Pathe News Archive

jamescolin

Magic thread ..love watching all the old stuff .

66 cup final is a favourite , wee Willie Johnston looked a player so two footed . And wee Jinkys reaction when Kai Johanson scored the winner from Buds assist ...wee Jinky hit the deck in despair !

Wow, thoroughly enjoyed watching some of that, wouldn't fancy heading one of those leather balls right enough, thanks for sharing James.

So... I'm about ten years old again, playing on a red ash pitch somewhere in Maryhill. Made two sliding tackles and legs shredded on the red ash. A 'mouldmaster' ball, crafted by Satan himself, descends from the bleak Glasgow skyline. You already know a 'mouldmaster' weighs around a ton, bit this one is soaking wet as well..

"Heid it!!" comes the cry from your teammates. Time slows down as the infernal ball seeks you out.

So you header it and...

Think it was at that point any ambitions about studying Physics at University evaporated in an instant.

Can still feel that impact and bet I'm not the only one here.

In a similar vein and perhaps no need to start a new topic..

If you search on google for "helicopter sunday Rangers" and then select "Images" instead of "Web", there are pages of truly fantastic photos, especially of the fans.

Love that one with the banner declaring, "You're Just Not Good Enough".

So... I'm about ten years old again, playing on a red ash pitch somewhere in Maryhill. Made two sliding tackles and legs shredded on the red ash. A 'mouldmaster' ball, crafted by Satan himself, descends from the bleak Glasgow skyline. You already know a 'mouldmaster' weighs around a ton, bit this one is soaking wet as well..

"Heid it!!" comes the cry from your teammates. Time slows down as the infernal ball seeks you out.

So you header it and...

Think it was at that point any ambitions about studying Physics at University evaporated in an instant.

Can still feel that impact and bet I'm not the only one here.

mouldmaster was heavy dimpled plastic IIRC....

The sting of a mouldmaster as it hit your thigh can still bring a tear to your eyes

Looks like we're not alone here! And just found this online:

"I still shudder at the thought of it smacking you on the bare leg in the middle of winter. Ouch".

It's from an article which sums up that entire 'first experience as playing fitba as a kid':

http://sundayclocksarestriking.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/mouldmaster-or-torture.html?m=1

Notably:

"The Ball

There is a variety of types of ball approved for Primary School Football. I shall describe the most popular:

The rough-finish Mitre or Trophy 5. Half football, half Portuguese Man o War. On the verge of a ban in the European Court of Human Rights, this model is not for sale to children. Used exclusively by teachers during gym classes as a kind of aversion therapy. Made from highly durable fibre-glass, stuffed with neutron star and coated with dead jellyfish. Advantages: looks quite grown up, makes for high-scoring matches (keepers wont even attempt to catch it). Disadvantages: scars or maims anything it touches".

The entire article is hilarious and brings back so many memories, most of them painful!

Does anyone know if that 'British Cup' was played for after 1934, or is it somewhere in a long forgotten dusty cupboard at Ibrox!

We played Everton over two legs in about 1963 for a 'British Cup'. We lost that one I believe.

Edit: Yes we lost 4-2 on agg. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/best-british-everton-fc-rangers-3342099

The article also mentions Rangers beating Arsenal in the 1930's. Also the Dubai Cup in the 1980's where we beat Everton on penalties after a 2-2 draw. I remember that; we were 2-0 behind and looking down and out but came back to snatch the cup.

Found the video:

We played Everton over two legs in about 1963 for a 'British Cup'. We lost that one I believe.

Edit: Yes we lost 4-2 on agg. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/best-british-everton-fc-rangers-3342099

The article also mentions Rangers beating Arsenal in the 1930's. Also the Dubai Cup in the 1980's where we beat Everton on penalties after a 2-2 draw. I remember that; we were 2-0 behind and looking down and out but came back to snatch the cup.

Found the video:

Wow! Just cheers, mate.

It's this kind of thing, part of history, which is maybe long forgotten and in highlighting the OP, thought maybe the younger Bears would especially appreciate same.

Aside from which, with all the utter S@#%&E going around just now, wondered if we could all just simply focus back to Rangers fitba!