Formation Needs Changed

raging blue 1972

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested earlier in the season that we may be better in a standard 3-5-2 set up.

Anyone who knows football knows you can set up that way and with disciplined players it can quickly be 3-2-4-1 for example going forward or quickly into 5-4-1 I'd defence.

It's more to do with players carrying out jobs than one set formation.

We play the same formation every week which is a good thing for a team that has only been brought together recently. Means the players can work on a basic template and get to know each other.

We need to use different formations in the medium term though. Otherwise better quality managers will set their teams up to really hurt us.

Using the same formation no matter the opposition is tantamount to wearing the same jacket no matter the weather. Sooner or later you will be hit with a shit storm you are not prepared for.

No need for knee jerk reactions IMO. The formation is fine. We've been crying out for an offensive, exciting brand of football for a long time and finally we have it. To change it due to one game would be naive at best.

Football is a funny old game but ultimately poor defensive mistakes and individual errors cost us dearly. And when you go chasing you become more exposed. Also goals change games and if we take the lead things could have been so much different.

Of course we need another side to our armoury but the players will get better and we will improve positionally and defensively. We will also sign better players going forward to fit into our system.

(tu)

Obviously is not going to work against better teams. Leaving two at the back and so high up the park is just asking for trouble ala last night's third and St Mirren's first goal, not to mention getting caught far too often and being totally exposed..

I'd personally play something akin to a 3 2 3 1 1 -

Wilson, Ball (sitting deeper in the middle) and Kiernan as a back 3

Wallace and Tav higher up and when one goes the other drops back to make 4

Holt Shiels Law with Shiels as sitling midfielder

Waghorn in hole and maybe McKay up top (different I know but boy has pace to burn and can score)

would certainly give us a bit of security, even if only playing this way against better teams than the championship

The way we we play is just asking for trouble at times - thoughts

(and no telling me to fuck off ya mad bams lol -

cue first reply lol)

Have you not got a garden to attend to Kenny??? ;)

What? So we got taught a lesson last night.
Davidson man-marked Zalalem into almost ineffectiveness in the final third. Oduwa was doubled and tripled most of the night. Waghorn missed a lot of Miller's runs most of the time.
To play this strategy that Warburton wants requires high energy from the midfield not only going forward but also retreating into defence.
Two men can't cover for four if they are not speedy. Either a man a bit further ahead of them to cut off the passing lanes or a straight 3-man defence.
Plus, we had the inconsistency that youth is prone to.
Lots to improve on but that's why we have a whole season, and not one game, to judge the team on.

IMO we are 3 players shy of a really decent team.

We need a Bougherra type centre half with recovery pace to play alongside either Wilson or Kiernan.

We need a proper holding midfield enforcer, in the mould of a Matic or even Wanyama ( sorry for the example ).

And to finish we need a striker with pace, skill and predatory instincts. Probably similar to Jelavic with a bit more pace.

Add those types alongside a bit of quality squad cover and we'd be in great shape.

I'm not bothered by the defeat because we'll learn so much more from it.

I'm pretty sure that 4-3-3 means a back four so there's nothing intrinsically weak about the formation so why change it. If you push your FBs forward then you need a DM who will cover plus at least one reasonably quick CB, neither of which we had last night.

We need to get some perspective here - two of the goals last night were due to idiotic defensive lapses NOT how the team lined up.

I'm pretty sure that 4-3-3 means a back four so there's nothing intrinsically weak about the formation so why change it. If you push your FBs forward then you need a DM who will cover plus at least one reasonably quick CB, neither of which we had last night.

We need to get some perspective here - two of the goals last night were due to idiotic defensive lapses NOT how the team lined up.

A lack of players who could play the positions, in other words?