Zelalem

Frank Reynolds

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me only one of these players should be on the pitch at any one time playing both is suicide

This shows how little both offer.

Their parent clubs must be really gutted they are not tearing the Scottish championship up. It dosent look good for thier future at the highest level at the moment.

I think because of the role he plays we could easily overlook his attributes. His ability to hold on to the ball is under-rated, in my opinion. Keeping possession is important, and this player keeps possession better than any in the team. He is a very good footballer, and a great player in the making. Making the direct pass is hard when there is a congested area, but even then we can overlook what he brings, because some of his short passes are good. Where I think he would be better is if he took his opportunities in front of goal better. He is very good at making space for himself, another sign of a very good player, but when he has made that space he has not shown the composure he needs to have. He will make it at Arsenal, or a team of that calbre; I'm certain of that.

I thought he was amazing at first and you can see he is great at creating space for himself by letting ball run, feigning a wee turn etc

Think he, like rest of team, are finding it more difficult to execute the killer pass. Teams have changed the way they play against us and are sitting in now and making it tougher for us to play through them.

He is still a kid and i expect he will push on and has the potential to be a top player.

Imo he is a better player when we are winning and the opp are chasing the game. I would play more experienced guys when we are in a scrap as he isnt as battle hardened as some others.

I am glad he is staying and look forward to him scoring his first goal for us.

I thought he was amazing at first and you can see he is great at creating space for himself by letting ball run, feigning a wee turn etc

Think he, like rest of team, are finding it more difficult to execute the killer pass. Teams have changed the way they play against us and are sitting in now and making it tougher for us to play through them.

He is still a kid and i expect he will push on and has the potential to be a top player.

Imo he is a better player when we are winning and the opp are chasing the game. I would play more experienced guys when we are in a scrap as he isnt as battle hardened as some others.

I am glad he is staying and look forward to him scoring his first goal for us.

I think you're right; and the way teams are setting themselves up is posing a problem for all the team, not just Zelalem. I think he is one of those players who makes football look very easy to play; he does things that appear easy, mainly because he does them so well- keeping possession, finding a man with a pass, and appearing to have more time on the ball than he actually has etc. I think his goal will come, if he keeps his composure. I like him, I think he is a very good footballer.

Aye 'assists' are just stupid in most occasions. If you've skinned 4 players and whipped in a cross, or took out a whole defence with a fantastic pass, then fair enough.

If you've made a normal 5 yard pass to a player who has then done something spectacular, then you can't really take credit.

Football hipsters, wanking to a game of Football Manager, will probably tell you differently though.

Aye 'assists' are just stupid in most occasions. If you've skinned 4 players and whipped in a cross, or took out a whole defence with a fantastic pass, then fair enough.

If you've made a normal 5 yard pass to a player who has then done something spectacular, then you can't really take credit.

Football hipsters, wanking to a game of Football Manager, will probably tell you differently though.

I agree. Also; a player involved in the build up might have done more to create the goal than the last player to touch the ball. In the case of Tav's goal, Waghorn did more than Zalalem (although he also didn't do enough to be credited IMO).

Theres only one thing i think about when describing oduwa or zelalem, at the moment are they performing as our young players could, in both cases id say yes therefore we are benefitting someone elses young players while ours rot in the reserves

Exactly. I'm all for making allowances for youngsters (although top players are first teamers at his age), but if you're going to do that, why not give game time to your own? Loan players should only be used if the improve the team at a club like Rangers. I don't care how much potential they have.

Totally agree, I.e. against hivs waghorn rightly got the assist for Holt's first as he played the ball in for Holt to shoot/score. However, McKay got the assist for Holt's second when it was just a straight forward pass that Holt dropped short for in the box, but it was in fact holt's movement/skill that set up the goal for himself thereafter. The assists is fucked up...so if someone passes to another player then they belt one in from 40 yards out that's an assist? :lol: no chance for me. Different if the assister sticks it on the nut or peg of someone to score, feeds a through ball etc but certainly not a pass that doesn't set up a direct scoring opportunity.

Totally agree, I.e. against hivs waghorn rightly got the assist for Holt's first as he played the ball in for Holt to shoot/score. However, McKay got the assist for Holt's second when it was just a straight forward pass that Holt dropped short for in the box, but it was in fact holt's movement/skill that set up the goal for himself thereafter. The assists is fucked up...so if someone passes to another player then they belt one in from 40 yards out that's an assist? :lol: no chance for me. Different if the assister sticks it on the nut or peg of someone to score, feeds a through ball etc but certainly not a pass that doesn't set up a direct scoring opportunity.

Tavenier's interception and quick pass contributed as much to Holt's equaliser as Waghorn's pass, arguably, more. If you are going to count them then sometimes a goal would have more than one assist. No more than ten though. ;)

Tavenier's interception and quick pass contributed as much to Holt's equaliser as Waghorn's pass, arguably, more. If you are going to count them then sometimes a goal would have more than one assist. No more than ten though. ;)

:lol: I agree re interception as without it we would never have got in that position. I think that's why what counts as an assist needs to be revisited, but I appreciate it will come down to who plays the last ball for most. It should be a true assist though for these tables. I mean the pass from zelalem for tav to score a screamer should not be counted as an assist for zelalem imo. The other side of that is who gives a fuck as long as we score :)

I think because of the role he plays we could easily overlook his attributes. His ability to hold on to the ball is under-rated, in my opinion. Keeping possession is important, and this player keeps possession better than any in the team. He is a very good footballer, and a great player in the making. Making the direct pass is hard when there is a congested area, but even then we can overlook what he brings, because some of his short passes are good. Where I think he would be better is if he took his opportunities in front of goal better. He is very good at making space for himself, another sign of a very good player, but when he has made that space he has not shown the composure he needs to have. He will make it at Arsenal, or a team of that calbre; I'm certain of that.

I really don't see him making it at that level. He has lots of good technique, but he's very ineffective, and much moreso than I'd expect of someone with such an esteemed reputation, even allowing for his age.

I really don't see him making it at that level. He has lots of good technique, but he's very ineffective, and much moreso than I'd expect of someone with such an esteemed reputation, even allowing for his age.

He is still 18. You acknowledge that he is a technical player, so maybe with more experience, possibly somewhere else, then he can fulfill his potential. Too early to write him off in my opinion.

When you need to go all the way back to the airdrie game, then that tells you something is amiss

It depend what reason I had to do that. I went to the Airdrie game to illustrate how he made a pass for a goal. I would say, though, that he has played okay for us in subsequent games. For a guy who is only 18, I'd say he plays fairly well; especially when it comes to keeping possession.