Could The Pitch Be Wider?

BridgeIsBlue

Guy I was sitting next to last night brought this up and I've never really thought much about it before. With the style of football we're wanting to play surely it's a must to have the pitch as wide as it can go....

Question is can it be done? Me personally I think it's something the powers at be should be looking into.

What advantage would it give us, when we play to our potential there is more than enough space.

It's one of the reasons I'm hoping the cup final is at Hampden,be nice to see what the players can do on the bigger pitch there.

Having it bigger would be hugely beneficial to us imo.

The pitch was narrowed at the enclosure side last season under McCoist. Not sure if it was ever increased.

Was the narrowing something to do with the Commonwealth Games? Did the club ever get compensation for having to rip out the concrete they put in to support the rugby posts?

Was the narrowing something to do with the Commonwealth Games? Did the club ever get compensation for having to rip out the concrete they put in to support the rugby posts?

Was the concrete taken out? If it was, then it should have been covered by the mob who pit it there.

The pitch was narrowed at the enclosure side last season under McCoist. Not sure if it was ever increased.

It couldn't be just the enclosure side , it would have to be both sides as your logic would make one side of the pitch nearer to the goals than the other when taking corners if you think about it and by the looks of the path worn by linesman running the touchline on the Govan side last season it was only a yard from the touchline so in my opinion it wasn't reduced but instead the whole new layer of AstroTurf that was laid right up to the enclosure touchline makes it look shorter.

It couldn't be just the enclosure side , it would have to be both sides as your logic would make one side of the pitch nearer to the goals than the other when taking corners if you think about it and by the looks of the path worn by linesman running the touchline on the Govan side last season it was only a yard from the touchline so in my opinion it wasn't reduced but instead the whole new layer of AstroTurf that was laid right up to the enclosure touchline makes it look shorter.

Not if the pitch was resprayed it wouldn't as someone said it might have been to do with the rugby getting played here.

I agree that the pitch should be wider, but here lies the problem - the wider the pitch means that the ball should get crossed more.

Until we have a player that can get on to those crosses, there is no point in widening it.

Arsenal have one of the biggest pitches in Europe and they don't put crosses in.

The way we play with quick passing and movement it would obviously be beneficial to have the pitch widened. Opposition teams would be stretched more giving us more space to play in.

Not if the pitch was resprayed it wouldn't as someone said it might have been to do with the rugby getting played here.

I'm sure it was to do with the rugby. The pitch was definitely lengthened for it. I'm think it was narrowed slightly and due to the timing to get it back usable to us the narrowed part was never reseeded but replaced with Astro.

The pitch looks like it's been taken in a bit this season. You could see the old faded lines down the side earlier in the season.

I'd imagine pitch size was thought about before a ball was even kicked.

It's not changed on the Main stand side. The grass ends right at the line.

I think your missing my point mate. If you are saying its been shortened on the enclosure side then it has to be shortened on the other side aswell and it didn't look like it to me due to the path worn by the linesman on the Govan side was still noticeable at the start of last season .

I think your missing my point mate. If you are saying its been shortened on the enclosure side then it has to be shortened on the other side aswell and it didn't look like it to me due to the path worn by the linesman on the Govan side was still noticeable at the start of last season .

No it doesn't. All it would take is for the goals to be moved and the grass resprayed. Which I actually think is what happened after the rugby was finished.