Still No Scouting Network

Davie Weir spoke earlier it's causing problems for him and the new manager

Thought scouts were a priority?

Former Brentford boss Warburton has now been brought in to pick up the pieces after last season's failed promotion bid.

He has so far signed up keeper Wes Foderingham and defenders Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan - but the Gers' faithful are keen to see further additions.

However, the Englishman's number two Weir admitted there has still been no progress on re-establishing a scouting set-up.

He said: "Scouting is a fundamental part of any football club and it is a big thing Rangers have lacked.

"The scouting structure hasn't been as thorough as it needs to be and my experience is that the best clubs have the best scouting structures. It is something that over a period of time the club needs to put in place.

"It is definitely one thing we are working on but there has been no changes as of yet.

"Is that having an impact on attempts to rebuild the squad? Yeah, it makes it harder obviously.

"If you have got people and a structure in place that helps. But that takes time. It's important that with players we make the right decisions and it's the same staffing wise."

The scale of the renovation work needed at Ibrox ahead of the club's Ladbrokes Championship promotion drive is not lost on Weir.

The club released 11 first-team players after their humiliating play-off final defeat to Motherwell while a handful of youngsters were also axed.

But assistant manager Weir insists Warburton will not rush his recruitment.

"We are working on it," he said when asked about the club signing targets. "I think 16 or 17 players left at the end of last season so we have brought in some additions and quality additions at that.

"It is important that we get some quality in to help the group that is already here.

"We are working on it but nothing that is imminent.

"We have not found that (playing in the Championship is putting players off). We have brought players in from good levels and everybody we've spoken to and brought in have been really keen to come here.

"They see the infrastructure, the see the stadium, they see the training ground and Rangers have got a lot of things that people want.

"I don't think you can put a number on how many players we need. It's about quality rather than quantity.

"It's difficult but it's maybe better to miss out on certain players if you are not sure about them, rather than jump in and regret it later."

Weir was questioned on rumours linking Gers with Hibernian midfielder Scott Allan but preferred to keep quiet.

He was, however, happy to discuss former Derby battler John Eustace, who will join fellow trialists Reece Wabara and Andy Halliday when Rangers visit Tottenham's Enfield training base on Friday, insisting the 35-year-old will have no problem proving his fitness after a serious knee injury ruled him out for the second half of last term.

Weir said: "I think that everything's all right with John's knee. There's no doubt that he's been checked out, it's just a matter of getting fit now."

Rangers will take on a Spurs youth side in a behind-closed-door clash while in London.

They will then return to Scotland to take on Burnley at Ibrox on July 21 for their only public workout before kicking off their campaign with a Petrofac Training Cup clash with Hibs four days later.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have scouted around and identified players but because they had to effectively 'freelance' Neil Murray in to scout for the new manager coming in they dont have a full time head scout on board. Players that ave been signed have been all MW & DW. Like I said in the transfer thread there was a list of players and contact was made to determine player interest in the club and it was really down to MW to give the green light if he fancies bringing that player to the club.

Tough balancing act here in regards to brining in players. Have to support the principle of not rushing in however it will take time for the squad to gel etc and we want to come out the traps fast at the start of the year. As for the scouting system, what Davie does not say is what the hold up is, can they not identify or secure the right people or....

To be honest i am sick of hearing how important a scouting system is but we still do not have one. How tough can it be? Attract the right candidates and deploy them effectively. Perhaps i am naive on what is required however it is infuriating.

Just like the playing squad, id rather we took our time ensuring we had the correct scouting network in place. Although in an ideal world wed have scouts in quickly, we need scouts that understand the types of player Warburton is looking for, instead of just randomly appointing the first Tom, Dick or Harry so we can say 'We've got a scouting network', that is ultimately pish. Too much recently we've thrown money at a situation and its been a disaster. We need better foundations and long term planning.

I'm not sure that there will be instant success on the pitch as I think we are still a few players short, but i'm much more confident about our style of play, use of youth and recruitment strategy. Taking our time employing the scouts is probably the most important, as it will find players that could help us for years or give us sell on value as opposed to short term thinking.

Rather pointless for a board to appoint Scouts when a new manager can come in and appoint his own, still lets blame the New Board

Its the board that will appoint Scouts not a manager, a good scouting system should be put in place and will be a constant no matter how often we change managers.

I believe the board have been in place now for 4 months, with their previous experience of being involved in running a club they should have been ready to appoint scouts from the first day.It was no surprise to them when they won control in March, they should have had strategic plans in place months before they took control.

Anyone who disagrees with any of the above is just an apologist with their head in the sand

Scouts or no scouts W&W are doing this correctly taking time to make sure every signing is for the benefit of us going forward.

We will have people that are helping the club watch players but we need to get scouting sorted asap

Scouts or no scouts W&W are doing this correctly taking time to make sure every signing is for the benefit of us going forward.

We will have people that are helping the club watch players but we need to get scouting sorted asap

The current board have been in place 4 months and had months before to plan for the takeover.

Its actually very poor that nothing is in place already

Its the board that will appoint Scouts not a manager, a good scouting system should be put in place and will be a constant no matter how often we change managers.

I believe the board have been in place now for 4 months, with their previous experience of being involved in running a club they should have been ready to appoint scouts from the first day.It was no surprise to them when they won control in March, they should have had strategic plans in place months before they took control.

Anyone who disagrees with any of the above is just an apologist with their head in the sand

Purely for balance 'Al', can you point me in the direction of where you criticised the old regime for not having a scouting network in place?

I mean this lot have been in for 4 months (plenty time) and the other lot for 2 years so even more time yeah?

I'm sure you would have posted about it at the time (tu)

Nothing like certain fanctions of our "support" to moan about anythign they can.

Some people need to realise this is not Football Manager where you just hire a scout form the available list. AA network takes time and preparation to put in place. We have a management team who have said all along that this is essential and it will undoubtedtly have been a pre-requisite of them accepting to come here.

It is something that should have been sorted years ago.

I thought the new board would have made it a highish priority.

it was shocking that the old boards never addressed it, but they are gone and its time to focus on this board.

it should have been one of the first things they done considering we were losing most of our first team at the seasons end.