Frank Mcparland - Chief Scout.

WATBB

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouts go and give opinion on players when they hand in their reports

They aren't the ones who decide whether to buy them.

The manager and director of football these days are the guys deciding.

He could hand in 100 reports on players and maybe 10% of them would be a success

Unless he does both roles?

I couldn't possibly imagine he'd work as Sporting Director at Burnley while combining the role with Chief Scout/Head of Recruitment at Rangers. I know there's many scouts work freelance but I think his current role at Burnley and the one he's apparently taking here are too hands on to be part time/freelance.

As with any new player or manager they can only be, and should only be, judged on what they deliver after a reasonable period.

What he has done before does not predict whether he will be a success or not with us.

Can only give the guy time and wish him good luck.

There is no negatives to now getting a scouting network in place. If he doesn't work out he gets replaced.

Another area where that impostor short changed the club and the fans. He could have set up a scouting network but was happy to use his pals and blame the club's situation for his inactivity in this area. If he cared as much as we do about the club's future he would have made it happen.

Spot on I reckon.

However, we have every right to be positive about the steps taken to, finally, rebuild our club.

Exactly how much input do you reckon scouts have at clubs like Liverpool... or even most premier league clubs? They will buy the finished product most of the time, which leaves very little for the scouts, really. Its FM style recruiting.

Exactly how much input do you reckon scouts have at clubs like Liverpool... or even most premier league clubs? They will buy the finished product most of the time, which leaves very little for the scouts, really. Its FM style recruiting.

At Liverpool in particular its a lot. The manager doesn't have responsibility for transfers and it was left to a transfer committee (this may have changed under Klopp). I'm sure the Chief Scout was one of the people in this committee.

At Liverpool in particular its a lot. The manager doesn't have responsibility for transfers and it was left to a transfer committee (this may have changed under Klopp). I'm sure the Chief Scout was one of the people in this committee.

My point sstill stands.. they recruit the finished article most of the time.

My point sstill stands.. they recruit the finished article most of the time.

But a decision needs to be made on which players suit what's needed. There's more to scouting players than just going and watching them play a couple times. When Man U signed Chicharito they had a scout live in Mexico for a few months getting all sorts of reports on his background and things like that.

But a decision needs to be made on which players suit what's needed. There's more to scouting players than just going and watching them play a couple times. When Man U signed Chicharito they had a scout live in Mexico for a few months getting all sorts of reports on his background and things like that.

Yes, I know that, but, the point the other poster was making, was that he hadnt found any talent, and used Pongolle (who had a good career) as an example. My point was, that "talent" rarely gets a chance at clubs like that.

Yes, I know that, but, the point the other poster was making, was that he hadnt found any talent, and used Pongolle (who had a good career) as an example. My point was, that "talent" rarely gets a chance at clubs like that.

The point I made was his 4 year spell as Chief Scout at Liverpool was nothing special. I never said he didn't find "any talent". More an observation, than a criticism. I'm not responsible for peoples personal perceptions of what point I am or aren't making.

As for Pongolle, if you rate him that's fine. I don't. It's a game of opinions after all.

The point I made was his 4 year spell as Chief Scout at Liverpool was nothing special. I never said he didn't find "any talent". More an observation, than a criticism. I'm not responsible for peoples personal perceptions of what point I am or aren't making.

As for Pongolle, if you rate him that's fine. I don't. It's a game of opinions after all.

I assume you dont watch Atletico, then. I do.

How do you know he was "nothing special" at Liverpool? As I said.. Marquee signings are what steal headlines, and scouts tend to get noticed when they work for teams with lesser resources.

I assume you dont watch Atletico, then. I do.

How do you know he was "nothing special" at Liverpool? As I said.. Marquee signings are what steal headlines, and scouts tend to get noticed when they work for teams with lesser resources.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. You think he's had a good career. Fair enough. Some could say Nicklas Bendtner has had a good career too. Played for Arsenal, Juventus and Wolfsburg and an internationalist. I don't rate him either.

I looked through LFC signings between 2004-2007. Not just the 'marquee' ones, which I agree aren't really representative of his abilities for the role.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. You think he's had a good career. Fair enough. Some could say Nikolas Bendtner has had a good career too. Played for Arsenal, Juventus and Wolfsburg and an internationalist. I don't rate him either.

I looked through LFC signings between 2004-2007.

My point is.. its very difficult for you and I to judge him as a scout based on his time with Liverpool. How do you, for instance, rate the Man City scouts?

To say that someone like Bendtner is NOT a good player is a bit naive. Of course he is.. otherwise he would not be playing at the top level. You dont play for teams like Sporting or Atletico if you are not a good player. Everything is relative, of course.

My point is.. its very difficult for you and I to judge him as a scout based on his time with Liverpool. How do you, for instance, rate the Man City scouts?

To say that someone like Bendtner is NOT a good player is a bit naive. Of course he is.. otherwise he would not be playing at the top level. You dont play for teams like Sporting or Atletico if you are not a good player. Everything is relative, of course.

My opinion on man city scouts seems irrelevant. Unless we are potentially adding one to our wage list.

Naive is you implying players at that level can't be criticised. They can, and I will if that's my opinion. (tu)