Pathe News Archive

jamescolin

Haven't seen this highlighted here before and even of it has been, surely worth another mention for those unaware.

It's the Pathe News archive, now online at:

http://www.britishpathe.com/

If you search for "Rangers football" or "Glasgow Rangers", etc, it will come up with variances.

Seems necessary to have 'Flash Player' installed.

If it's your first visit to this site and have an interest in the club's history, you might find it somewhat compelling and find you'll stay a while!

Just so delighted at your feedback - you get it too!

Thought the Pathe site had seriously gone 'under the radar'- I've never known it highlighted before about football.

Yes, 'The Man In the HAT, and 'bluegecko', you will spend some time there as will hopefully others.

If I may please - with the advantage of having had more time to browse the Pathe site before posting - suggest the following appetiser for all:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/scottish-cup-final-technicolor/query/glasgow+rangers+celtic

"Scottish Cup Final 1963 - Technicolor"

Now *that's* a Rangers strip.

'Shot in Technicolor' no less. Next thing you know we'll put a man on the moon.

Love that strip. That's a Rangers strip and just maybe some in that footage who stood tall to wear it.

From the Pathe web site's own narrative:

"CUP-HOLDERS MEET - Glasgow Rangers defeat Manchester City 1-0 at Ibrox Park."

Ibrox Park,Glasgow, Scotland.

Players running out on the field at the start of football match between Glasgow Rangers (Scottish Cup Holders) and Manchester City (Football Association Cup Holders) at Ibrox Park, Glasgow. Captains shake hands at start of the match.

Various shots of the match.

Final score Glasgow Rangers 1, Manchester City 0. Goal was scored by McAuley.

[End]

I never even knew that game happened... Youselves?

1934! Wow, part of a rich history that can never be taken away... and there for all to see, at:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cup-holders-meet/query/glasgow+rangers

Beating Man City in a British Cup final ...

Those days will come around again, despite City and so many other clubs, arguably unfair, financial advantage (sic).

Some might say you simply live with that and address same in a dignified manner... on the pitch, where tropy's are won.

Does anyone know if that 'British Cup' was played for after 1934, or is it somewhere in a long forgotten dusty cupboard at Ibrox!

What do we know about the goalscorer, McAuley?

Reckon the sentiment 'before my tine,' might just apply to the majority here.

British Pathe have posted all their videos on youtube.

Sandy, thanks fot that, didn't know.

Was actually a wee bit terrified about posting the Pathe news link in case it was common knowledge.

Didn't think it was though and so delighted ir seems to have struck meaningful emotions fo some.

That was simply and entirely my hope.

Would be most intersted to see how that Pathe archive has been uploaded to YouTube...in it's entirety?

Can't check as I'm using a mobile and since earlier today every tine I try to play a YouTube video it comes up with the dreaded 'Sorry. Can't play this file on your phone'.

From previous experience of same and a tip from YouTub's online help, clearing the cache memory worked.

This tine it hasn't!

On the case (will figure it out eventually!) and thanks again.

BigMadRorschsach and oldskoolblue further expressed there appreciation for the highlighting of Rangers history.

I won't use 'reply' as it might (not sure) copy again oldskoolblue's video link and that's unnecessary.

Yea.. oldskoolblue, that archive film's a belter, eh!

Just so chuffed yourselves and other respondents recognise and realise this history and are enjoying seeing same relived - maybe like myself, for the first tine ever.

Love that 1963 Scottish Cup Final footage previously noted and wondered if anyone could confirm both teams and substitutes who played.

I see the Pathe News search keywords visible include, "Bobby Shearer, John Greig, Ralph Brand, James (sic) Baxter"...

That's my afternoon booked tomorrow. Great stuff

OK, last posting should have read - (I'm new to this... which is why I was scared of posting in the first place, but just thought that archive was spectacular):

bluegecko, might want to keep the entire weekend free... if infinitely more priority family commitments permit!

I did include in my initial posting (is that called an OP?) a wee heads-up - because I was experiencing how fascinating the Pathe site could suck you in and to be fair, I did use the word "compelling'.

Looks like you have to experiment with searches, e.g. "rangers celtic" doesn't find the following which comes under "rangers won":

Rangers v Celtic - Scottish Cup final (cuts). Hampden Park, Scotland

Soccer (football). Glasgow's Cup Final. Rangers v. Celtic; c. 1920's. Typical shots of football match: 2 team captains & referee at start of game; coin toss; various shots of action from the game; players running out onto field. Rangers won the match 4-0.

(End)

There's another heading on that page which actually dates this rather than 'circa 1920's' to 1928.

4-0.... well I'll be....

'EBT phone home'... or was there some other excuse... in hindsight, but just not at the time.

I just hope you enjoy the glorious archive history and if others find something wonderful from a speculative search, we can be sure they'll share.

It's out there... and EBT's just nodded same.

British Pathe have posted all their videos on youtube.

Sandy, thanks again and just a brief recap now that I've tine to see that uplaod.

The fundamental difference seems to be that it's simpler to search for related items directly on the Pathe web site, plus their own has profoundly helpful background narrative.

Having had a weekend free to actually spend time on the Pathe site, might I please highlight and recommend:

"Scottish Cup Final Cuts 1928"

"Scottish Cup Final 1934"

"Scottish Cup - Final At Hampden 1936"

"Dynamos Draw With Rangers 1945"

"Hearts v Rangers 1957"

"Rangers Beat Sparta 1960"

(Why played at Highbury?)

"Rangers 19th Cup 1966"

(If not all the goals were recorded, sure you'll still get the gist of it).

Paths is one of those sites,indeed probably the definitive site that when you reach my age, where you just know there must surely be some memories either long forgotten or simply maybe justify being 'bumped' here.

If, for example, you search under "Ibrox Park":

"Boys Brigade Display In Glasgow 1938"

And...

"Investiture At Ibrox Park"

"Shots of large crowds packing the stadium. Soldiers line the edge of the pitch.

Shots of King George V on platform presenting awards to nurses and wounded soldiers".

Maybe the last sentence there mirrors the present endeavours of many on this forum - and of course elsewhere - keeping that tradition alive.

jamescolin

In the early days of European fixtures the away goals rule didn't count so any match that was tied over 2 legs went to a 3rd leg at a neutral ground, Highbury was used by Rangers I think on a few occasion as a 3rd leg ground

jamescolin

In the early days of European fixtures the away goals rule didn't count so any match that was tied over 2 legs went to a 3rd leg at a neutral ground, Highbury was used by Rangers I think on a few occasion as a 3rd leg ground

Never knew that! Just thanks and I'm sure not only on behalf of myself.

From the Pathe web site's own narrative:

"CUP-HOLDERS MEET - Glasgow Rangers defeat Manchester City 1-0 at Ibrox Park."

Ibrox Park,Glasgow, Scotland.

Players running out on the field at the start of football match between Glasgow Rangers (Scottish Cup Holders) and Manchester City (Football Association Cup Holders) at Ibrox Park, Glasgow. Captains shake hands at start of the match.

Various shots of the match.

Final score Glasgow Rangers 1, Manchester City 0. Goal was scored by McAuley.

[End]

I never even knew that game happened... Youselves?

1934! Wow, part of a rich history that can never be taken away... and there for all to see, at:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cup-holders-meet/query/glasgow+rangers

Beating Man City in a British Cup final ...

Those days will come around again, despite City and so many other clubs, arguably unfair, financial advantage (sic).

Some might say you simply live with that and address same in a dignified manner... on the pitch, where tropy's are won.

Does anyone know if that 'British Cup' was played for after 1934, or is it somewhere in a long forgotten dusty cupboard at Ibrox!

What do we know about the goalscorer, McAuley?

Reckon the sentiment 'before my tine,' might just apply to the majority here.

This article suggests that Arsenal and Rangers competed for it in 1936

"In September 1936, a match fought under the title ‘British Cup Winners’ was played and Arsenal recorded their first ever victory against Rangers with a slender 2-1 win."

http://www.rangersinlondon.co.uk/1963.htm

I post often in here about Rangers and Arsenal's historic links.

It was an ongoing tradition, peaking with our centenary celebration match against them in 1973

During the 1930s when Arsenal and Rangers were the two greatest club teams in the world (thanks to Chapman and Struth) they played each other every year, then continued with the occasional game in the 50s and 60s.

George Young and Arsenal captain Joe Mercer below.

rangers-v-arsenal-1954.jpg?w=158&h=195&c

Just so delighted at your feedback - you get it too!

Thought the Pathe site had seriously gone 'under the radar'- I've never known it highlighted before about football.

Yes, 'The Man In the HAT, and 'bluegecko', you will spend some time there as will hopefully others.

If I may please - with the advantage of having had more time to browse the Pathe site before posting - suggest the following appetiser for all:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/scottish-cup-final-technicolor/query/glasgow+rangers+celtic

"Scottish Cup Final 1963 - Technicolor"

Now *that's* a Rangers strip.

'Shot in Technicolor' no less. Next thing you know we'll put a man on the moon.

Love that strip. That's a Rangers strip and just maybe some in that footage who stood tall to wear it.

Heres the replay

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/special-rangers-win-cup/query/glasgow+rangers

Anyone on the forum who was at the 1963 cup final and saw *that* Rangers side?

Pretty sure your reminiscing would be somewhat welcome here.

i was at this game and when we gubbed them in the replay.

i've written on here about it on more than a few occasions.

the replay was the biggest humiliation for septic in their history.

if we had gone for goals instead of taking the mickey out of them, we'd have scored 10.

we were laughing at celtic, their end was empty after the 3rd goal with 20 minutes left in the game.

Baxter was unbelievable.

if you thought he embarrassed the english with his keepy uppy, it was nothing in comparison with his humiliation of septic in this game.

it was the game the chant of 'easy easy' was born

Many thanks to:

'Redwhiteandblue'

'Ibroxholm'

'tannerall'

'soulboy'

'baxterboy' and all for latest responses.

If I may, please, briefly reply:

'Redwhiteandblue' noted:

"Also, think the British cup ran until the '70's, might be wrong though. Pretty sure there's one in the trophy room".

Anyone else love to see a photo of this trophy!?

'Ibroxholm' wrote:

"Some great stuff. Is that Ibrox in the 1921 cup final against Thistle?"

A couple of acquaintances, who are elderly Jags fans, had no idea this footage existed and are distraught the only Thistle Scottish Cup Final winning goal ever isn't shown!

'tannerall' explained:

"During the 1930s when Arsenal and Rangers were the two greatest club teams in the world (thanks to Chapman and Struth) they played each other every year, then continued with the occasional game in the 50s and 60s"

Had no idea about any of that. Incredible and grateful you have highlighted this as part of the club's history. Amazing.

'baxterboy' added:

"Baxter was unbelievable.

if you thought he embarrassed the english with his keepy uppy, it was nothing in comparison with his humiliation of septic in this game.

it was the game the chant of 'easy easy' was born".

That's just staggering to learn.

If this is where chants of "easy, easy" *originated* and I have no doubt, it's a legendary football recollection and one that should perhaps be passed on elsewhere!

some brilliant stuff there thanks for posting

If that's 'Scottish Borders', 'bordersbear', you won't be a million miles from where I'm posting!

Delighted yourself and others have appreciated just highlighting these online memories from the club's history and respondents have profoundly added to our knowledge.