10 Biggest Unsung Heroes For Rangers

Definitely a well documnted hero is Brian Laudraup

I had the privelage to watch this man play when I was a wean attending my first Rangers games and I suppose he is my all time favourite Ranger and definitely part of the reason I enjoy football and love Rangers so much.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot disagree with any of this. Stuart Munro was underestimated by everyone, kept seeing of signing after signing by Souness. It was a Rangers player (Gary Stevens) that effectively brought his time at Ibrox to an end through injury.

can you remind me how Gary Stevens brought Munro`s time at Rangers to and end ? bit confused as they played opposite sides.

I would say definately Thomas buffell who was a cracking wee player, hemdani and nerlinger have to be up there with being underrated. Charlie Adam as well never got the credit he was due.

Cruel indeed, mate. Captained us in the last game of his career in 1995.

The thing that hammers home just how early he had to retire is when you think that Davie Weir is actually older than Alan McLaren.

McLaren played a fair bit later than 1995, I'm sure. Definitely played in the 9 in a row season.

Unsung heroes lol that blog is shocking. Not as bad as his other stuff though so negative definately not the kind of fan we need to have a platform.

For me I would say cult heroes shouldn't be included as they are clearly not unsung and same with the almost ever presents of 9 in a row.. Some of us would even call them legends.

Maybe my age doesn't allow me to remember these players getting the praise.

Bobby Russell - great technique

Brahim Hemdani - great as a holding midfielder especially in Europe

Alan McClaren - solid centre half captain at Tannadice

Peter Hustria - great winger

Erik Bo Anderson - parkhead double

Dave McPherson - dependable centre half

Charlie Miller - that left foot cross for laudrups 9iar goal

Andy Dibble - came in when needed

Sergio Porrini - a top right back over looked because of others in the squad

Rod Wallace - amazing signing

Trevor Francis for that penalty in the 1987 Scottish League Cup Final.

Nigel Spackman was quality too.

We were in every League Cup final from 1986 to 1994 bar one and I think we played Aberdeen in four of those. When I was a wee yin it just seemed to be a wee early season bonus; a cup final before Christmastime. Most of those games against Aberdeen were classics too.

In the other three finals not contested against Aberdeen, we beat Timmy twice and poor, old Jim Leighton lined up against us for Hibs in yet another Gers victory. He must have been sick of the sight of those onrushing blue jerseys coming towards him through his vaseline-impaired vision.

McLaren played a fair bit later than 1995, I'm sure. Definitely played in the 9 in a row season.

I think that would have been Bjorklund and Petric who were at the back with Gough by that time.

EDIT - Oops... You're right. Brainfart. :blush: His last cap for Scotland was in 1995. Last game for us aged 28 in 1999.

I did think that I remembered him playing in the game where Gazza was cigar-smoking in front of MacNamara on the touchline.

Unfortunately he spent quite a lot of time injured during the last couple of years with us. I would never have guessed that it was Advocaat that gave him his last start as captain. Just don't remember that at all.

EDIT2 - No wonder I remembered the cigar-smoking Old Firm game. It was McLaren who scored the only goal. :lol:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+HOW+I+WAS+LEFT+FUMING+BY+GAZZA+CIGAR+TRICK%3B+McNamara's...-a0100692781

I always thought Gordon Smith got overlooked because of DJ, but I loved watching him play for us, and he scored plenty, was let go far to soon.

Had the knack of scoring goals against the Tims regularly too.

Also scored regularly down south.

Always thought that Jean Claude Darcheville doesn't got the credit he deserves. He played a big part in getting us to Manchester in 2008. Ran himself into the ground every game though, I think the UEFA cup final was the only game he played 90 minutes in for us :lol:

Always thought that Jean Claude Darcheville doesn't got the credit he deserves. He played a big part in getting us to Manchester in 2008. Ran himself into the ground every game though, I think the UEFA cup final was the only game he played 90 minutes in for us :lol:

His celebration was cool

Going back a bit as I,m an auld bear, a few I would like to nominate are Davie Provan( arguably one of the nicest guys you could hope to talk to), Billy Ritchie( a very good goalie), and big Tam Forsyth( remember his goal from 3"), or was it that far out. There are hundreds of ex players who could be considered unsung heroes; I would say there are few who are not this at least. Until the events of 2012, 99.99% of Gers players knew what it was all about and were all heroes in their own way. WATP

Great posting. Davie Wilson, Jimmy Millar, Wullie Mathieson, Colin Jackson for me. Met Davie Provan once and was struck by how friendly he was.

Dave Smith worth a second mention. Lots of players struggle to comeback after a broken leg, he did it twice. Played left half but was also incredibly talented playing behind the defence in the sweepers role. His contribution to the 1972 campaign should never be overlooked or underestimated.

Great player.