

I then thought about what we'd give for a Colin Hendry now, when previously he was DMurray's personal patriotic indulgence that Advocaat never really wanted.

It seems ironic that we wasted resources over-filling a squad, only to be penny-pinching a few short years later.

Colin Hendry seems to be quite a symbolic figure for Murray's wasteful mismanagement of our former riches and it seems apt that he was signed during that wasteful Advocaat era.

Nonetheless, what we'd give to have a reliable, no nonsense defender these days. McGregor may be our best defender now, but he's just nowhere near what Hendry, a then surplus reserve to Advoacaat, was.

Perhaps recent boardroom changes- improvements to my mind- will see some degree of reclaiming our former quality.

Anyway, I hope things are going better for the big man, whose had his own problems over the years. He was never given a proper chance to show what his contribution to our cause would have been, but he always seemed a decent, honest pro.

Surely more cause and effect than Ironic? :P Although I know what you mean.

Yeah, all those peripheral squad players from that era would walk into the team now - symptomatic of a general decline in quality of Scottish Football and of us specifically.

Hendry was a top class defender and proved it in the premier league!!! Comparing him to Marvin Andrews is ridiculous..

Someone compared dean shiels to Ronald de boer not so long ago.

Fucking mad house.

The big man was solid and you don't captain your country at a World Cup and captain Blackburn Rovers to the top-tier title in England without having something about you. Always gave 100% with no exceptions.

He's not had an easy time of things in life since, and that's putting it mildly, so all the very best to him.