Oduwa...showboating Can Bite You On The Chorus And Verse.

Uncle Bertrum

On another thread, I have reminded us of how Slim Jim’s showboating against Rapid Vienna in the last minute, could maybe have cost us the European Cup in 1964 by getting his leg broken in retaliation for his piss-take.

There are plenty of other examples of how it has bitten us on the ar se, so maybe we should have our players take note.

Billy Johnston famously took the piss out of none other than The Kaiser at Ibrox, one of the greatest players ever to grace the game, by sitting on the ball in front of him and inviting him to come and get it. He also was not averse to doing the same against the filth when the going was good.

All very entertaining I can assure you, but then after Billy did it against Hearts during a victory, it came back to bite us in a game shortly afterwards. Donald Park (I think that’s right) returned the compliment of sitting on the ball at Ibrox, then stood up and provided a cross for a game winning goal to be scored.

The point is that although we love it, and it’s something I hope never disappears from the game, make sure you don’t get subsequently embarrassed by an opposition player reciprocating at a later date...or putting you out of the game for months while you're doing it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get what your saying but i think its all about Rangers and its pay back time ,,,,,,,like you say what goes around comes around and the way our clubs been treated i for one have no fear of any foe.

I know this is just a Blog but it does sum up how people outta Scotland perceive the lower Scottish Leagues as Pub Teams.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2015/8/16/9161335/tottenham-hotspur-nathan-oduwa-rangers-ronaldo

It was Alloa we were playing and its how we should have put them to the sword last season but i agree a Professional Player should think before showboating against the opposition but the lad is 19 years old,keen to impress and we have all done silly things when young.

They sent us home happy!

RTID

If I was his manager I would be telling that left back to concentrate in cutting out shots and passes, the first goal and the cross for the third goal, and maybe the opposition wouldn't be relaxed enough to try some tricks.
Sour grapes.

I know, I'm dreading Alloa doing the same to us in the next match.

There might be a difference between Alloa taking the piss and some tarrier playing for another team deciding to teach somebody a lesson for "trying to be smart".

Is it possible that some player might do that? Nah, there probably aren't any tarriers out there who think like that, right?

There might be a difference between Alloa taking the piss and some tarrier playing for another team deciding to teach somebody a lesson for "trying to be smart".

Is it possible that some player might do that? Nah, there probably aren't any tarriers out there who think like that, right?

I don't give a fuck what any other teams think, or want to try.

So you suggesting we play like pussies incase someone wants to have a go?

You post a pile of shit tbf so I hope you enjoy your short stay on here.

I don't give a fuck what any other teams think, or want to try.

So you suggesting we play like pussies incase someone wants to have a go?

You post a pile of shit tbf so I hope you enjoy your short stay on here.

Playing like pussies is not an approach I would advocate. I'd rather we pumped teams into the turf, which seems to be the preferred option under Warburton.

I merely offered an observation on previous occasions where piss takes went horribly wrong. Anyone who doesn't recognise these occurences needs a check up from the neck up.

Lastly, I'm well aware of the amount of keech I talk at times, but I hope that my stay will not be short.

FFS, How many youngsters will now be trying that trick with their mates out the back gardens etc..........

Loved it (tu)

One of my wee grandsons has been trying to perfect this move for the last six months so I can tell you it's not an easy one to do. :D

I get what you are trying to say,mate! but there's a big difference between what Nathan Oduwa tried to do and what Slim Jim did to Skocik in Vienna. Sure Oduwa was "showboating" to a certain extent but his aim was to get past the player and either score or set up a goal, not rip the piss out of him, whereas Baxter at every opportunity deliberately set out to make Walter Skocik look like a fucking mongo in front of his home supporters. If you remember correctly, we were coasting that game and all the game Baxter was mouthing off at Skocik and nutmegging him at every turn until it got too much for Skocik (who was the big Austrian National team Centre half) and with about 1 minute to go he had enough and snapped Slim Jim in two.

It wasn't just the nutmegging that had infuriated Skocik; it was the verbals that went on during that match and if you know where Skocik was born and the history of WW II, you might get an idea what I'm referring to.

The only thing that pissed me off with what Oduwa did was that I spat out a mouthful of fucking good Polish beer all over my monitor when he did it.

The Rangers fans pay his wages and want entertaining, and by fuck that kid did it well for the 30 mins he was on the park. :clap:

If he played for any other Club then the Scottish Fitba community would have been waxing lyrical about him being a breath of fresh air in our game. Fair play to Danny Lennon who defended him ahainst the accusations of his players.

As for piss takes, no where near as 'insulting' as Kanchelskis standing on the ball against Ayr. That was a piss take.

What about all the piss-takes we have had to endure after our financial trouble,these bastards are,ironically,like a pack of zombies who have revelled in our troubles and kicked us to fuck while we were down.

We as a support have been kicked from pillar to post by the media,our 'custodians',opposition fans and our half arsed players done little to fight back.

So here we have a young confident player, who plays the game with a smile on his face,and he makes us happy by trying ridiculous skill. Ok so it didnt quite come off (although we should have got a penalty) but the fact we are talking about it now shows that it was worthwhile.

We are fighting back now and we are going from strength to strength and people in this cess-pit of a country don't like it,i say fuck them and keep the skills coming young man.