Johnny Hubbard

CMW316

Had the pleasure of this guys company at ibrox today as well as meeting Waggy, Wes, Bomber and Hateley. Can any of the older Bears shed any light on the type of player Hubbard was? Little before my time so felt bad not knowing the guy as well as I would like too but he was class to chat too, dropping one liners into every sentence.

Had the pleasure of this guys company at ibrox today as well as meeting Waggy, Wes, Bomber and Hateley. Can any of the older Bears shed any light on the type of player Hubbard was? Little before my time so felt bad not knowing the guy as well as I would like too but he was class to chat too, dropping one liners into every sentence.

Bit before me also but I do know Sir Alex Ferguson said he scored the greatest goal he ever saw, when you consider the amount of goals he has been witness too then I think thats high praise indeed. As someone else had said a phenomenal penalty record

Bit before me also but I do know Sir Alex Ferguson said he scored the greatest goal he ever saw, when you consider the amount of goals he has been witness too then I think thats high praise indeed. As someone else had said a phenomenal penalty record

He mentioned that goal to me, must be a memorable one for him too. Also mentioned a hat trick against Celtic I'm sure but might have heard wrong. Seems I was far more privileged than I realised has an mbe too

He mentioned that goal to me, must be a memorable one for him too. Also mentioned a hat trick against Celtic I'm sure but might have heard wrong. Seems I was far more privileged than I realised has an mbe too

Home now and with the benefit of Google sure enough he is the last guy to score a hat trick for us against Celtic back in 1955. Would hate to take that away from the guy but sure hope someone matches or breaks that record soon ?

Used to see him in the Govan Rear all the time. Had a ST there. Where does he sit now? Does he still manage along regularly?

Today he was sat in the Thornton seating area but no idea if this is his usual seat... I can't afford that package every second week unfortunately lol. He did say something about his wife and daughter normally coming along with him so suggests he still makes it along regularly. Right laugh tho, told me his son was up "up there" and pointed to the sky. I offered my sincere condolences before he followed it up with "he is a pilot" reeled me right in

Last guy to score a hat-trick for us against Celtic wasn't Johnny Hubbard, but it may have been McCoist in the League Cup Final (2 pens) in the 80's.

Ah, He is the last person to score a hat trick against them in the league. Sorry didn't pick that part up.

Known in his day as the penalty king. A great wee winger in the traditional style. Davy wilson was a similar player if you ever saw him.

He clocked my surname was Wilson from the table and mentioned Davie Wilson too who he said Replaced him in the team when he moved on. Still a wee bit early for me I'm afraid

You heard correctly ,he DID score a hat = trick against the filth , he hit 154 penalties missed 2 ,or he says the goalie saved them ,when speaking about MR STRUTH ,he always says MR STRUTH ,I see and speak to him every other day ,a proper GENTLEMAN ,fantastic player in his day ,he did an enormous amount of work for the young folks in and around AYR and PRESTWICK ,he does work round about IBROX on match days , pity you didn't get to ask him when he first came over from SOUTH AFRICA , sheer entertainment my friend ,he is a delight to listen to especially the old times ,he still has his accent and he is in his 80s [i think ],if ever you get another opportunity ask him ,you'll miss the game . :cool:

You heard correctly ,he DID score a hat = trick against the filth , he hit 154 penalties missed 2 ,or he says the goalie saved them ,when speaking about MR STRUTH ,he always says MR STRUTH ,I see and speak to him every other day ,a proper GENTLEMAN ,fantastic player in his day ,he did an enormous amount of work for the young folks in and around AYR and PRESTWICK ,he does work round about IBROX on match days , pity you didn't get to ask him when he first came over from SOUTH AFRICA , sheer entertainment my friend ,he is a delight to listen to especially the old times ,he still has his accent and he is in his 80s [i think ],if ever you get another opportunity ask him ,you'll miss the game . :cool:

last gers hattrick against them i beleive

My old man always said he had never seen a better penalty taker in his life, and that is very high praise.

What was his penalty record? Did he miss 1 in his full Rangers career or something crazy like that?

But you were with a true Rangers legend my friend and I for one would have been very previliged to be in his company.

You had a day yesterday you will treasure the rest of your life, Oh and we won l

Thanks for the info guys, honoured to have had the chance to chat with him (even though my lunch was cold by the time he was done telling his stories ?). I will be sure to do my homework next time I do hospitality package, not sure if you can find out in advance which ex players will be in attendance.