Would You Have Taken This Position Pre-Season?

DennyBlueNose

I thought I'd try and put this into perspective, despite succumbing to our 2nd league defeat we're still top of the table and have scored 47 in 17.

This was never going to be a stroll in the park, early season teams were still getting to grip with our electric style of football so we were walking all over them.

The difference between us of last season is phenomenal, if I'd been offered this position pre-season and pre-Warburton I'd have taken the hand right off you. I'd have wanted more but that's the beauty of following the world's most successful club, it has afforded us the luxury of expecting nothing but the best.

We've had a shaky month or so but that doesn't warrant the hysteria that I've seen on here, we should be standing proud knowing we're heading in the right direction after the last few years of torture we've had to endure.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course. The last month or so has just showed us that we got a little carried away earlier in the season.

We'll improve again, we'll get some new players in January, and everything will seem better than it seems today.

As usual, the reality probably lies somewhere in between today's panic stricken disaster and yesterday's soon to be runaway champions of Scotland.

Yes I would before a ball was kicked.

However given the points we were ahead and the form we've showed earlier in the season, I also find our current regression unacceptable.

I dont see it as regression, we've just hit a bad patch of form, it happens to the best clubs in the world all the time.

Putting things into perspective we've had a great season, 3-4 more games and we will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

The points and goal difference were built up inthe early part of the season, we are where we are because of past form.

What I'm starting to wonder now is - are we playing below standard, or is the current way we are playing our actual standard, and the good form at the start of the season was a wee purple patch which we won't manage to replicate?

Also what happened to the dressing room inquests after we beat Livingston 3-0 at the start of the season but didn't play to the standard they felt required? has that went out the window?

Or was it exaggerated and hot air to impress the fans?

Tied level with Hibs at Xmas. No. It's disgraceful, an embarrassment on a par with Allys reign. £7m wage bill and hundreds of thousands spent on players. We should have been well out of sight. This is the Scottish 2nd Division, not the fucking Bundesliga.

On par with Ally? I think you're getting a bit carried away there.

I dont see it as regression, we've just hit a bad patch of form, it happens to the best clubs in the world all the time.

Putting things into perspective we've had a great season, 3-4 more games and we will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

From where we were in terms of

Fluid passing

Goals for

Points gained

Players on form

Goals spread around the team

Confidence

Chances created

Clinical football

Winning tactics

Sensible starting line ups/substitutions

Players showing dig

To me a dip in form doesn't cover it.

The tactics deployed by others are better than our approach in dealing with them. Imo this is regression more than just form.

I thought I'd try and put this into perspective, despite succumbing to our 2nd league defeat we're still top of the table and have scored 47 in 17.

This was never going to be a stroll in the park, early season teams were still getting to grip with our electric style of football so we were walking all over them.

The difference between us of last season is phenomenal, if I'd been offered this position pre-season and pre-Warburton I'd have taken the hand right off you. I'd have wanted more but that's the beauty of following the world's most successful club, it has afforded us the luxury of expecting nothing but the best.

We've had a shaky month or so but that doesn't warrant the hysteria that I've seen on here, we should be standing proud knowing we're heading in the right direction after the last few years of torture we've had to endure.

No, we are Rangers. I wouldn't even take us tied in the top division never mind in the second tier of a didy football country.

Tied level with Hibs at Xmas. No. It's disgraceful, an embarrassment on a par with Allys reign. £7m wage bill and hundreds of thousands spent on players. We should have been well out of sight. This is the Scottish 2nd Division, not the fucking Bundesliga.

Is your Mother Well?

Well said, the lack of ambition amongst our modern day fans is truly appalling.

Have some ambition man

Is your Mother Well?

I don't get this taig thing leveled at him. He's just calling it as he see's it ... even if it sounds negative and harsh. Should be respected even if you don't agree. There's loads of taigs on here - I honestly doubt he's one of them.

Bottle. Lack of it. Not doing enough to handle the pressure of Rangers in a 'must win league' season. They didn't have it as players last season and the 3 managers last season did not have enough leadership and bottle in their lockers to deal with the pressure either. As performances falter and results slide away if they find themselves behind Hibs by end of Jan and with signings that are lightweight youths or players inexperienced in handling promption winning pressure then the pressures will become too much and a repeat of last season becomes quite possible. The Manager speaks management-speak. He analyses He looks at stats. He says we must improve. He says we must be more clinical and ruthless in front of goal. He says we must cut out mistakes. He says we need to take more advantage at corner kicks. He says the team is young and is learning. Oh and he's now taken to McCoistisms of bringing in quality of pitch and windy weather into the post match analysis. But so far he's not shown anywhere near enough evidence or indication of learning translated into effective actions that shows that they have learned. And can he do more than manager-speak? Can he be an effective leader? The proof of that pudding is results going our way and winning the league/ If he can't demonstrate that by end Jan wonder how much longer King would put up with the risk of not winning promotion this season. Warburton and the squad have brought the increased pressure on themselves.

From where we were in terms of

Fluid passing

Goals for

Points gained

Players on form

Goals spread around the team

Confidence

Chances created

Clinical football

Winning tactics

Sensible starting line ups/substitutions

Players showing dig

To me a dip in form doesn't cover it.

The tactics deployed by others are better than our approach in dealing with them. Imo this is regression more than just form.

You're right in that other teams have outperformed us tactically recently but that's no reason to panic.

I think Warburton's right when he says we need to get better at 'Plan A', that comes down to the players. A couple of signings in January should help that.

I don't think we were clinical early season tho, even when we were running away in games we were still spurning a lot of chances. The difference is we aren't creating as many chances now that teams are learning to sit deep so when we do we need to be more clinical.

I would, but i'd also expect us to have improved the players who came in in but instead they seem to have regressed.

This is the time Warburton will find out if he has what it takes to manage Rangers, the same as the players, if they come through this even at this level it will help us long term, if we do make it up this season.

You play two quick players up against our defence and its a win for the other team we cant cope with pace.

No, we are Rangers. I wouldn't even take us tied in the top division never mind in the second tier of a didy football country.

You need to look at where we've come from, there have been massive strides made in getting us back to the top. This was never going to be easy but from what I've seen so far I'm still happy, of course I want more but that doesn't mean we can't be pleased with the progress.

You're right in that other teams have outperformed us tactically recently but that's no reason to panic.

I think Warburton's right when he says we need to get better at 'Plan A', that comes down to the players. A couple of signings in January should help that.

I don't think we were clinical early season tho, even when we were running away in games we were still spurning a lot of chances. The difference is we aren't creating as many chances now that teams are learning to sit deep so when we do we need to be more clinical.

Clinical football not necessarily shooting. Crisp passing, players making better decisions etc.

I'm not panicking, and it's night and day compared to last year.

But it's time folk stopped treating hivees as if their challenge is shit on our shoe, as they did with Herts last year.

Yes signings would help.

My big concern though is that week on week we are talking about what's needed, that we know and train on what we need to do. Yet they players aren't doing it for themselves the gaffer or us. What spark is needed? Where is the evidence that it's not just talk?

Huge few weeks ahead. Huge.

Have some ambition man

I have ambition, I just won't start to panic after a couple of dodgy results. I've seen enough of Warburton so far to be happy he's taking us in the right direction.

I think the problem is we started so well which caused the expectation levels to spike, I still expect us to be back at the top but I'm under no illusions it will take time and investment.