Players With Promise Ruined By Injury

Gaz52

The obvious one for me is Daniel Sturridge. He wasn't even fit for the whole season when him and Suarez tore the league apart yet he still managed 25 goals

He's still only 25 years old so there is time for him to get 2-3 world class seasons under his belt but injury just seems to hinder him which is a shame as he's a fantastic finisher, quite tricky with a fair bit of pace as well.

We've had some of our own, Jamie Ness the stand-out for me.

Who else is there who's career was ruined by injuries or is being ruined by injuries?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Owen Hargreaves is the obvious one. He seemed to get better and better after every passing one of the 777 days he went without a start though.

Dean Ashton is another. Retired at 26 in 2009 after just getting his first England cap the year before.

I'd say Owen Hargreaves is the obvious one. He seemed to get better and better after every passing one of the 777 days he went without a start though.

Dean Ashton is another. Retired at 26 in 2009 after just getting his first England cap the year before.

Dean Ashton is a good shout, felt quite gutted for him at the time when he was retiring so young

Mols...although not ruined he'd have gone on to be on of the best strikers in Europe had Kahn not fucked him.

He was a shadow of the player he was before that.

Also Essien, he was brutal after his 2 knee injuries and was 25 at the time and was one of the best midfielders around.

The proper Ronaldo (whilst scoring hundreds) never quite reached the heights of his early years at Barcelona due to knee injuries.

I'd also say that Kevin Thomson never quite fulfilled his potential due to injury. He could've done so much more in my opinion.

The proper Ronaldo (whilst scoring hundreds) never quite reached the heights of his early years at Barcelona due to knee injuries.

I'd also say that Kevin Thomson never quite fulfilled his potential due to injury. He could've done so much more in my opinion.

KT is a cracking shout. When he played and on top of his game, next to Mendes & Davis, he was fantastic

Mols...although not ruined he'd have gone on to be on of the best strikers in Europe had Kahn not fucked him.

I loved Mols and he was an outstanding player but whenever people say that I can't help thinking, the guy was a few weeks away from his 29th birthday. Like Larsson, he was possibly both a bit under-appreciated as a younger player and possibly didn't really flourish until he joined a league where he was far better than most of the other players, but I don't know if he was really about to get any better than he already was.

Daniel Prodan. Bit of a fiasco for us, but he was only 25 when he was injured and he already had 54 caps for a good Romania team at the time.

Kieron Dyer looked a player when he first came on the scene. Was absolutely blighted by injuries which ultimately ruined his career.

iirc a number of physion's claimed dyer's was all in his head, either simply because he did have injuries or because he was making them up as he was a lazy bastard

I see the angles you are thinking from but do remember the following.

• Mols was ripping the cunt out of European sides, several of them within the elite grouping.
  • Scottish football as a whole spent much more money back then and the money was worth more than it is today.
The injury decimated him and while he was not a darling 21 year old, there was every indication he was like Larsson in the sense that he was getting better with age.

(tu)

Mols was a standout in the CL when he joined. He tore Bayern's backline to pieces almost singlehandedly.

No every striker follows the trend in regards to age and when they hit their peak levels, Drogba didn't start to hit the heights until he was in his mid 20's when he moved to Chelsea.

Mols was a special player

".....But Rangers settled spectac ularly well, their attack marshalled by Michael Mols. After 19 minutes his exceptional skills with his left foot allowed him to slip three defenders on the right only for his cut back to be wastefully swished over the bar by Giovanni van Bronkhorst. Five minutes later van Bronkhorst returned the compliment with a cross that ended with the Dutchman's header striking the post with the goalkeeper Oliver Kahn comprehensively beaten."