Should We Be Looking To Build A New Stadium Next 10 Years?

MacBoyd

Can I just say we should absolutely be keeping tabs on what all of our competitors are doing...its basic stuff from a business perspective. I would include teams from other European countries, in particular Holland. Where are their key revenue streams? How do they maximise profit? How much do they invest in their team, youth development, coaching, scouting.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Club isnt catering to fans because it hasnt built a 5 million seater stadium, the board needs to get their finger out and buy some land.

I found a website called fitbastats that lists our attendande figures and did some maths based on their numbers http://www.fitbastats.com/rangers/club_records_league_attendance.php

For the past 10 years our average attendance has been 45,394

Since 1996 our average attendance has been 46,985

Since 1980 our average attendance has been 40,677 and even if you take the average of our maximum attendance per season since 1980 its only 46,689

So theres the numbers. Even taking the numbers from the 9IAR era, there is nothing to suggest we need a 60,000 seater ground or that we'd even be able to fill it.

So until youve got something to back up your agument stop making a fanny of yourself. Your last post was literally just you repeating lines from previous posts because youve got nothing.

Do you think average attendances tell the whole story?

You don't have to be filling your stadium every game to benefit from a larger capacity. I do completely agree it would need to make financial sense and a case study completed to determine how long it would take to recoup construction costs, etc.

Do you think average attendances tell the whole story?

You don't have to be filling your stadium every game to benefit from a larger capacity. I do completely agree it would need to make financial sense and a case study completed to determine how long it would take to recoup construction costs, etc.

Folk have spent this whole thread comparing us and our stadium with other clubs and theirs, so what other Clubs increase their capacity to over 15,000 more than their average attendance for 2 games a season?

Folk have mentioned Arsenal expanding, but the have a TV deal, and they have Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham and West Ham coming to their ground every season and they have all the tourists too. Its a terrible comparison.

Folk have spent this whole thread comparing us and our stadium with other clubs and theirs, so what other Clubs increase their capacity to over 15,000 more than their average attendance for 2 games a season?

Folk have mentioned Arsenal expanding, but the have a TV deal, and they have Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham and West Ham coming to their ground every season and they have all the tourists too. Its a terrible comparison.

That was you ya fucking idiot. :lol:

I think we sell out Ibrox for more than 2 games a season.

As I said average attendances only tell part of the story, especially when regularly getting 30k for midweek winter games, etc. If the average attendance is 45k then we must have been selling out pretty regularly.

Aye, I imagine it could be done, but as you mentioned about the steel work that holds the roof up, the amount of money it would cost just to put a few extra seats in would make it a crazy decision. Filling in the corners of the main stand would probably be easier and cheeper, but it would mean that the staircase's wouldn't be visable from inside the stadium which for me is a no-go. Those stairs are unique and are one of the things that makes our stadium stand out.

Anyway, we don't need extra seats. Bar old firm games and big European games, we never sell out our stadium. We don't want our stadium to look like the tims half empty stadium most games.

Ibrox Stadium is a world-recognised Listed Building, a thing of beauty and a joy for ever.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town Kiddie-Fiddler Palace is a 'listing' pile of shite and breeze-block and smelling like a burst WC.

Nothing to see (build) here.

Let's mend a few things and move along.

Wonder when Ibrox was reconstructed did they think it would last 40yrs without major work in the future ? well this is the future and if we think our club has the stature we all talk about then what's wrong with wanting the best , yes all the premiership clubs are leaving us behind and tv money has helped them with that but a lick of paint onto old paint just looks cheap and nasty the Rangers of old would never be second best as we all know what it was like when in the early eighties WE had the most modern stadium in Britain that was being no.1 . There's nothing wrong being positive.

I read that and see a man beaten, afraid almost. To suggest the biggest club in the country only have 30-40 odd thousand people willing to pay to watch the team is nonsense despite what our attendance figures say. There is no platform to offer them more on a regular basis but we have seen in the past demand on a scale unrivalled in world football. Villarreal, Barceloan, Manchester, sell outs in the 4th division, global surveys showing over 5 million fans, we know the fans are there, the club isn't catering for them though. That is the key. It hasn't catered for our fans for a very long time, fans have been treated with contempt by the club for the last 20 years, fans haven't had anything to buy into. It's the boards job to give the Rangers family a club worthy of itself and an old run down stadium with 50000 capacity is not one befitting our club. We seriously need to grow with the times. As everyone else is. Our main rivals got a march on us directly from building bigger and making more money. They had a vision and it worked. We're now playing catch up.

Beaten and afraid? :lol:

I'm not the one with an inferiority complex to the tims.

There is no platform to offer more, because there is no evidence to suggest it would be filled out on a regular enough basis for it to make sense financially.

It may take 15+ years, but what happens during those 15+ years where we are chasing a loss and have spent millions that could have been invested in other areas to improve our performance and our image with fans worldwide.

Scottish football is on its arse, and if you think that the odd sellout game is sound reason enough to plough millions we don't have into expanding the stadium, then I'm glad you aren't the one making decisions.

The three new stands at Ibrox were built goalpost style to keep the cost down with no thought of upgrading the size in the future, basically built in obsolescence. It would be cheaper to knock them down and build a one piece unit, but then the side towers at the main stand would also get in the way, I don't think there is an easy or cheap way to upgrade Ibrox, by being tied to the main stand.

Also the surrounding area is a bloody nightmare to get out quickly by all manner of transport, especially by car, any up sizing would need to be planned with parking, access and exiting the arena with equal importance. My opinion is a new stadium would need to be built with all of the aforementioned, and I don't think it will happen anytime soon, and that's not even considering the Glasgow council stance towards us( they just love Rangers!!!).