Would You Have Taken This Position Pre-Season?

DennyBlueNose

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Should have been a bigger lead but our form has certainly shaded off late. However, that was always going to happen, important thing is to hit top form when it really matters - in March/April.

More worrying is our continued failure to take the big chances. Against Hibs, Morton and Falkirk we had golden opportunities to score late on and didn't convert. Even worse, the chances were missed by the two players you would have backed to score. When you consider that Hibs scraped results with last minute goals in their last two games, that's a big turn round in points. Small margins indeed. We have to start making these big moments count in our favour as the season goes on.

At the same stage last year we had 35 points from 17 games and we're sitting with 41 points from 17 games so it's better than last year, so although our current form isn't good and things could be better we are in a better position on and off the park than 12 months ago so it's not all bad news.

I expected us to lose the early games as the players gelled and come stronger with good coaching, but its been the opposite we seem to struggle and every week we get an interview saying this week we will get it right.

We seem no more gelled than on the first day of the season.

At the same stage last year we had 35 points from 17 games and we're sitting with 41 points from 17 games so it's better than last year, so although our current form isn't good and things could be better we are in a better position on and off the park than 12 months ago so it's not all bad news.

For all the hype about this season & doom & gloom about last, that isn't exactly a stellar improvement, is it, when you put it like that.

Just about par for the course, having had Hearts removed from our division.

Looks a bit more lively on the park, in the main.

My answer is no .After the Hibs 6-2 game I lumped on 900 at 4/9 to win the league .I thought it would be money in the bank .The fact the people were saying a few weeks before the Hivs game that we lost .Win that and the title is over .Then you can clearly see how far we have fallen .It's not acceptable and for me ,our Manager takes a lot of the blame .If we don't win the title after the lead and control we had in the league .It goes down as one of the most disgraceful collapses in my football supporting life

I think there are a lot of people panicking a bit..

We might only be 6 points better off that at this point last year, but some things you cant meadure in points.. I think we have put in place a very good foundation to build on. We are only a few months in to the project with one window for our Manager to build a team in.. He will know exactly what to improve in the next window and will have a list ready.

Another thing.. A lot of our players havent been featuring on a regular basis for their previous teams, so I reckon that they are mentally fatigued, especially with a lean squad.

Anyways.. I reckon our Manager will sort it out in January if the board lets him.

I think there are a lot of people panicking a bit..

We might only be 6 points better off that at this point last year, but some things you cant meadure in points.. I think we have put in place a very good foundation to build on. We are only a few months in to the project with one window for our Manager to build a team in.. He will know exactly what to improve in the next window and will have a list ready.

Another thing.. A lot of our players havent been featuring on a regular basis for their previous teams, so I reckon that they are mentally fatigued, especially with a lean squad.

Anyways.. I reckon our Manager will sort it out in January if the board lets him.

I think however it happens, backing him in January is a must.

I agree with the rest as well, no one wants to spend another year in this league, and so we all want it finished yesterday, but while I have every faith we will get promoted, I think hivs will test us right to the end of the season.

have to say no. as eejay said after we thumped hibs 6-2 i thought this league would be a walkover.

I still think we will win automatic promotion but imo it depends on what we do in the january market.

We have the right way of playing but we need to be more clinical up front and more direct instead of looking to pass the ball around so much.

If we get a quality DCM in hopefully that will sort us out at the back

We will never beat hivs by trying to match them physically, that's for sure, so we need to shore up the defence, keep possession, get forward quicker and take our chances.

We need to regain self belief, so building up this young team's confidence pre match is paramount. Get the attitudes right and they give us the performance of the season.

We can do it.

Would always see us top,strange thing to ask ?? The epl proves you can't buy success,(ebt or whatever) this is not news,unless your taking the piss or pished ? It's about strong team and management?it's about history and commitment and taking our club forward.

We welcome the chase

Would always see us top,strange thing to ask ?? The epl proves you can't buy success,(ebt or whatever) this is not news,unless your taking the piss or pished ? It's about strong team and management?it's about history and commitment and taking our club forward.

We welcome the chase

We welcome the chase

Hmmm

We seem no more gelled than on the first day of the season.

This really is the problem. The current squad will not improve. They have reached their capability with this system so if we continue with it then we need to add some and jettison others. At the minute I think we need to beat Hibs in every game to stand any chance of winning the league. We will drop more points against the others than Hibs will.

After last season I would be over the moon, and quite frankly I am still pretty ok with our position. People have to realise that the current situation is somewhat out of our control. Hibs have been playing really well and that 6-2 demolishing we dished out at the start of the season has spurred them on.

Don't get me wrong, droping points to Livingston, Morton etc. is unacceptable but was expected. Warbuton has worked wonders his short time here and when you consider the football from a last year till now I am quite happy.

This really is the problem. The current squad will not improve. They have reached their capability with this system so if we continue with it then we need to add some and jettison others. At the minute I think we need to beat Hibs in every game to stand any chance of winning the league. We will drop more points against the others than Hibs will.

Certainly can't afford many more slip ups!

Hibs are notorious bottlers, so be interesting to see what they've got when the pressure really cranks up.

That said, we're untested, so it's anybody's guess how we'll cope.

We welcome the chase

Ok

I think it's a lot to do with timing. If you were to compare it to last year it would be as if all three teams at the top (Rangers, Hearts and Hibs) were neck and neck, so I'm happy with the position. The problem is it feels like a slump because it's happening now and not at the start of the season when we expected a bit of chaos. It's been exacerbated by Hibs finding a real level of consistency and competitiveness. It's better that we are in a title race now because we'll need to be ready for it next season. So right now -having had the possibility of pulling 11 points ahead - we are level and have dropped points. However, I have no doubt whatsoever that Warburton will be backed by the board to bring in any players he believes he needs. After all it is they who have said that we must be promoted. A couple of key signings - to my mind a pacey striker or attacking midfielder that sees the final pass and cdm would do it and a slight re-jig of tactics to draw opposition defenses out just a little, would do the trick. All is fine, but we must not lose on the 28th, although even that would not be fatal. It's different being the leader than being the challenger - it takes more bottle.

Bottle. Lack of it. Not doing enough to handle the pressure of Rangers in a 'must win league' season. They didn't have it as players last season and the 3 managers last season did not have enough leadership and bottle in their lockers to deal with the pressure either. As performances falter and results slide away if they find themselves behind Hibs by end of Jan and with signings that are lightweight youths or players inexperienced in handling promption winning pressure then the pressures will become too much and a repeat of last season becomes quite possible. The Manager speaks management-speak. He analyses He looks at stats. He says we must improve. He says we must be more clinical and ruthless in front of goal. He says we must cut out mistakes. He says we need to take more advantage at corner kicks. He says the team is young and is learning. Oh and he's now taken to McCoistisms of bringing in quality of pitch and windy weather into the post match analysis. But so far he's not shown anywhere near enough evidence or indication of learning translated into effective actions that shows that they have learned. And can he do more than manager-speak? Can he be an effective leader? The proof of that pudding is results going our way and winning the league/ If he can't demonstrate that by end Jan wonder how much longer King would put up with the risk of not winning promotion this season. Warburton and the squad have brought the increased pressure on themselves.

Really - you only give him till end of January? Despite all the changes made, progress - and good direction - he gets to the end of January? Lol - what then? Jose?

Even if we don't beat hibs ( God help us) I would not give us so easily. Dynasties take time to build not a new 'king' every 6 months.