Average Age Of The Squad!

I'm pretty sure I said on here at some point last season that McGregor will come good for us in a couple of years :anguish::lol:

There is always a slight chance you could still be on the money with that prediction,mate! A professional footballer generally hits his peak around the 28-32 mark of his career, unless he is a late starter, which technically McGregor is as he really never came into the Pro ranks on a regular basis until he was 23-24 yrs old.

I do have to admit that McGregor will have to work his arse off in training to get a starting spot in our new look defence and will probably be on the bench more times than not, unless Tavernier and/or Wallace is injured/suspended.

I have a feeling that if Kiernan or Wilson is out then Warburton will turn to Zaliukas or Luca Gasparotto to fill the central position which will leave Darren McG to fight for a wide defensive spot.

With today's two signings, our squads average age is now: 25.

I can't remember a time in our recent history when our average age was so low. Obviously the squad is untested yet, and we don't really know what it is capable of, but I think that stat alone....considering how much first team experience these players have, is really refreshing. Perhaps we will also sign a couple of more players...so this may also come down a fraction again!

Bell: 28

Foderingham: 24

Zliukas: 31

Wilson: 23

Kiernan: 24

McGregor: 29

Tavernier: 23

Wallace: 27

Halliday: 23

Law: 27

Crawford: 22

Murdoch: 20

Templeton: 26

Aird: 20

Shiels: 30

Miller: 36

Clark: 24

McKay: 20

Waghorn: 25

.. And if we keep the guts of the squad together for 3 years the average age will be 28 - I'm not sure I read to much into this one way or the other - what matters is 'team performance progression' overall and I guess a younger squad might indicate that the squad can develop together. Anyway exciting times!

imagine we took this mindset back in division 3

instead flops like cribari, black, kyle and sandaza were getting games :anguish:

I sure as hell hope this squad is as good on the field as it is in folks minds - a lot of folk taking the 'different = good' position and I sure as hell hope it is. Hindsight strategy and decision making is always easy. Anyway exciting times!

.. And if we keep the guts of the squad together for 3 years the average age will be 28 - I'm not sure I read to much into this one way or the other - what matters is 'team performance progression' overall and I guess a younger squad might indicate that the squad can develop together. Anyway exciting times!

I get what you're saying, but your post suggests we may be no further forward in those 3 years. I'm hoping that this squad can stay pretty much together and any players that leave or are sold are replaced with those of similar standard. (tu)

What a difference. This is what we should've done when they players walked after admin. We blew that chance so no point moaning about it anymore.

Let's just hope that they are good enough to get us back into the premiership and give us a good start our first season back up there.

I get what you're saying, but your post suggests we may be no further forward in those 3 years. I'm hoping that this squad can stay pretty much together and any players that leave or are sold are replaced with those of similar standard. (tu)

I did mention it was all about 'developing' the squad - by which I meant improving - and we need to keep improving if we are to get back to Europe and so we'll want to be improving and adding quality ( and churning some poorer players and selling some of the better ones) all in all quite a juggling act for MW

Davie doesn't need shin pads, he us hard as fuck.

No surrender Davie Weir!!!

He certainly is but Warburton's rules are; nae shinpads, nae fitba' :pipe:

It's amazing how time flies in because I remember seeing Davie Weir play his first season in Scottish football for Falkirk in the 1992-93 season when I was over on holiday and I was hopeful Rangers would sign him. I guess getting him 15 years later was better than nothing :lol:

He was a right back in those days and i never though he'd be our Captain and playing centre half for us when he was 41 yrs old. What a career :praise: