Rangers Defending Corners.

Oscar2012

Again after watching Coleraine and Hibs games I was delighted to seeRangers leave two players on the halfway line when defending corners.Both opposing teams had to keep three players back to counter this.This leaves space in the box for defenders to attack the ball and clear it.However I would suggest that like McCoist and Hatley in there prime they should move constantly. Left wing towards the centre centre to right wing and back again. Defenders get no peace and even the chance of one of them getting on a ball just cleared from the box towards the halfway line increases from 50 percent to 66 percent.

Again after watching Coleraine and Hibs games I was delighted to seeRangers leave two players on the halfway line when defending corners.Both opposing teams had to keep three players back to counter this.This leaves space in the box for defenders to attack the ball and clear it.However I would suggest that like McCoist and Hatley in there prime they should move constantly. Left wing towards the centre centre to right wing and back again. Defenders get no peace and even the chance of one of them getting on a ball just cleared from the box towards the halfway line increases from 50 percent to 66 percent.

(tu)

Why not leave 10 players on halfway ?

We can add this baffling 'tactic' to the big book of baffling tactics as written by A McCoist

This one, and the three touch free kick were particular irritants to me

i think we still look dodgy defending corners and high balls, few times v hibs that wallace left his man unmarked at the back post

Good shout. Noticed this a few times in the first half hour, couple balls into the back post and Wallace left his man unmarked. Nearly caught out. I think though in the coming weeks our defence will get tighter and knit together better.

How does it increase from half to two thirds? if there's 2 of our players and 3 of theirs there's more chance of a defender getting the ball.

Moving across the line doesn't increase the chances as there's as much chance the ball will get cleared to a vacant spot as one occupied by our two forwards.

That aside - I agree with you :D .

Hated the ridiculous tactic of 11 players back employed by the Dud. Just ridiculous.

In terms of clearing the ball it is actually something that can be tactical if in training they practice long ball clearances but do so in the knowledge of where the forwards are / should be. For instance one centrally who comes short and the other stays far wide at the same / opposite side from the side the corner is taken. Small things like this give more chance of a long ball clearance staying in our possession.

Secondly, I do think height is lacking a bit in our side. Think we'll do a fair bit of positional work to make sure those with the best aerial ability take up the key positions. Definitely a weak point against teams with an aerial strength, but one we'll have to accept and deal with to have smaller ball players playing the MW way.

I'm sure the more our defence plays as a unit the better they will become just takes a little time and patience.

Still remember AM asking everyone to turn out for last game at Ibrox against Berwick Rangers up one nil league won and still defending corners with 11 men in box shambles of a management team but onward and upwards.

I'm sure the more our defence plays as a unit the better they will become just takes a little time and patience.

Still remember AM asking everyone to turn out for last game at Ibrox against Berwick Rangers up one nil league won and still defending corners with 11 men in box shambles of a management team but onward and upwards.

In stark contrast to MW's philosophy,under McCoist we would have threw on more defenders when hibs pulled it back to 3-2....but Mark throws on 2 strikers and we score another 3 goals!!