As The Transfer Window Nears Closing....

markem

1st of all I will say that everything about the squad we have is way beyond what I could have ever imagined we would have a few months ago. What Warburton and his team have achieved in such a short space of time whilst spending what they have is genuinely remarkable. They are not getting enough credit out with our support however that is little surprise and what matters is we know and recognise what has been achieved.

Thinking about the squad is there anything you would like to see us add if it was possible? Two things to consider for me:

(1) Cover for the full back positions. Wallace and Tav are absolutely key too the way we play just now and I am not sure we have sufficient cover (that is more of a question than a statement - do we?)

(2) An out and out poacher. I think we will see us boss many games in particular in the last twenty minutes this year so it would be useful to have a penalty box finisher to tuck away the high volume of chances we create, if even coming off the bench for the last twenty/thirty once the others have ran them ragged for 60/70 minutes. Waghorn is a superb addition and he may be that guy? Nicky Clark? Not convinced. Perhaps I am looking at it all wrong, it's not like we are lacking goals.

Overall, I believe we have more than enough to deliver on objective number 1 this year without any real trouble and it's superb to know we are going to be entertained and have a fully committed squad.

Onwards!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We needed a big turn around in players this window and that's what we got. I hope we go for quality over quantity next summer. Warburton can pick a player and spends wisely so I hope Dave King gives him a proper warchest next summer.

Agree with number 1, not with number 2.

We're trying to play with 11 players who are part of the attack and the defence. Playing with 10 players and a poacher will make us less effective. The finishing will come.

I agree. Spread the goals throughout the team. That way, when your goalscorer gets injured, you still score goals. Dont rely on one player!

If we wanted to really be greedy then I would love us to go and sign may.

Speaking to a few fan around me we are in agreement that we have enough to win this league with our eyes shut but should we get in players we need for next season now or wait till January.

Agree with number 1, not with number 2.

We're trying to play with 11 players who are part of the attack and the defence. Playing with 10 players and a poacher will make us less effective. The finishing will come.

I have been saying this for a while, without a striker like Waghorn we wouldn't score as much else where on the pitch, his link up play is what makes a lot of our attacks.

I think we are covered pretty well in most places but would like to see one more forward. The manager says he looks for players who can play more than one postition so an out and out striker sounds unlikely. I would also expect a couple more to go from the present squad

Have to agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

It's a long season and we have to rest Wallace and Tav where possible, Airdrie on Wed as an example.

And I don't feel we have enough strength in depth up front. Waghorn is a class act and combines well with Miller. Clark just hasn't got it imo, and Hardie isn't physically mature enough.

Hear hear

But on the same breath I was expecting a share issue with 10mil being spent on an "over funded" squad that would be able to compete at spl level.

But that being said in happy with what we have as long as additions are made in jan and next summer

Share issue will be November/December for existing shareholders only.

The way this team is performing, not worried if we do not sign anymore players. This gives the board a lot of breathing space to arrange the investment needed for next season and the way MW spots players, there will be little need for it to be massive. We have a great opportunity to take the SPL by storm next season and agian it will be about us.

Just can't believe how fortunate we are to have this management team, so I do hope the board go out their way to show their appreciation and secure all the funding that MW needs to mount a serious challenge.

A full back would be wise, purely incase tav or wallace get crocked. However warbuton did say the other day he wants versatile players, so he may be against signing someone who can only play that position as a back up.

It's more likely we'll get one of the midfielders like aird or Halliday to adapt to the position if needed. Perhaps another loanee for cover out wide would be good.

I can't see warbuton shoehorning someone like Wilson out wide, the role he wants the fullbacks to play means he's far more likely to pull a pacey winger further back the pitch, than pull a central defender out wide