Those Days Of Colin Stein And Happy Days

dalton

My boyhood hero. Remember being absolutely gutted when he got sent off for retaliation in the final minutes against Clyde (after scoring a hat trick) after being kicked up and down the park all day. The SFA suspended him for the rest of the season which effectively kyboshed our chance of winning the League and Scottish Cup, and probably the Fairs Cup. And yet we are constantly told that by the likes of McNeil, etc that we got favoured by all the decisions during his era. Right.

Aye that's what I got last night.

ye might have telt us :D

Back to Colin Stein - was at his first to games. Cant remember why I missed the Dundalk game. Remember one day during school holidays cycling to Ibrox, with a cast on my arm, to get players autographs when they were coming/going from training. Stein was really nice asking what happened etc. Great player who never knew how to give less than 100% and a goalscorer of his ilk would score for fun in Warb's team.

We don't need mcneil or hay

f** yer pope and yer ira

we've got John greig COLIN STEIN

anf HMtQ

Just to let everyone know...those who think Mols or Prso or Novo etc. were great Rangers forwards...and I'm not picking those guys out as exceptional....they weren't really that great.

They weren't that great because they were to be compared to one guy. Colin Stein.

If you didn't see him, trust me, you would have wet your pants watching him.

My boyhood hero. Remember being absolutely gutted when he got sent off for retaliation in the final minutes against Clyde (after scoring a hat trick) after being kicked up and down the park all day. The SFA suspended him for the rest of the season which effectively kyboshed our chance of winning the League and Scottish Cup, and probably the Fairs Cup. And yet we are constantly told that by the likes of McNeil, etc that we got favoured by all the decisions during his era. Right.

I was at that game, my old man and I watched from the old Celtic End terracing as a tarrier scumbag called Eddie Mulheron tried to boot Colin about three times as he made a diagonal run towards the corner of the old enclosure and the Rangers End terracing. Eventually Stein retaliated then collapsed distraught on his knees as the ref whose name escapes me sent him off, he must have known he was going to get a ridiculously long ban.

In big Colin's third game as well as scoring two he also hit the post so it could have been three hat-tricks in three games.

Also don't forget he scored at Easter Road on March 29th 1975 to end the dark sides bid for 10 in a row.

Possibly his greatest goal after the ECWC.

Great player and he knew what it meant to play for The Rangers.

:uk:

Was my hero as a boy,had the posters of him and most of the team from the papers they sold at the games on my wall.Never seen him first time at Ibrox as my Dad started taking me in 1973 but was at Ibrox when he made his return against St Johnstone.

In big Colin's third game as well as scoring two he also hit the post so it could have been three hat-tricks in three games.

Also don't forget he scored at Easter Road on March 29th 1975 to end the dark sides bid for 10 in a row.

That goal at Easter is etched in my memory for the rest of my life. what a feeling it was that day after suffering for nine years, or ten if you count Killie's title in 1965.

To put it in perspective, I was eighteen at Easter Road and the last time Rangers had been champions I was seven.

I was at the Hibs game. Great memories :)

Begged my old man to go to that game but wouldn't take me because I was too young and likely size of crowd. Can still recall two of Colin's goals from watching the tv highlights afterwards. Would love to see again but footage seems to have been lost through time.