Foderingham

Too early to say. Not seen enough to say if he's going to be a capable shot stopper or with cross balls etc.

I think it's difficult for him in terms of distribution, because it's clear he's under instruction to play to feet at ALL opportunities, even with risk. Never easy for a goalie, and it will mean some mistakes, but it looks to me that Warburton's decided he'll take a few mistakes rather than punts up the pitch.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the under 20s play Coleraine on Friday night. Young goalkeeper was exactly the same.Both goalies obviously instructed to pass the ball out. Both under pressure when no pass was on.In these situations a punt up the park or a ball into row z is not a bad option.

His distribution was 50-50, so for that I'm willing to give him time. Some of his passes were well placed and helped us start quick attacks, he was always looking for a quick release as well: as opposed to our usual method of pretending to look for a man then lumping it up field.

He's a modern day sweeper keeper, and I'm certain he'll come good. He's the first Rangers keeper in a long time that I can remember coming for crosses and corners.

I remember when Ange Postecoglou ( Coach of Australian National team) became coach of Brisbane Roar in 2009 and completely transformed that club into the most successful winning club in the history of Australian football by doing similar as Mark Warburton is doing now at Rangers. He got rid of the old guard such as Craig Moore, Bob Malcolm, Charlie Miller and goalkeeper Liam Reddy (who was a big hoomph up the park type) and signed young players who would play passing football from the goalkeeper onwards.

For a while it led to Roar losing all kinds of daft goals with their 'keeper getting into situations exactly the way big Wes Foderingham did on Saturday and the crowd would go ballistic because Michael Theoklitos wouldn't punt it anywhere when put under pressure, but Postecoglu stuck to his guns and insisted he would rather lose a goal than see his keeper hit a ball in the air to nobody in particular.

As the season wore on it was very evident that the quick passing game favoured by Postecoglou was going to be a massive success and was great football enjoyed by their supporters and even non-supporters of the Roar,even if it did cost some goals

I have enough faith in MW that his brand of football and his choice of players is the way football should be played by Rangers, so let's not be too critical of Foderingham and the defence at the moment because until they fine tune everything we will probably see some daft goals scored against us. :pipe:

His kicking was shite aye. Looked nervous and at least it's a trainable skill, his instincts, shot stopping and ability to come of his line look good.

Give him time. Pal of mine a Championship team fan let me know that 12 month ago several teams were in for him at around £1M. Bets says he's no that bad

This will take time to get used to but the main thing for us to do is be patient and not get on their backs even if a daft goal is conceded. hibs and burnley are probably the best opposition we will come up against for a while and other teams might not press as much so hopefully he can grow into it and be comfortable before coming up against premiership teams in the cups in the second half of the season.

Actually think the big man did well, always looked for the right pass that would get us turned and driving at Hibs, most of the misplaced ones were either slightly overhit/underhit or the midfielder wasn't reading what he was trying to do. That'll come with time, the bonus is he was prepared to get on the ball and try and play, with Bell, the ball would be coming straight back after a aimless punt.

A few shaky moments, granted, but that's the way Warburton wants us to play and I'd have no qualms with big Foderingham continuing to do what he's doing, it'll only be become more slick and the players will know what he's doing and read it, and Foderingham will become much more relaxed with the set up.