Some Reminders Of Bobby Russell

Ozblue

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jock Wallace always had this unfair reputation for winning things through fitness and aggression yet his 1978 treble winning team had such as Russell, Jardine, Johnstone, Smith and McLean in it. All sublime footballers!!!

PSV Eindhoven went 28 games undefeated at home in Europe spanning 23 years before we beat them. That PSV side were no mugs as they had the two Van De Kerkhof brothers, Ernie Brandts, Jan Poortvliet and a certain Wim Jansen who many years later became manager of the tarriers.

It certainly was a classic game and our guys played their hearts out.

Basically they had never lost at home in european competition until they came up against the mighty Rangers. I was just a kid at the time and recall being written off after the 0-0 at Ibrox.

I loved watching Bobby Russell play fitba.

He had that economy of movement coupled with elegance of my very favourite players.

Cruyff, Netzer, Zidane, Redondo, Riquelme, Pirlo - that type of player. I'm not saying Russell was in that elite class, but he was a fine, fine example of their kind.

Jock Wallace always had this unfair reputation for winning things through fitness and aggression yet his 1978 treble winning team had such as Russell, Jardine, Johnstone, Smith and McLean in it. All sublime footballers!!!

If ever the question arises as to your favourite year football wise, for me it was always 1978. What a team. And if Ally had played Johnstone in Argentina we would have won the world cup.

Basically they had never lost at home in european competition until they came up against the mighty Rangers. I was just a kid at the time and recall being written off after the 0-0 at Ibrox.

When I made the thread about Bobby Russell it naturally centred on the PSV Eindhoven match and I remembered reading in one of my football books about PSV having never been defeated in 28 European games at home which stretched over a 23 year period.

Since I made that post,I decided to delve a bit more into their record and have discovered it wasn't 28 games at all; in fact from 1955 until we beat them in 1978 they had gone

30 games undefeated at home.

Their very first game in Europe was against Rapid Vienna away in the European Cup where they lost 6-1 then triumphed 1-0 at home.

Their full home record (excluding the result against us) was; Played 30...Won 24....Drawn 6...Lost 0.... Goals For 84...Goals Against 7

Now that's some record by any any standards and when you consider that teams such as Real Madrid (twice) Benfica and Barcelona either lost or drew against them then it makes our victory more noteworthy. :thumbup:

PS: While checking these stats of PSV there is something about them that's bothering me so if/when I find what it is,I'll let you know :pipe:

In another thread about Gedion Zelalem a poster said the youngster on loan from Arsenal reminded him of Bobby Russell. If he can play as half as good for Rangers as Bobby Russell did then I will be happy.

I went to the Apollo that night to see AC/DC and after the concert ended up in the Lunar Seven,which is no longer there,for a pint and watched the highlights without knowing the score.

When Bobby Russell scored the winner i let out a roar and half the bheasts in the place got a wee bit testy :P .

Me,i could'nt give a fuck as i was a happy Bear that night.

I went to the Apollo that night to see AC/DC and after the concert ended up in the Lunar Seven,which is no longer there,for a pint and watched the highlights without knowing the score.

When Bobby Russell scored the winner i let out a roar and half the bheasts in the place got a wee bit testy :P .

Me,i could'nt give a fuck as i was a happy Bear that night.

Fuck! what a night that would have been,mate! :thumbup: watching an Ackadacka concert and then celebrating us gub PSV away from home after being down 2-1 in a room full of tarriers :praise:

Carlsberg couldn't even do one like that :pipe:

Fuck! what a night that would have been,mate! :thumbup: watching an Ackadacka concert and then celebrating us gub PSV away from home after being down 2-1 in a room full of tarriers :praise:

Carlsberg couldn't even do one like that :pipe:[/quote

Lucky bastard! The only way to top that would be actually celebrating the win with Bon, Angus & Malcolm

When I made the thread about Bobby Russell it naturally centred on the PSV Eindhoven match and I remembered reading in one of my football books about PSV having never been defeated in 28 European games at home which stretched over a 23 year period.

Since I made that post,I decided to delve a bit more into their record and have discovered it wasn't 28 games at all; in fact from 1955 until we beat them in 1978 they had gone

30 games undefeated at home.

Their very first game in Europe was against Rapid Vienna away in the European Cup where they lost 6-1 then triumphed 1-0 at home.

Their full home record (excluding the result against us) was; Played 30...Won 24....Drawn 6...Lost 0.... Goals For 84...Goals Against 7

Now that's some record by any any standards and when you consider that teams such as Real Madrid (twice) Benfica and Barcelona either lost or drew against them then it makes our victory more noteworthy. :thumbup:

PS: While checking these stats of PSV there is something about them that's bothering me so if/when I find what it is,I'll let you know :pipe:

Cheers.

You have way too much free time on your hands!

Cheers.

You have way too much free time on your hands!

When you have been retired for 18 years, the house is painted, the bathroom and kitchen newly renovated, the yard is looking brilliant and the flowers are starting to bloom and I'm not going overseas again until April; there's got to be something to keep my interest :pipe:

• 2 weeks later...

There was a very good interview with Bobby Russell in the Matchday programme yesterday.

Couple of points , he talked about when he signed for Rangers under Jock Wallace , and after signing the contract , he and his dad turned to go , to which he heard JW ask if he wanted to know how much he was getting paid.

Also mentioned that in his first season , he wasn't well for the League Cup final , so missed out on a medal ( remembering we won the treble that year ) however , in the team celebrations afterward , Sandy Jardine came up to him and gave him his . A magnificent gesture from a legend.

Before my time as a supporter. An exceptional talent on the park for us, no question, but I've heard stories about him marrying a tarrier and afterwards showing upto Rangers functions and complaining/threatening to leave because of flute bands in attendance. Fuck him.