Lack Of Signings...deliberate?

OzGers

With a distinct lack of signings and a new season beckoning, I am beginning to get worried..then I got to thinking...

With warburtons ethos to nurture youth, is it possible he intends on going with a lot of our current under 20 crop this season?

Can we see the likes of Ramsay, dykes and Sinnamon come into the first team and follow walsh, mckay, murdoch, Hardie?

Or do we think that significant transfer deals are underway and we may see another 3-4 coming in over the next week or so?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

we need more first team established players imo

not old guys out for a pension, but we need guys that have the experience of playing in proper meaningful games, the u20's as games are good to bring a player on, but we need promotion this season no questions asked, and while a team of youngsters is good, we need youngsters that have already faced competitive games on a regular basis

id say another 2 or 3 guys that have top team experience anywhere else is vital,

With a distinct lack of signings and a new season beckoning, I am beginning to get worried..then I got to thinking...

With warburtons ethos to nurture youth, is it possible he intends on going with a lot of our current under 20 crop this season?

Can we see the likes of Ramsay, dykes and Sinnamon come into the first team and follow walsh, mckay, murdoch, Hardie?

Or do we think that significant transfer deals are underway and we may see another 3-4 coming in over the next week or so?

Its a big mistake anybody who watched us play the scum in the Youth game can see we don't have an abundance of strong youth, we got battered.

Yet we are expecting these youth players to do better over a season against stronger opponents.

The Manager has to be Given the best chance possible he seems to be getting let down on that score by this board.

Lack of signings?

We've signed 3 first team players and 2 'youths' and have two more players on trial, at least one of which looks like being signed next week.

Like Stockholm syndrome on here.

Some actually want us to buy a new team every season now.

Its a big mistake anybody who watched us play the scum in the Youth game can see we don't have an abundance of strong youth, we got battered.

Yet we are expecting these youth players to do better over a season against stronger opponents.

The Manager has to be Given the best chance possible he seems to be getting let down on that score by this board.

You're assuming there smile, why not give them the benefit of the doubt.

was that not mccoists long term plan

Correct. I defended it as well, because I felt we had to ensure success.

I've had arguments on here with people who were against bringing in experience in neglect of the youths for the last 3 years. That's flip-flopped now. :lol:

The mercenary route was a complete failure in the end, sorry Jim, and we have signed a manager who relies on youth. People need to open their eyes and buy into the 'new' philosophy, that those same people have been preaching in support of for years. Up until now...

When King spoke in his press conference a while back, he spoke about a correlation between spending more money = success. Which is true to a point, but obviously on reflection with last season and how it went for us, that outlook bothered me.

I'm actually not too fussed about us not spending much right now, we've addressed three areas in which we were incredibly deficient last year. We also have two or three trialists on board still. Add to that the potential addition of Harry Winks and the fact that the manager will have gone in with a clean slate for these players - some of them might take it, some it might require a couple of competitive games before Warburton makes up his mind whether he'll want to move them on or not.

There's still over a month and a half to go in the window, the league won't be won or lost in the opening matches.

Add in the fact Hardie is going to be in and around the first team, Walsh? Still got McKay and Gallagher to think about who did decent enough jobs with lesser clubs in this division. Could easily see Sinamon being a back up (though I've not watched a whole lot of him.) Bit of time and patience required here I think.

You're assuming there smile, why not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Its about opinions this is my opinion, whether you agree or not is entirely up to you.

I hope I'm wrong and we beat every team we play.

I think people are impatient to see more signings when they see so many players from the first team squad leaving however our squad was probably too big last season and we carried too much deadwood.

We will make more signings but what we're seeing is a realignment of the size of squad to one more sensible in terms of our finances at the moment.

Like Stockholm syndrome on here.

Some actually want us to buy a new team every season now.

What are you two dickheads on about? We lost 11 first team players, we've gained 3

Our squad is absolutely threadbare and if you think we will be championship winners and compete in all fronts with no additions your both deluded

My post did not suggest we would sign..it is saying we NEED 3-4 players but will they come up from youth or will Warburton bring them in

What are you two dickheads on about? We lost 11 first team players, we've gained 3

Our squad is absolutely threadbare and if you think we will be championship winners and compete in all fronts with no additions your both deluded

My post did not suggest we would sign..it is saying we NEED 3-4 players but will they come up from youth or will Warburton bring them in

A criticism last season by many was how bloated our squad was. How average journeymen were paid handsomely to sit on the bench or just train. That won't happen this season.

Lack of signings?

We've signed 3 first team players and 2 'youths' and have two more players on trial, at least one of which looks like being signed next week.

How do you possibly expect us to compete with 3 signings? Yes there was deadwood last season but we had 11 off contract and all have gone

I agree we don't need 11 but we need at least 7-8 so again, do we expect these to be promoted youth given there seems to be limited transfer dealings underway only two weeks out from 1st game?

People need to open their eyes and buy into the 'new' philosophy, that those same people have been preaching in support of for years. Up until now...

Massive massive difference now

The mercenary route is out of the question, and thank fuck it is, however the time from giving youths a season or 2 to develop in the first team is long gone, well for most of them anyway, we can, and should, use this season to properly develop about 5 or 6 over the course of the season into first team squad members fighting for a first team place, however this league is unforgiving, untried first team youth players will need longer than we can give them to get it right

division 3 and 2 will go down as the biggest missed opportunity we have ever seen at the club

A criticism last season by many was how bloated our squad was. How average journeymen were paid handsomely to sit on the bench or just train. That won't happen this season.

No one said it would nor does my post say this.

But only adding 3 is too thin on the ground...I have no doubt more will be added to squad, my question is from where- our promoted youth or transfers?

No one said it would nor does my post say this.

But only adding 3 is too thin on the ground...I have no doubt more will be added to squad, my question is from where- our promoted youth or transfers?

We will add more in signings and our youth will get game time. I'm not panicking about it though.

I don't think theres any need to panic and certainly don't think that there is any ploy of not deliberately signing players.MW and DW have both said they wont be bringing players to the club for the sake of it.Im sure they will have targets in mind as they have already shown that they recognise where they need to strengthen ie goal keeper,two centre halfs,and will be working to bring players required to the club.Everyone knows this is a massive season for the club and im sure MW and DW know that for sure.Lets give them time and try and show a bit of patience with these guys and have some faith in their ability.

Massive massive difference now

The mercenary route is out of the question, and thank fuck it is, however the time from giving youths a season or 2 to develop in the first team is long gone, well for most of them anyway, we can, and should, use this season to properly develop about 5 or 6 over the course of the season into first team squad members fighting for a first team place, however this league is unforgiving, untried first team youth players will need longer than we can give them to get it right

division 3 and 2 will go down as the biggest missed opportunity we have ever seen at the club

tbh Jim that sounds ridiculous.

We should have went with youth in div 3, league 1, which we did but not to the same degree we will this season, because it's not possible in the top two leagues? So the plan was rely on youth to get us back then go out and buy European class players and neglect the next lot of youths because their time is long gone?

You've changed your tune over the last 3 years too. :)

I think people may have severely underestimated the goals the club have in appointing MW, we are transitioning to a team that produces regular youth. It will take time to bed in, and it will be harder to see through if success is not instantaneous due to fan pressure but it's happening. Up to fans if they want to buy into the model on offer.

I always maintained that if fans truly wanted youth to get their opportunities then it was up to us collectively to create an environment conducive to that. We can't sit and blame the managers for not picking them, then demanding instant success and to splash the cash when they commit to picking them. People need to decide what they actually want.

MW has a clean slate, the transfer window does not close till end of August, we are going to play more youth, we are going to play high tempo, pressing football, building from the back, and as long as we don't forget the need to win every game then we will be fine. Lose a game or two, early doors, and things might be a bit tetchy!