Jason Holt Officially A Rangers Player

Scottish Sun, Rangers are chasing midfielder Jason Holt, who is a free agent having left Scottish rivals Hearts.

Having signed defenders Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan earlier this week, new manager Mark Warburton is now seemingly chasing reinforcements in other areas of the pitch.

The Scottish Sun believe that Warburton has now targeted midfielder Holt, who could be a bargain signing this summer having left Hearts at the end of his contract - though Rangers would allegedly have to pay a compensation fee given that Holt came up through the ranks at Tynecastle.

The 22-year-old established himself in the first team at Hearts, and his performances led to a move to Sheffield United in January, where he scored five goals in 15 games.

Now, Holt is available to sign this summer, and the report suggests that Warburton has been advised to target Holt by assistant David Weir.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good player.

Always rated him at Hearts, strange when he went on loan to Sheffield United but he was extremely impressive during that loan spell. Sure he had scored 5 in 3 games from midfield.

Good player.

Always rated him at Hearts, strange when he went on loan to Sheffield United but he was extremely impressive during that loan spell. Sure he had scored 5 in 3 games from midfield.

He played more than 3 games did he not, was it not 15?

Wet on to a Shieffield united forum to see what they were saying:

- Nahhhh not for me! Too lightweight and goes missing in games.Players like Holt are not what you need in this division sorry.
- Not saying he's crap but he needs to do more going forward instead of backwards and sideways.
- Not an improvement on anything we already have. He works very hard but there's nothing much else about his game.
- If the rest of the team played with the same vigor as this lad ,we would be in a much more comfortable position than what we are now .

- Such is BladesMad that quite a few on here were including him in their elevens purely on the basis of a couple of goals when he showed nothing else at all.

- We need big strong midfield players. We have enough small ones and this season has proven that the better teams have big strong midfield players.

- When it get tough Holt (and to some extent Scougall) seem to disappear.

- Please to God tell me we haven't signed Holt? Definitely the worst midfielder ever to pull on the shirt, and we have had some rubbish. If this is true, Clough needs his head testing, Power Pace, and strength, yes he's got 0% of those.

- I do agree Holt is sh1te though!!!

- If he signs Holt, I think have every right to demand their season ticket money back. Is he trying to take us to the bottom tier?

- If this acquisition does go through you have to wonder what role, if any, the hierarchy are taking when it comes to squad building.

It should be the manager's prerogative to acquire players, within financial reason, but after the chaos of last season it would be very odd if someone wasn't querying the acquisition of Holt.
You'd think someone might say did this guy do a great deal last season? You already have Scougall and Reed who are small in stature, do you really need another of the same size? We often failed to impose ourselves or create chances, in what way does this guy improve the likelihood of achieving dominance of possession etc?

- Something has to give here. We can't keep on with Baxter/Reed/Scougall/Holt competing for places. We need more variety, more height and strength. I don't think Holt's a bad player for what it's worth and has potential to be an asset but squad balance seriously needs addressing and this would just further overload us in the tiny, weak, attacking midfielder position

- Not necessarily the worst, but THE most pointless player I have ever seen. He is so annonymous and contributes so little in a game generally, apart from a couple of recent goals, that he never does anything to constitute him being labelled a bad player.

- I quite like Holt - yes he goes missing but that's generally when the entire midfield does the same. Hard for one player out of three in the midfield to cover when the other two aren't doing much!! He has good technique, quick feet and a decent brain - some of his touches and passing in the first half of the first leg showed that. He was integral in most of our attacking play. He has also scored a few goals (good uns as well) for us this year, and people forget he's still young! Hardly the finished article at 22. Providing it isn't a large fee, and he doesn't want crazy wages (which I doubt Clough would allow anyway a la Freeman first time around), a good signing for me.

- all opinions but in my book this lad is proper useless, absolute GASH, midget, weak, no pace, can't tackle, can't head, total anonymous player.

- Had an eye for goal but really not what we need. Pointless signing.

I'd take him but pals of mine from down there have echoed some of the points posted above, not quite as dramatic mind you. Says he can go missing in games, lightweight etc. Part of me says Blades wouldn't see him so negatively if players like Scougs, Baxter etc weren't there as well, the similar players.

I'd take him but pals of mine from down there have echoed some of the points posted above, not quite as dramatic mind you. Says he can go missing in games, lightweight etc. Part of me says Blades wouldn't see him so negatively if players like Scougs, Baxter etc weren't there as well, the similar players.

Hearts fans saying the same. Though they are saying he's a good player, just not all the time.

Wet on to a Shieffield united forum to see what they were saying:

- Nahhhh not for me! Too lightweight and goes missing in games.Players like Holt are not what you need in this division sorry.

- Not saying he's crap but he needs to do more going forward instead of backwards and sideways.
- Not an improvement on anything we already have. He works very hard but there's nothing much else about his game.

- If the rest of the team played with the same vigor as this lad ,we would be in a much more comfortable position than what we are now .

- Such is BladesMad that quite a few on here were including him in their elevens purely on the basis of a couple of goals when he showed nothing else at all.

- We need big strong midfield players. We have enough small ones and this season has proven that the better teams have big strong midfield players.

- When it get tough Holt (and to some extent Scougall) seem to disappear.

- Please to God tell me we haven't signed Holt? Definitely the worst midfielder ever to pull on the shirt, and we have had some rubbish. If this is true, Clough needs his head testing, Power Pace, and strength, yes he's got 0% of those.

- I do agree Holt is sh1te though!!!

- If he signs Holt, I think have every right to demand their season ticket money back. Is he trying to take us to the bottom tier?

- If this acquisition does go through you have to wonder what role, if any, the hierarchy are taking when it comes to squad building.

It should be the manager's prerogative to acquire players, within financial reason, but after the chaos of last season it would be very odd if someone wasn't querying the acquisition of Holt.

You'd think someone might say did this guy do a great deal last season? You already have Scougall and Reed who are small in stature, do you really need another of the same size? We often failed to impose ourselves or create chances, in what way does this guy improve the likelihood of achieving dominance of possession etc?

- Something has to give here. We can't keep on with Baxter/Reed/Scougall/Holt competing for places. We need more variety, more height and strength. I don't think Holt's a bad player for what it's worth and has potential to be an asset but squad balance seriously needs addressing and this would just further overload us in the tiny, weak, attacking midfielder position

- Not necessarily the worst, but THE most pointless player I have ever seen. He is so annonymous and contributes so little in a game generally, apart from a couple of recent goals, that he never does anything to constitute him being labelled a bad player.

- I quite like Holt - yes he goes missing but that's generally when the entire midfield does the same. Hard for one player out of three in the midfield to cover when the other two aren't doing much!! He has good technique, quick feet and a decent brain - some of his touches and passing in the first half of the first leg showed that. He was integral in most of our attacking play. He has also scored a few goals (good uns as well) for us this year, and people forget he's still young! Hardly the finished article at 22. Providing it isn't a large fee, and he doesn't want crazy wages (which I doubt Clough would allow anyway a la Freeman first time around), a good signing for me.

- all opinions but in my book this lad is proper useless, absolute GASH, midget, weak, no pace, can't tackle, can't head, total anonymous player.

- Had an eye for goal but really not what we need. Pointless signing.

Sounds like Nicky Law in a lot of those posts.

The Sheffield Utd fans sound like the guys who have been running our youth teams for years!!

Never mind his touch, passing and eye for a goal, he's too small and isn't strong enough. We need tall strong players to win headers and that.

Wotte seemed to rate him and with a potentially minimal fee he could be decent!

The Sheffield Utd fans sound like the guys who have been running our youth teams for years!!

Never mind his touch, passing and eye for a goal, he's too small and isn't strong enough. We need tall strong players to win headers and that.

Wotte seemed to rate him and with a potentially minimal fee he could be decent!

When I was looking on their forum some said League 1 was more physical than the Championship. In any case, Warburton has won League 1 before he'll know what's what.

Afraid not. I did go to the Abuse and Accusations thread in the DB because I felt victimised.

It's ok, you will be made to feel welcome in the OT. If I was you I would start with the Holiday Thread, might be on page 1 or page 2. That will give you a flavour of what it is all about and you can see a wee dirty at the same time. Mad props to Gaz52 for that one.