'we Want To Score Eight/nine Goals A Game' - Kiernan

jafrfc

THE thrill of triumph and the satisfaction of success are tinged with disappointment at Rangers these days.

It is a mark of the mentality of the squad that has been assembled and an insight into the standards set at Ibrox that even in the aftermath of victory there is a forensic examination of what went wrong and what can be improved on.

On the face of it, six wins from six games, a run that has yielded 20 goals with the loss of just four, appears to be a more than pleasing start for Mark Warburton and his players.

But there is no glass ceiling to Rangers’ ambitions as the bar is continually set as high as possible and improvement is sought in every area.

The 1-0 win against Hibernian on Sunday, the second success of the season over Alan Stubbs’ side, saw Rangers continue their winning run, but not in the manner that the Ibrox crowd have become accustomed to.

It was a day for digging deep and grinding out a result rather than showcasing the style that they have become renowned for so far.

And defender Rob Kiernan knows they can, and will, do much better in the months to come.

“Personally I thought the dressing room was a bit disappointed,” he said. “We felt we didn’t quite show what we could do out there.

“It was a full stadium live on TV and we wanted a good performance.

“But we’ve still beaten our rivals twice. It was a tough game, they did well and stopped us playing.

“That’s credit to them, there’s no disrespect there. We’ve beaten them twice and hopefully we can do it again.

“That’s the standards now. The standards now are we want to score eight goals a game, nine goals a game.

“We want to beat everyone. We want to take this league by storm so when we don’t do that, when we don’t quite pass the ball how we like or create as many chances as we’d like we get disappointed.

“There have been games where we’ve had 20 or 25 chances. One day it will click and we probably are going to score that amount of goals.“If you look at the chances we create, to score that many goals in a game isn’t unrealistic.

“I’m not saying we go out thinking we’re going to score nine goals a game but if we take our chances and keep things tight at the back we will score a lot of goals.”

There may only have been one strike to cheer for the capacity Ibrox crowd on Sunday but it was another moment to remember as James Tavernier’s stunning free-kick clinched three crucial Championship points.

The Light Blue legions have been wowed by the Warburton way in the opening weeks of the campaign and roared on Kiernan and his team-mates in huge numbers so far.

For those who have endured recent seasons, the difference is significant, but the former Wigan defender has been taken aback by his first impressions.

Kiernan said: “I don’t know what it was like before so I can only comment on things since I’ve been here.

“It’s been great. The fans are quality and I think attendance against Hibs was second after Manchester United.

“That’s amazing. Hopefully they’re happy and they’re seeing things a little bit different to what’s been.

“Running out there in front of them is quality. It’s amazing looking out of the tunnel.

“I don’t think you can really describe it. It’s hard to put into words. But you see it full, with the flags and the music. It’s quality.

“My dad came up to one of the games but I’d like friends and family to come up and experience it.

“I’ve bumped into fans and what they’ve said has all been positive.

“We want to send them home happy, we want to win games and want this club to be back where it belongs. Hopefully we’re on the right track.”

While Kiernan has made a steady start alongside Danny Wilson at the heart of the Rangers rearguard, his fellow new recruit Tavernier has stolen the show thus far.

The right-back has netted four goals already this term and has been tipped for a Premier League future by boss Warburton after catching the eye at Ibrox.

Kiernan said: “He’s a great player and I’m sure he’ll score a lot more. He’s only going to get better like we all are.

“We’re not the finished article yet but he’s a great player to have in our squad.

“I knew him from being at Wigan and he was a bit unfortunate to not get a good run in the team. But he’s come here and shown what he’s capable of.”

Rangers have another chance to showcase their talents when they face Airdrie this evening aiming to make it seven wins from seven games this term.

He said: “I don’t know much about Airdrie but I know it’s on Astro again which is different because we go from 50,000 on a carpet of a pitch and then to Astro. But it’s the same for everyone so we’ll crack on.”

Warburton’s side have already seen off Hibernian, Peterhead and Ayr United in knock-out action in recent weeks and now have their sights set on a League Cup third round berth.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13626343.Rangers_defender_Kiernan___The_standards_now_are_we_want_to_score_eight_goals_a_game__nine_goals_a_game_/

There have been games where we’ve had 20 or 25 chances. One day it will click and we probably are going to score that amount of goals.If you look at the chances we create, to score that many goals in a game isn’t unrealistic.

:praise: This team.

I just want to win every game. Sometimes I don't care how we do it (like Sunday) but more games like Alloa away will be fantastic to watch all season

I'm looking forward to livi at Ibrox next month.

They're pish, it's a weekend daytime home game, and it's on grass.

Everything ideal for running up a cricket score in that one.

Well said RK, and I think he has a point there, one of these teams is in for a right doing when the team eventually gets into top gear, maybe not double figures, but a doing all the same.

As above, I will settle for good "disrespectful" football, and as long as we are winning ....... not too much to ask I think. :P

:uk:

Hearts scored 10 last season, so it is possible. Still think we need Waghorn to practice his finishing to get him more clinical and he'd score a load.

I'd prefer to do it against 11 men with as few penalties as possible though!