Rangers Take On Burchill. Burchill Apologises.

WATBB

Livi boss Mark Burchill apologises to Nathan Oduwa after Rangers condemn his comments on tackle row

THE former Celtic star defends his player over wild lunge by bringing up Ibrox kid's nationality but he soon backs down after Gers slam his statement.

RANGERS have taken Mark Burchill to task over controversial comments about on-loan Spurs star Nathan Oduwa.

The Livingston boss last night issued an apology to the Ibrox club and Oduwa after launching a defence of midfielder Kieran Gibbons based on his Scottish nationality and his rival’s English identity.

Gibbons has been widely criticised for a tackle on Oduwa after just 12 seconds of the Petrofac Cup quarter-final at Ibrox on Tuesday. Many reckoned it merited a red card from ref Andrew Dallas.

Oduwa was crocked and failed to appear for the second half but Burchill told Radio Clyde last night his player deserved protection from public ire because of where he was born.

Burchill told Superscoreboard: “Kieran is a young, talented Scottish football player signed for a Scottish club.

“Nathan Oduwa is an English footballer who has not signed for a Scottish club, so we’re dragging someone over the coals who is one of our own and could possibly play for Scotland in the future.

“If I’m honest, most of this is coming from the frustration of Rangers fans who expected to turn up and beat Livingston four, five or six nil .”

But his reaction sparked anger among Rangers fans and the Ibrox club have condemned his comments for focusing on the nationality of the players involved as they hinted at an SFA investigation.

A club spokesman said: “Just about everyone who has seen the tackle by Kieran Gibbons on Nathan Oduwa at Ibrox on Tuesday night knows our player was fortunate to get back to his feet.

“However, we have since heard from the Livingston manager who attempted to defend his player’s reckless challenge because he is Scottish and his opponent is English.

“Rangers believe Nathan, indeed every player, regardless of nationality, is entitled to greater respect. It will be interesting to discover if Livingston and the authorities share this belief.”

Burchill last night said sorry for the comments made on the show and insisted they were a result of clumsy phraseology.

He said: “I would like to apologise to Nathan, Rangers and anyone else offended by my use of such clumsy words.

“The point I was trying to make was that Kieran is likely to play his entire career in Scotland. Nathan, on the other hand, is signed for an English club and will probably return to Spurs at the end of the season.

“Of course, nationality has nothing to do with it. I wish Nathan all the best for the rest of the season and hope this draws a line under my unfortunate use of words.”

Burchill had earlier insisted there was no malice in the tackle , made in the 1-0 defeat on Tuesday night.

He said: “It was a bad tackle and on any given day it could have been a red card. This was Kieran’s 12th appearance as a professional and the first time he had played at Ibrox.

“He went to win the ball but Oduwa’s feet were too quick and he caught him.”

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I was trying to make was that Kieran is likely to play his entire career in Scotland. Nathan, on the other hand, is signed for an English club and will probably return to Spurs at the end of the season.

:blink:

He's going to need a bigger shovel..

He just keeps digging.

Can shove his apology in that hole too.

He fucking backtracked quicker than a monkey going doon a hill on a scooter. :wanker: If he can't phrase a sentence properly then he should just shut up and say nothing.

It's far better to say nothing and let people think you're an idiot than open your mouth and prove you're an idiot. :pipe:

So, since Oduwa is not likely to spend his career in Scottush football it's okay for people to kick him up and down the park? Why does Mark keep trying to justify this horror tackle? He's making a right cunt out of this.

Why does Mark keep trying to justify this horror tackle? He's making a right cunt out of this.

Because he is a Tim. What he really wants to say is, that all Rangers players should be allowed to get the shit kicked out of them because they play for Rangers.

Oh FFS.! That statement is like a Ronald Reagan blunder of the highest order.

Take a severe Cockpunching Burchill :animal:

Your ability to shoot yourself in the foot is only exceeded by your propensity to reload. Get those fucking beads out and pray for a hole in the ground to swallow you up :D

The man clearly has no dignity, hes making an utter arse of himself and his Club. What he really means is "Oduwa will be a star one day, he plays for a top 10 English Club, my boy is a no mark never was never will be who plays for a diddy club and is going nowhere, so i understand why the bitter jealous cunt would stick the boot in"