Signings - Spend Big Or Bargain Hunt ?

Ace

Let's say king and co are true on their word about 30m of investment over 3 years. Would people rather we spend more now when players are less likely to want to play in our current division or n a year when we (hopefully) get back to the top league or 2 years when we make it (possibly) into Europe?

I look at Stuart Dallas as an example of warburton finding good players that no one knows of. Just eager for to see who else comes in and how we shape up in friendlies.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is value for money at many levels, we just happen to be shopping at the lowest. Doesn't mean it can't work and I think MW might just have that midas touch to get the best out of them, improve them technically and get them playing to a system as a team.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, he may not get the best out of multi million pound players. That's why he is not in Mouhrino's shoes.

In saying all that, somewhere in the middle would be ideal, but this board do not have the funds to give him.

I don't personally think it's underwhelming. I've just seen a few posts on here where people seem to be giving off the impression that that's how they are finding it so I was just sort of generalising.

I it was McCoist in this situation I would be worried, but because it's Warburton and he's shown he can operate successfully in this market I'm quite happy for us I take the approach that we are.

Agreed.

We moan for a manager who doesn't rely on a chequebook then moan when we get one who doesn't need to flash the cash to spot a player :D

If I'm concerned by anything, and I say this as someone who desperately wants Mark Warburton to succeed, it's the apparent predictability of our signings. Danny Wilson apart, a lot of the players we are linked with are free agents from the same type of lower league clubs. I would like to see imagination and endeavour; I'd like to see a bold statement being made with a purchase of a player who excites the fans, and who has potential to go far. This shouldn't be a team to win the Championship, that is the mistake we made last season, this should be a team for a few years, and ready for the top league.

I'd be happy to build a team of free agents of better quality as W&W are trying too. With one or two signings for a fee.

Look at it as a three step build with January window and next Summer. If we get it right we could buy 4 or 5 quality players and be ready to fuck these manky taigs and all the rest next season.

We defo need to utilise the three windows.

I'm not looking for expensive signings, in fact I'd be happy with frees and even loans, but I do want to see some signings this week at least because this is becoming slightly concerning that we've not signed anyone except the ones we were connected with last month.

We could end up with no decent players left at this pace and I'm beginning to think all this 'be careful' stuff is just a ruse to sign no one. Singing no one would be a bigger tragedy than signing 'experienced oldies' and I don't think it will help our ST sales.

Does MW truly understand the abuse players get in Scotland when they sign for us. We could end up with no one at this rate.

We seem to be buying a pile of second rate shite who have little knowledge of Scottish football.

However I thought our team of 'stars' would romp,the league last season with the quality of Boyd etc in the team .

I'm hoping Mr Warburtons approach pays off this coming season

" Quality of boyd etc!!". the conference league down south is a higher standard than we are amongst, the players our manager's lining up will be of a higher standard than we have overpaid for the last three years. let him get on with it, the guy knows what he's doing, getting grief before he even starts, maybe he should select a panel from on here to advise him!.

I feel like it is moaning for the sake of it from some. We need to see the players and take it from there.

If we were spending £2m on a bunch of players people would be complaining that we were doing things the way we had before and it led to rack and ruin.

I feel like it is moaning for the sake of it from some. We need to see the players and take it from there.

If we were spending £2m on a bunch of players people would be complaining that we were doing things the way we had before and it led to rack and ruin.

That's not quite my complaint, for instance. Perhaps a signing or two, that come with a price and have potential, with players of the calibre that we are linked with would be good.

Personally, I'm happy with the way things are shaping up, it's been long overdue to have a manager that builds a team to fit a style rather than just purely filling it with players for the sake of it. McCoist would buy some amount of dross or tie them up on pre contracts after a good season and expect them to fit straight into a squad, with very little training and development, these players were always going to find it tough.

Warburton is the opposite, he seems calm and collected, he actively looks for players he's worked with before, or looks for ones who know his style and want to play for him. They'll fit into the team and they'll work on systems and shapes. Making the transition easier.

the fee doesn't matter, we finally have the right man in making the right noises, if he develops youngsters, gets us playing well, then what's the issue with the fact he's picked up a couple of frees? Especially if they are like Wilson, who'll come straight into the CB slot, same goes for Warbara if he signs.

Some prudent moves here imo (tu)

Honestly I'm not too confident about the way the team is shaping up just now. Granted it's partially down to not knowing the players that have come in, bar Wilson, but I also worry that these young guys that are coming from Swindon, Doncaster, Wigan etc won't have the correct mentality to handle playing for, and winning with rangers.

Every time I hear war burton speak I feel more relaxed about it but still feel we are a long way off the standard required

Honestly I'm not too confident about the way the team is shaping up just now. Granted it's partially down to not knowing the players that have come in, bar Wilson, but I also worry that these young guys that are coming from Swindon, Doncaster, Wigan etc won't have the correct mentality to handle playing for, and winning with rangers.

Every time I hear war burton speak I feel more relaxed about it but still feel we are a long way off the standard required

Just trust the manager, we have a manager now who knows how to set a team up to play attractive football.

May just be me but Im actually enjoying how we are doing business so far.

Looking to the English lower leagues and snapping up younger talent. Sure I myself know next to nothing about the majority of the players we are getting on trial but its a breath of fresh air in comparison to the last few seasons where we had an influx of SPL journeymen and Ill trust Big Davie and Mr Warburton.

Im still hoping we manage to sign Scott Allan as not only is he a good player but he doesnt hide his ambition of returning to English football and he could well be a nice little money earner for us if we can get him for the right price and sell him on. Like wise I wouldnt be upset to see the likes of Shiels and Templeton moved on. Whilst the likes of Law gets it tight off of fans I feel Shiels and Temps are the kind of player we need rid of first. Lets face it they have barely contributed over their time at Rangers and we should look to recoup something for them.

Anyway cant wait till we get up and running and we see a young dynamic team playing aggressive attacking football.

First time in years Ive felt this positive about our team.

Bargain hunt.

Money will need to be spent in the Premiership, certainly don't need to spend big in the Championship.

Lower league in England will do us fine, especially with Warburton and Weirs contacts down south.

I think a mix of all the types you mentioned is ultimately what we'll end up with. It may be that the signings we've made to date just happen to be free or inexpensive.

In saying that, I don't expect to see players arriving for 3&4 million but I'd be very surprised if we don't add a couple for a little less. As long as they fit the 'value' mould, I think the club will pay the money.

This.

We need to start building for the premiership. We can't hope to challenge for that with loans and bosmans. If we spend like the bottom clubs we will get similar results, regardless of who the manager is.

This time next year, assuming promotion, will be too late to start trying to create a new team. We do need to get some decent signings in now to assure promotion AND form the core of the premiership team.

Hopefully Warburton will live up to the hype and be able to build a good team with a blend of fairly expensive players and loans, frees and Bosmans etc. That is where the managers skill must come in.