Biggest Match Attendance You Have Been To

pcbear

139,000 was the attendance given for the Scotland v England game at Hampden in 1970 134.000 tickets sold plus an alledged 5k forgeries, I was on my dads shoulders all the match, 122k plus when Forsyth scuffed it in with his studs v the tims, loads of 100k attendances at Hampden and I also seen Scotland winning twice at Wembley both 100k 1977(on the park) and 1981 John Robertson penalty, the 80k Ibrox attendances eg v Bayern ECWC semi were before my time but there must have been a few touching 70k mid 70's v them, whats yours?

Interesting stat I just found, in season 2008-2009 our average attendance was 49955, highest being 50488 lowest 48218 watp or what.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funnily enough the highest match attendance at a football match that I was at was the 1970 Celtic versus Leeds european cup semi final at Hampden where 146,000 attended that (it was probably way more than that) I am sure that there were many thousands of bears there that night. I think there was 132,000 at the 1969 Scottish cup final and that is the largest attendance I attended watching Rangers. It must be really hard for younger bears to imagine such huge attendances given the smaller capacities nowadays.

139,000 was the attendance given for the Scotland v England game at Hampden in 1970 134.000 tickets sold plus an alledged 5k forgeries, I was on my dads shoulders all the match, 122k plus when Forsyth scuffed it in with his studs v the tims, loads of 100k attendances at Hampden and I also seen Scotland winning twice at Wembley both 100k 1977(on the park) and 1981 John Robertson penalty, the 80k Ibrox attendances eg v Bayern ECWC semi were before my time but there must have been a few touching 70k mid 70's v them, whats yours?

Interesting stat I just found, in season 2008-2009 our average attendance was 49955, highest being 50488 lowest 48218 watp or what.

I'm sorry - that's nonsense!!

Forsyth's goal was a measured strike, picked his spot after coldly calculating all the options!

Scuff - pha! - never a finer goal from 6 inches! ;)

Probably biggest crowd I was in !

Funnily enough the highest match attendance at a football match that I was at was the 1970 Celtic versus Leeds european cup semi final at Hampden where 146,000 attended that (it was probably way more than that) I am sure that there were many thousands of bears there that night. I think there was 132,000 at the 1969 Scottish cup final and that is the largest attendance I attended watching Rangers. It must be really hard for younger bears to imagine such huge attendances given the smaller capacities nowadays.

Your having a laugh, bears at a celtic match, i never even watched the highlights.

27th May 1972 Hampden 120k Scotland vs England

5th May 1973 122k big Tam rockets home the winner vs the Bheasts

24 Oct 1970, DJ heads winer in front of 107k. Last league cup final with over 100k in attendance

I even remember 85k versus Hearts in the 75-76 final

Remember being at Wembley 1977 and took some grass home, think the crowd was 95k

For sheer atmosphere being in the Kop when Scotland best Wales was something else.

Biggest game I was at in Edinburgh was when Scotland beat Wales at Murrayfied in 1975 --- 81,000 that day.

Your having a laugh, bears at a celtic match, i never even watched the highlights.

The auld 68 corporation bus to Mount Florida from Paisley Road Toll in Kinning Park was full of bears that night mate. I should know because I was on it. We all thought Revies Leeds would hammer Celtic at Hampden and it looked good for a while when Bremner scored a cracker. Cant remember how it finished though.

The big Hampden attendances before the terraces were concreted were mental, it was a railway sleeper ash fill in type build up, when a goal was scored all the ash cloud took ages to clear when it was all kicked around during the celebrations, when you went home after a win at Hampden you looked like a feckin coal miner.

And at Parkhead we got the full end part of the main stand and if my minds not playing tricks a bit of the jungle (anyone confirm?)

The big Hampden attendances before the terraces were concreted were mental, it was a railway sleeper ash fill in type build up, when a goal was scored all the ash cloud took ages to clear when it was all kicked around during the celebrations, when you went home after a win at Hampden you looked like a feckin coal miner.

That old Hampden terracing was a death trap, it amazes me there were no serious accidents there. The old railway sleepers were uneven with chunks missing and big dips on the ash steps. When you consider how pished everyone was at games back then and all the empty cans and bottles at your feet, it was mental.

The cloud of dust under that cover when Rangers scored ended up every where, in your eyes, your mouth, up your nose. For days afterwards you were sneezing black snotters. I'm glad I wasn't asthmatic at that time, breathing in that dust today would kill me.

That old Hampden terracing was a death trap, it amazes me there were no serious accidents there. The old railway sleepers were uneven with chunks missing and big dips on the ash steps. When you consider how pished everyone was at games back then and all the empty cans and bottles at your feet, it was mental.

The cloud of dust under that cover when Rangers scored ended up every where, in your eyes, your mouth, up your nose. For days afterwards you were sneezing black snotters. I'm glad I wasn't asthmatic at that time, breathing in that dust today would kill me.

Great fun though ;-)

As Linny said there were thousands of bears there that night; Leeds were a top side and some of us might have been there not only to see such a team but maybe just hoping to see the team which had been dominant in Scotland to get humped.

Unfortunately,Leeds let us down.