Biggest Match Attendance You Have Been To

pcbear

Funnily enough the highest match attendance at a football match that I was at was the 1970 Celtic versus Leeds european cup semi final at Hampden where 146,000 attended that (it was probably way more than that) I am sure that there were many thousands of bears there that night. I think there was 132,000 at the 1969 Scottish cup final and that is the largest attendance I attended watching Rangers. It must be really hard for younger bears to imagine such huge attendances given the smaller capacities nowadays.

Linny, I know you and wouldn't of admitted to that one, does bud 72 and clan mc crae know about that outing?

Think my biggest attendance was at Hampdump in front of 120,000, about 1970 and against the great unwashed.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1973 cup final.

Agree with the poster who suggested those 12,000 "unsold" tickets were bogus, and also saw a few sneak in with backhanders and a few youngsters lifted over the turnstyles, so suspect the actual attendance was a bit higher.

Certainly the most crowded game I was at. When Conn scored early in the second half I literally ended up about 20-30 yards further down when the celebrations died down than where i was originally just with the crowd pressure.

As Linny said there were thousands of bears there that night; Leeds were a top side and some of us might have been there not only to see such a team but maybe just hoping to see the team which had been dominant in Scotland to get humped.

Unfortunately,Leeds let us down.

In amongst that fucking shower of fucking scum, don't think so.

199854 for me WCF 1950. Halcyon days :)

And in true Forest Gump fashion I bet you were the one who told the Uruguayan manager at half time that the Brazilian goalkeeper was suspect at his near post, which led to a tactical change which created Uruguay's second half goals.

Can't mind the attendance,but I'll never forget Cooper smashing that free kick past Leighton

Think hampden capacity was about 72,000 in those days. Still heard the ball hit the back of the net on the TV , then the silence for what felt like a second or two ,finally the bedlam of noise , happy days.

And in true Forest Gump fashion I bet you were the one who told the Uruguayan manager at half time that the Brazilian goalkeeper was suspect at his near post, which led to a tactical change which created Uruguay's second half goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Rph3ZVKo0

I couldn't possibly say :pipe:

I started going to the games around 76 when the big attendances started dropping off, being from that era I can't tell you how much I respect the early 70s, sometimes I close my eyes and feel I can taste it

That's just the aftertaste of the mutton pies they served back then, takes decades to clear out from the system.

Anyone remember the hamburger stall at the back of the Copland Road terrace back then. Was just dodgy hamburgers floating around in a big steel container of brown gravy stuff, amongst the worst food i ever ate. That was also where the gas cannister exploded in a midweek game against Motherwell and we all though initially it was an IRA bomb, and all ran on the park.

That's just the aftertaste of the mutton pies they served back then, takes decades to clear out from the system.

Anyone remember the hamburger stall at the back of the Copland Road terrace back then. Was just dodgy hamburgers floating around in a big steel container of brown gravy stuff, amongst the worst food i ever ate. That was also where the gas cannister exploded in a midweek game against Motherwell and we all though initially it was an IRA bomb, and all ran on the park.

Fucking pussies

Scotland v Czechoslovakia in 1977 - official crowd 85 000 but loads of people got in by paying the guys on the turnstiles, myself included.

I ended up in the Celtic end with my mate who for some reason had brought his Rangers scarf. He kept it hidden until we scored but then started waving it about which didn't really endear us to some of the crowd around us.

Not sure but my Dad took me as a boy when the enclosures were still standing and people still got a carryout in. Remember on a cold day the back of my leg getting warm as some steamer pished down the back a my leg was early 80's to mid but fuck knows attendances back then.

I hear tales of having fires in the enclosures in winter to keep warm but not sure if a wind up.

No idea now i come to think about it. How much does the City of Manchester stadium hold?

Apart from Ibrox and the Rolf Harris Arena the biggest stadium ive bèen to is the Emirates but dont think it was sold out. Was in Stuutgart as well but dont know how much that holds.

Ive been to a UNC Tarheels American Football game and i think the stadium held 60 odd thousand but i dont think it was a sell out when u was there