Rangers Dad's

Reading the thread about 'family members that don't care for Rangers (football)'

Got me thinking about the dad's how do you cope when your kids aren't interested? And if they are interested how did you do it?

My son is 5 months old and it just doesn't bare thinking about if he doesn't get the bug for it. My dad wasn't around to take me to games so it's always been my dream to have a son and show him the way.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the thread about 'family members that don't care for Rangers (football)'

Got me thinking about the dad's how do you cope when your kids aren't interested? And if they are interested how did you do it?

My son is 5 months old and it just doesn't bare thinking about if he doesn't get the bug for it. My dad wasn't around to take me to games so it's always been my dream to have a son and show him the way.

My daughter was 3 when we came back from the U.S. - her next two years were in a nursery where the nurses were heats fans and she said she was a hearts supporter ( we always said make your own mind up) but because I was her dad she wanted to come to games with me - I first took her when she was 6 and she said she wanted the top - I said only supporters get a top - she said she now supported Rangers - so I bought her the top and she is now 22 and been to many games and a passionate supporter .

Moral of the story - bribery works! :lol:

Bluenoses are born, not manufactured.

We do not choose, we are chosen.

Those who understand, need no explanation.

Those who don't understand, don't matter.

Always thought of this poem to be accurate. I don't know what I would do if my wee yin wasn't interested. Thankfully for me it's all been second nature so I far.

I've took the wee man to Ibrox before but he was only about 18 months old, and wouldn't sit at peace. I have him cheering Rangers goals and videos, but the one of the best moments in my life actually happened on Tuesday with him. We took him to the Rangers shop at Ibrox for the strip he's 2 and a bit now, and when we stopped outside the shop he started shouting "RANGERS" over and over again. :D

I get him to shout it at home but I didn't think he knew much about what he was shouting and why he was shouting it, but Tuesday showed me he does know and he recognises Ibrox and the Rangers badge.

Brilliant. :D

I worried about this also. My 2 year old son, loves football but. Goes to a wee football class and has done since he was 17 months. Always shouting about Rangers and Ibrox. Lol. In fact not long ago,my missus and me went out for dinner with the wee man and there was a screen with England game on mute as we were being shown to our seats. The place was fairly quiet with people eating their meals and the wee fella clocks the football on and starts shouting, Daddy! Rangers! Rangers! Haha. A few guests had a giggle at him, but the missus just tuts and says oh he's just turning into you! That's my boy.

I've took the wee man to Ibrox before but he was only about 18 months old, and wouldn't sit at peace. I have him cheering Rangers goals and videos, but the one of the best moments in my life actually happened on Tuesday with him. We took him to the Rangers shop at Ibrox for the strip he's 2 and a bit now, and when we stopped outside the shop he started shouting "RANGERS" over and over again. :D

I get him to shout it at home but I didn't think he knew much about what he was shouting and why he was shouting it, but Tuesday showed me he does know and he recognises Ibrox and the Rangers badge.

Brilliant. :D

I know that feeling well mate. Sounds exactly like my wee yin. Any game on the telly he shouts Rangers at but. Took him down to ibrox and told him its Rangers' house so that what he tells people. Hopefully get to take him to a game this season just so he experiences it. He was 2 in March there.

I know that feeling well mate. Sounds exactly like my wee yin. Any game on the telly he shouts Rangers at but. Took him down to ibrox and told him its Rangers' house so that what he tells people. Hopefully get to take him to a game this season just so he experiences it. He was 2 in March there.

My wee guy was 2 in March aswell, me and her just started laughing when he was shouting it. The brainwashing is working. :lol:

I think I might try and take him to the Burnley game.

My dad told me a couple years ago he felt bad about taking my brother and I up to Ibrox when we were young (5-8). Because he said we looked bored and didn't seem interested at the time. I remember running around the concourse behind the Club Deck with my brother and cousin more than the games themselves.

But, I told him those trips up on the sleeper train to see my family's team left an indelible mark on me. I can't thank him enough for sharing Rangers FC with me. I was always born to be a Bear, but those memories going to watch Rangers with my dad are some of my happiest.

I'm not a father, I say this as a son, take your children. Share with them the greatness of Rangers FC. They'll appreciate it in the end. (tu)

My wee guy was 2 in March aswell, me and her just started laughing when he was shouting it. The brainwashing is working. :lol:

I think I might try and take him to the Burnley game.

Defo working at this end anyway :lol:

Love nothing better than seeing him running about the garden in his kit kicking the ball about. Will love being able to take him to games with me. Love it.

Some good stories lads, Thought I'd need to wait at least 5 years to take him but some of you are taking your kids at 2 so not that long to wait ?

Why wait? My boy has had his ST from the womb. The day we got told he was to be a boy at the scan will never leave me straight from the scan to Ibrox first kit bought and ST. Been taking him from about 6months he loves it just turned 2 and runs about kicking a ball shouting Rangers does the bouncy and dambusters.. Recognises the badge and cheers at goals. Being a Rangers dad and a Rangers son, a Rangers nephew and a Rangers uncle I would say it's never too early if the kid shows an interest and enjoys it there is not many things that can bring as much pride and happiness as sharing the love of something with your kid/dad/family.

Why wait? My boy has had his ST from the womb. The day we got told he was to be a boy at the scan will never leave me straight from the scan to Ibrox first kit bought and ST. Been taking him from about 6months he loves it just turned 2 and runs about kicking a ball shouting Rangers does the bouncy and dambusters.. Recognises the badge and cheers at goals. Being a Rangers dad and a Rangers son, a Rangers nephew and a Rangers uncle I would say it's never too early if the kid shows an interest and enjoys it there is not many things that can bring as much pride and happiness as sharing the love of something with your kid/dad/family.

Why when told it would be a boy? Wee lassies need to be made Bearettes too!

Why when told it would be a boy? Wee lassies need to be made Bearettes too!

Got 2 girls mate call me old fashioned or even sexist but I prefer them not to be interested. They have a soft spot for the gers right enough and think c****c are bad and know if they want they can come support Rangers. I couldn't have my girls seeing and hearing me at the games

I'm thinking of taking my 5yr old son to his first game this season, he's finally been able to get into the games on the TV, shouting and cheering for nearly the full 90mins.....When he was 4ish I couldn't get him to concentrate for long enough. It all changed though within a few months. Take him to these footy schools which has helped as well.

What helped was I was given a Wii for him and have Pro Evo but from 2008, he got into football and Rangers more from that, constantly wanting to be Rangers. The only problem was that he started to think that Darchville, Barry, Cueller etc were our players still! I had to then spend fucking ages putting the new team in. Being an old format you couldn't change the players skin tone, so it totally confused him when watching us on TV and Nicky Clark wasn't black!!

I haven't really put that much pressure on my daughter, who's now 8, to like Rangers but she likes going to the odd game and asks about the score and some historical stuff. I'm hopeful she'll be a fan but at the very least she won't ever change teams.

She's sang Penny Arcade and Follow Follow from a young age. I give myself a 'must do better'.

In my opinion it's our responsibility as fans to take the wider family to games to let them catch the bug. It ensures the club goes on forever.

Got 2 girls mate call me old fashioned or even sexist but I prefer them not to be interested. They have a soft spot for the gers right enough and think c****c are bad and know if they want they can come support Rangers. I couldn't have my girls seeing and hearing me at the games

Ach, geez peace, you! Get them along to support the Bears! :D

Less chance of you ending up with timmy grand wains that way. :)

My dad took us all to watch Rangers from an early age. I took my two sons to Ibrox when they were boys, took my grandaughter a few times but she wasn't that interested in football at all. We will take my grandson when he's a bit older(18 months).

Ach, geez peace, you! Get them along to support the Bears! :D

Less chance of you ending up with timmy grand wains that way. :)

Haha don't dare. I didn't know there was less of a chance than zero chance. Jokes are meant to be funny not give me the fear. My girls wouldn't do that to me I'm a good da. They think c****c are bad and their fans don't change clothes. Which is pretty accurate when u see them walking about in green and grey for days on end.

me and the mrs are expecting our first in September but its a girl we are having

hopefully she will take an interest but its no quite the same

the wifes family are St Mirren fans and she has said she will only get a top when shes old enough to decide what one she wants but i will be fucked if im letting her wear a St Mirren top and support that shower of shite.