Mark Warburton On Scouting Team

MasterD

MARK WARBURTON hopes the appointment of a new scouting team will be another step in the right direction for Rangers.

The Ibrox boss has been working without a group of talent spotters since his move north of the border in the summer but still overhauled his squad ahead of the new campaign.

The issue of lack of a proper network of scouts was first raised by Ally McCoist a couple of years ago but Warburton is now seeking to address the major problem.

Warburton said: “Yes, hopefully we’re making some real inroads and I’m very confident in the very near future we’ll have something to say on that.

“Again, as with players, it’s about getting the right people. You have to get the right people at the right time and they’ve got to add value to the club.

“There’s no point saying I’ve got five scouts for you, they’ve got to be people who know exactly what we are looking for, what the players profile is that David (Weir) and I are demanding here and understanding what we really are seeking.

“So those people are not all over the place, we have to make sure we get the right people and we’re very close to getting them.”

It was a frantic but fruitful summer for Warburton and Weir as they transformed the squad they inherited at the end of a nightmare campaign for Rangers.

And the Gers boss is confident he will have the right scouts in place to help him with the second phase of his Ibrox rebuilding job.

He said: “You have to trust these people implicitly. Otherwise, all that happens is you get a report on your desk saying that there’s a good player down in Devon.

“Then you travel all the way down there to watch him and think: ‘He’s nowhere near it.’ You’ve got to trust those people to watch players three or four times and to find out what his character is like, how he is off the pitch.

“Does he look after himself? What’s his body fat like? Does he have family? Are there any previous problems you’re aware of?

“It’s just making sure that a character can come into our environment and add value.

“Because if you have a bad apple in your dressing room then you have a real problem.

“There are some really good people out there, although there are average people in any industry. It’s all about how we get the best ones to come to us.”

Warburton added eleven players to his Murray Park pool during the close season and has been rewarded with a superb start to the campaign.

Rangers are nine points clear at the top of the Championship as the likes of James Tavernier and Martyn Waghorn have hit the ground running at Ibrox.

And, when asked if he had been surprised by his successful strike rate of signings so far, Warburton said: “No and I don’t mean that in an arrogant way at all, but you have to do your homework.

“We knew a lot of those players, the likes of Wes (Foderingham) we’d played against Swindon many times, Tavernier with Rotherham and Bristol City, Waggy I knew very well from Leicester City and Rob Kiernan we signed at Watford when he was a young boy.

“So a lot of these players we knew about. The big worry for me was could we get them before others did.

“Rob was very close to signing for a Championship team, likewise Waggy and Tavernier and they turned down offers in the Championship down south to come here.

“So that was the biggest concern I had, could we move in time to get them on board.

“Once we had them on board I’m not surprised, they’ve got quality, a real hunger and values on and off the pitch and they add to the overall squad and I’m delighted with that.”

How does a scouting system work.

Scouts take in games, recommend a player and that manager then watched video's or goes to watch the player?

Under McCoist and perhaps some previous managers, although we had no scouting network in place, would it be safe to say players were bought without the manager even seeing them play?

Scouts take in games, recommend a player and that manager then watched video's or goes to watch the player?

Under McCoist and perhaps some previous managers, although we had no scouting network in place, would it be safe to say players were bought without the manager even seeing them play?

Judging by the way some of them played football, I would say so.

Our scouting system was a big 2009 spl panini sticker book

Think it was wee Stevie the IT guy who scouted the player on FM.

Think it was wee Stevie the IT guy who scouted the player on FM.

I read an article thr other day that said a lot of clubs do actually use fm as part of their scouting and the new one will be more in depth regarding the scouting

http://www.pcgamesn.com/football-manager-2015/premier-league-clubs-now-using-football-manager-database-determine-new-signings

I read an article thr other day that said a lot of clubs do actually use fm as part of their scouting and the new one will be more in depth regarding the scouting

http://www.pcgamesn.com/football-manager-2015/premier-league-clubs-now-using-football-manager-database-determine-new-signings

I am in no way suggesting we should do this BTW just saying it aint as mad as you might think

I read an article thr other day that said a lot of clubs do actually use fm as part of their scouting and the new one will be more in depth regarding the scoutinghttp://www.pcgamesn.com/football-manager-2015/premier-league-clubs-now-using-football-manager-database-determine-new-signings

Jeez that's scary.