Another Player Coming Out To The Press...

rosco88

...this time though it's Jig, who to be fair has stated some things that would suggest the players werent always allowed to be honest at media conferences...or he's just trying to save his bacon!

Kilmarnock: Lee McCulloch leaves 'worst year' at Rangers behind

Lee McCulloch is looking forward to a fresh start at Kilmarnock having felt he ended his long Rangers career as the "fall guy" for a turbulent season.

The 37-year-old Scotland international has joined the top-flight club as a player-coach on a three-year contract.

"The last year was probably the worst I've ever experienced in football," he said, reflecting on Rangers' failure to win promotion to the Premiership.

"With all of the off-field problems, it was a car crash waiting to happen."

McCulloch joined the club he supported as a boy in 2007 after leaving Wigan Athletic.

He remained at Ibrox despite Rangers' financial collapse and captained the side to the League Two and League One titles.

But he found a section of the support turning against him after their attempt to secure a third straight title and promotion began to falter last season.

"It's not nice, that's for sure, but somebody's going to get it," said McCulloch, agreeing that events at Rangers left him close to "breaking point".

"The boys weren't doing it on the pitch, it's as simple as that.

"I was just the fall guy, being the captain, and I take full responsibility.

"But I don't want to focus on the last few months because I had eight tremendous years."

Rangers were embroiled in a boardroom battle that eventually led to atakeover by a group led by former Rangers director Dave Kingand McCulloch was unable to speak freely about it to the media.

"The fans were protesting against the board and, three or four times, I wanted to come out, but I was told not to," he said.

"When we weren't playing well, I wanted to say that the team was massively underachieving and so is the club, but I was told to say 'we'll bounce back at the weekend'.

"And that must have been so frustrating for the fans to read in the papers or on social media, but you need to keep your mouth shut or you're breaching contract."

McCulloch believes that Rangers' new management team of Mark Warburton and David Weir will be a success.

It had looked like McCulloch might be part of their backroom team and he revealed: "We had talks, but Kilmarnock was the move for me.

"You can't move into a new job holding baggage from the past. You need to let go and focus on the future."

McCulloch made 46 appearances last season but does not expect to add to his career tally.

"I know I'm registered as a player, but I don't see myself playing," he added. "I'm here to help the younger ones get into the first team.

"I'm joining a big club that's not been punching its weight, that's been underachieving for the last four or five years, but when you look at the stadium, the facilities, it's a top-six club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33510028

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee McCulloch was loyal to the club when we dropped to division 3. Its a real shame he had to play against part time players, guys who are out all day grafting on building sites. And Rangers only payed him £52000 a month to do this.

If Jig had made our bet instead of you, he'd have Ebola by now. Real men stand by their word. Well done on at least paying the £50.

you may want to re-examine that thread

you conflated two posts

my bet was clearly stated and I paid on it

and im glad to read that you are going to shove 50 in too

well done you

Captains should speak the truth.

Managers should speak the truth.

Under performing players should have it made clear with no ambuguity that poor results and under achieving will not be tolerated.

Fans were spoon fed shite, some players probably believed it, and it was undermining to talk in such a way.

Regardless what guidance or instruction given.

Not surprising of him or our Dud manager though.

you may want to re-examine that threadyou conflated two postsmy bet was clearly stated and I paid on itand im glad to read that you are going to shove 50 in toowell done you

I'm well aware of what you posted.

Perhaps, from now on, you'll think before you post in future...

"With all of the off-field problems, it was a car crash waiting to happen."

as much as the old board, the new board, the ex manager and a section of the fans are to blame for that, i fail to see how the off field issues could cause a team getting a total of 7mill a year in wages, to not be able to beat the likes of livingston, alloa and the rest of that division

as much as the old board, the new board, the ex manager and a section of the fans are to blame for that, i fail to see how the off field issues could cause a team getting a total of 7mill a year in wages, to not be able to beat the likes of livingston, alloa and the rest of that division

If that's the case why do the richest clubs in the world lose games and players on £100k+ a week play badly?

Mon Jim. Wish our former captain good luck, a man who gave us 8 years. Helped win leagues, cups and make a European Final. It's not that hard.