Scotland-England Games. Great Performances By Gers Players.

tannerall

Baxter at Wembley in 1967 was probably the most sublime performance ever by a Gers player (or any Scots player) in the traditional Auld Enemy clashes. My dad was fortunate to have been at that game, and always recalled it as one of his highlights.

Many others spring to mind, for me including Tom Forsyth's performance back in 1976 and that tackle on Channon :clap: Possibly the greatest ever by a Gers player.
Was 2-1 toScotland in the final minutes. Channon broke through the defence and was clear in on goal. Big Tam slid in to tackle him inside the penalty area. Channon went straight to ground. Penalty? No, Forsyth had timed the tackle brilliantly, nicking the ball off Channon's toes without touching him. A moment of perfection. Ball went out for a throw and Scotland won the match.

And of course there were fine moments for Gers players in the White Shirts, especially Gascoigne's solo goal at the 96 Euros.

Baxter at Wembley in 1967 was probably the most sublime performance ever by a Gers player (or any Scots player) in the traditional Auld Enemy clashes. My dad was fortunate to have been at that game, and always recalled it as one of his highlights.

Many others spring to mind, for me including Tom Forsyth's performance back in 1976 and that tackle on Channon :clap: Possibly the greatest ever by a Gers player.

Was 2-1 toScotland in the final minutes. Channon broke through the defence and was clear in on goal. Big Tam slid in to tackle him inside the penalty area. Channon went straight to ground. Penalty? No, Forsyth had timed the tackle brilliantly, nicking the ball off Channon's toes without touching him. A moment of perfection. Ball went out for a throw and Scotland won the match.

And of course there were fine moments for Gers players in the White Shirts, especially Gascoigne's solo goal at the 96 Euros.

"Tam Forsyth he's got jaws

He's got Channon by the baws

na na na na na na na

na na.

Probably cheating here but Alex McLeish , yes I know , played a blinder at Wembley back in 1980 .

Nobody expected us to win , but win we did 1-0 with a John Robertson penalty iirc. It was a back to the walls performance where Big Eck was that unknown , that the English commentators referred to him as that red headed bloke at first.

They certainly found out who he was , as he , and to a lesser degree , Willie Miller :D , stood firm for a surprise victory.

Probably cheating here but Alex McLeish , yes I know , played a blinder at Wembley back in 1980 .

Nobody expected us to win , but win we did 1-0 with a John Robertson penalty iirc. It was a back to the walls performance where Big Eck was that unknown , that the English commentators referred to him as that red headed bloke at first.

They certainly found out who he was , as he , and to a lesser degree , Willie Miller :D , stood firm for a surprise victory.

1981, Odd number games at Wembley even at Hampden ,1980 at Hampden was 0-2 England.

Back in 60s Scotland played England I think 1963 Scotland played with 10 men as Eric Caldow leg was broken. Davie Wilson who was left wing then moved to Left Back and played a stormer along with Jim Baxter who I think scored the 2 goals in Scotland's 2-0 victory

Back in 60s Scotland played England I think 1963 Scotland played with 10 men as Eric Caldow leg was broken. Davie Wilson who was left wing then moved to Left Back and played a stormer along with Jim Baxter who I think scored the 2 goals in Scotland's 2-0 victory

beat me to that you old codger.

slim jim scored both 1 from penalty spot

beat me to that you old codger.

slim jim scored both 1 from penalty spot

Aye, his first ever senior penalty. However, to me the defining moment was when Wilson at left back cleared up the wing, remembered he was the left winger, ran for the ball and beat every England player to regain possession.

I was at the 1963 game. If you get a chance watch Wullie Henderson help create the first goal for Jim Baxter and also the run that sees Henderson brought down for the penalty. Fantastic weekends in London in the 60's apart from 1961 when Scotland lost 9-3

I was at the 1963 game. If you get a chance watch Wullie Henderson help create the first goal for Jim Baxter and also the run that sees Henderson brought down for the penalty. Fantastic weekends in London in the 60's apart from 1961 when Scotland lost 9-3

In 1961, England decided on an orange ball. Sherer & Caldow wuldn't kick it and Haffey wouldn't touch it.

Me and my mate went to that 1976 game, a few weeks later we went to Blackpool fotr a week. We were standing in a queue for a chip shop, very late one night, when someone in the queue shouted out "Tom Forsyth he's got jaws, he's got Channon by the baws, na na na na na na na."

I also seem to recall that tackle being up for 'save of the year' award in one of the many football magazines around at the time.