Barry Ferguson

Always rated Barry but always felt if Derek had applied himself he could have been the better of the two.

Played in mixed teams a couple of times with Derek. Great player and Barry was pretty similar to him, but I't give the edge to Barry. Both played with the chest out, looking up and comfortable with the ball at their feet. Barry could lead the team though, something Derek never had in his locker.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging him on his first spell he was fucking immense, remember how pish his shots were?

He worked hard on that and delivered a lot of goals.

Held his own and above that in Europe and was running the show until he decided to leave, I don't particularly hold that against him as much as some do.

He had his brother moaning in his ear to go prove himself elsewhere and he seems a very driven person.

His second spell was mostly pish, neddish behaviour, friends with the filthy bastard Lhennon as well as spearheading the rebellion against the manager of the club.

Believed he was bigger than the club IMO but that said, I do prefer to remember his first spell.

Derek was just coming into his own when Souness arrived you would have thought that would have been the making of him like Durrant.

At the time I thought we had a midfield made in heaven - Souness, Durrant and Derek Ferguson. But for various reasons it never really happened.

In your opinion, just how good was he? For me I think he was one the best in Europe for a good 5 years. Never looked out of place up against the best we played in Europe. Dominated games more often than not, was a superb leader.

He even managed to add goals to his game which pushed him on another level again. Grew up watching him in his prime and for me one of our greatest captains. Many people don't rate him as highly, especially on here in the past which I've never understood.

Was gutted when he left for England and especially for a team like Blackburn. If it wasn't for his injuries I've no doubt he would have ended up at Arsenal, Man Utd etc... Superb player.

Anyone who was up there with the best of Europe wouldn't have spent the majority of their career in Scotland, end of story

What about Laudrup.

Agreed he was amongst the best in Europe while with us. But he didn't spend the majority of his career in Scotland. He spent 4 very good years at us. Also spent time in Denmark Holland Italy Germany and England.

Goram definitely comes under being 1 of the best in Europe and spending the majority of his career in Scotland though. Mccoist (golden boot winner) maybe considered too and maybe even Numan?

In your opinion, just how good was he? For me I think he was one the best in Europe for a good 5 years. Never looked out of place up against the best we played in Europe. Dominated games more often than not, was a superb leader.

He even managed to add goals to his game which pushed him on another level again. Grew up watching him in his prime and for me one of our greatest captains. Many people don't rate him as highly, especially on here in the past which I've never understood.

Was gutted when he left for England and especially for a team like Blackburn. If it wasn't for his injuries I've no doubt he would have ended up at Arsenal, Man Utd etc... Superb player.

He was a fantastic player, one of my all time favourite Rangers players. I know he gets slagged in here and I'll never really understand that to be honest

Ned and embarrassment

Sorry to burst yer bubble but there it is

Aw diddums.

Local boy made good captains his club and country and lives the dream.

Cue jealousy and outrage from silly wee nobodies like you.

You're the embarrassment and your status in life and society is a good rung lower than any ned.

But you knew that already, hence your bitterness,

Diddums.

Good player and was a good leader of a very good team. Always played with his head up, but one criticism, sorry two, he could have been more direct because he could pick a pass and secondly far too friendly with fagbutt teeth.

Fantastic player, controlled games and was a true winner, hated getting beat. How many times did you see him give the ball away, really great technically and in my view a great captain but was flawed in the fact he wanted too much control and involvement at times when he could have let the play flow through others (second time around).

The game v Bayern was one of the best displays from a midfielder I have ever seen - that one turn taking their full midfield out was pure class (purloined like)

The Fernando game summed him up played a 40 yard pass right onto the postage stamp taking 3 players out, then two minutes later went mental at Konterman (I think it was) for losing possession (bad pass - not like him) which led to a goal.

Was glad my son got to see him in that gane even if it was to honour one of our own.

Fantastic player, controlled games and was a true winner, hated getting beat. How many times did you see him give the ball away, really great technically and in my view a great captain but was flawed in the fact he wanted too much control and involvement at times when he could have let the play flow through others (second time around).

The game v Bayern was one of the best displays from a midfielder I have ever seen - that one turn taking their full midfield out was pure class (purloined like)

The Fernando game summed him up played a 40 yard pass right onto the postage stamp taking 3 players out, then two minutes later went mental at Konterman (I think it was) for losing possession (bad pass - not like him) which led to a goal.

Was glad my son got to see him in that gane even if it was to honour one of our own.

Good post.

He was a great player, best in the country at a time. However, one of the world's best? Not a chance.

I'm sure the following would have something to say about that: Zidane, Pirlo, Vieira, Scholes, Xavi, Ballack, Makelele... The list goes on!

He moaned for the ball, got it, squared it and then moaned for the ball only to square it again....and the cycle went on.

Yes he did gave good games.

Not for me.

Definitely comfortable on the ball, but too many square balls and back passes and not enough defence splitting forward passes. Not for me either.

I thought Rangers were a better team when he left in 2009,Steve Davis playing through the middle was probably the difference in us winning the league that year and later that same year Pedro Mendes made the midfield even better.

I liked Ferguson but thought he was a wee bit over rated especially in his second spell after his initial impact.

For me he was the only one that seemed to have the attitude to be able to get the team over the line.If we were slacking he he would be shouting at players and dragging them forward, "No Surrender". Steven Davis was too quiet and went hiding in too many games and think wee Barry was a far better captain. I loved the wee guy but it's dissapointing to hear that he was'nt so good with fans off the park.