And So It Begins

RFC55

I don't think that it's just TBB song that they're complaining about.

I've seen a few comments about the 'Cheer Up Alan Stubbs' song that was sung at the game a few times, although I myself couldn't make out the words that were deemed offensive.

I couldn't hear what we were up to our knees in, it could've been anything eg. Big trophies or EBTs.

I sometimes wonder if the mock offended have a notepad and pen handy so that they can note the day date and time, when they were, allegedly, offended by any of the 'traditional folk songs' that we may sing from time to time.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is that our fans were singing a banned song including words which have been deemed to cause offence so we can't complain if we do receive a punishment. Nor can we say that other teams are treated with leniency compared to us.

Imagine if we were docked 3 points and lost the league by a couple of points. The singers would perhaps regret digging out the old songbook. I know that won't happen but one day we will be back in Europe and daft singing could land us in real bother.

Personally I wish we could just move on and treat it like going to a football match. Other teams seem to manage.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”

We should never be "moving on" (Surrendering) The issue is that people who get offended need to be told to get tae... that includes the authorities...

It's like we're the pantomime villains of Scottish football. Which would be hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that it COULD be pretty damaging if the authorities run with it. I suppose they already have. UEFA, I mean.

UEFA previously led by backhander taker in chief Platini, the games corrupt and full of Blatters/Platini's on the take, part of our country is under water with 1000's of people in real distress, steelwork plants are closing, people planning terror attacks on our country/foodbanks/ last ever working pit closed/, any of that stuff important? naw, but just dare to sing a song and the media races into overdrive demanding meetings/hearings/investigations etc.

Is this where we are at when the real proper issues in the country are a sideshow and football fans chanting is top of their to do list, get a life ffs is what I would recommend.

Would rather sing the original.

Lets be honest with ourselfs, the club ain't going to come out and back us up over it, It would cause a worldwide drama. Fines, sponsorships cancelled etc. Best we can do is release a statement, avoid a fine or ban. It doesn't mean the board/owners won't be siting with a little smile on there face, choking to join in while 50,000 have the stadium rocking.

It shouldn't even come down to this, the amount of greeting faced bastards that get 'offended' by a song need to have a good hard look at themselves. You would think half of these people were brought up wrapped in cotton wool.

What wpuld be wrong in the club coming out and stating, that there ts no place for sectarian, political or racist singing and specifically stating that TBB, being the song in question, can be sung as long as the offending word is removed. Also demanding that there is a level playing field accross the Scottish game in all this.

I can see a place for a carefully scribed well balanced statement that sends the right message to the SFA/SPFL, that we will not be fucked with and will no longer remain to be the whipping boys in all this. It wouldn't be hard and be the right thing to do. The club are more than happy to take our money, well time they started fucking earning it and defend those, along with the honour and heritage of the club, that they are only but stewards of, as we are the people who only but keep it alive!

That would take a board that had a pair, but unfortunitely, we haven't had that luxury in a long time.

UEFA previously led by backhander taker in chief Platini, the games corrupt and full of Blatters/Platini's on the take, part of our country is under water with 1000's of people in real distress, steelwork plants are closing, people planning terror attacks on our country/foodbanks/ last ever working pit closed/, any of that stuff important? naw, but just dare to sing a song and the media races into overdrive demanding meetings/hearings/investigations etc.

Is this where we are at when the real proper issues in the country are a sideshow and football fans chanting is top of their to do list, get a life ffs is what I would recommend.

Exactly!

We can now see why UEFA had cause for their many needless and deflective policies and rulings as they cover up their widespread corruption.

The time to strike in the cause for justice is now and put these hypocritical corrupt bastards in their place.

Our very own asspciation are corrupt spineless bastards and are as weak as piss and no doubt wetting their pampers if any of the underhand dealings come to light in our court case.

So our board to grow a pair and go for for these cunts now. No more appeasement and the demonisation of our club and our fans stops now!

What wpuld be wrong in the club coming out and stating, that there ts no place for sectarian, political or racist singing and specifically stating that TBB, being the song in question, can be sung as long as the offending word is removed. Also demanding that there is a level playing field accross the Scottish game in all this.

I can see a place for a carefully scribed well balanced statement that sends the right message to the SFA/SPFL, that we will not be fucked with and will no longer remain to be the whipping boys in all this. It wouldn't be hard and be the right thing to do. The club are more than happy to take our money, well time they started fucking earning it and defend those, along with the honour and heritage of the club, that they are only but stewards of, as we are the people who only but keep it alive!

That would take a board that had a pair, but unfortunitely, we haven't had that luxury in a long time.

Good shout. There's a number of ways around this.

what is the offending word?? I don't remember catholic being mentioned..

The song is not sectarian it's offensive .

Focuses words not mine

Yeah, I've said as much countless times and I agree with you. (tu)

I think we need some backing from the board here, the song is banned with the word as it stands, despite it not meaning ''catholic'' but that's the way it's interpreted, rightly or wrongly.

''Officially'' remove the line, change it to ''filth and blood'' or ''fuc#ing blood'' backing from the board who should state the song is no longer sectarian or bigoted or offensive, free reign to sing it as and when we please.

If there was some kind of plan to sing other words to TBB on Monday (EBTs or whatever), it has backfired on us in a big way.

How is that?

This song has no sectarian words in it, Fenian does not and has never meant Catholic and never has.

As for supporting a razor gang? Give us all fucking peace, so it's now an offensive song as it is clearly not sectarian.

A bit like the breach of the peace law, they make it up as they go along.

Time to put this out to a vote to the season ticket holders, something David Murray never did

Sing it loud and proud, as for being anti Catholic? That's a non starter in court

I think we need some backing from the board here, the song is banned with the word as it stands, despite it not meaning ''catholic'' but that's the way it's interpreted, rightly or wrongly.

''Officially'' remove the line, change it to ''filth and blood'' or ''fuc#ing blood'' backing from the board who should state the song is no longer sectarian or bigoted or offensive, free reign to sing it as we please.

No Rangers board will ever back it.

''Officially'' remove the line, change it to ''filth and blood'' or ''fuc#ing blood'' backing from the board who should state the song is no longer sectarian or bigoted or offensive, free reign to sing it as we please.

Change it to Nationalist scum.

But agree with your post, the board need to clear this up and fight our corner on this

No Rangers board will ever back it.

Not as it is, because it's been deemed illegal.

remove the word and change it with something similar. No longer an issue surely. The board actually have to condemn it and state it's not appropriate, are open to the change for the good of Scottish football blah blah blah

Change it with filth and blood or whatever, EBT's, big fucking trophies, whatever, but it needs to come back in a cleaner form IMO, it galvanises the support

Not as it is, because it's been deemed illegal.

remove the word and change it with something similar. No longer an issue surely. The board actually have to condemn it and state it's not appropriate, are open to the change for the good of Scottish football blah blah blah

Change it with filth and blood or whatever, EBT's, big fucking trophies, whatever, but it needs to come back in a cleaner form IMO, it galvanises the support

They'll never sanction a song about being knee deep in anyone's blood etc.

I don't know why anyone finds this so hard to understand

You'll be replacing boards every year then.

No board will touch it with a bargepole

The board are paid to do a job, this is part of that job.

They don't have the fight for it? Then we need someone who will.

It is not a sectarian song yet we can't sing it.

All done by our enemy's, now if that's not a fight worth fighting what is?

Fans need to get clued up on the law, this song is not sectarian by law yet that's what the media is saying, making it up as they go along.

They'll never sanction a song about being knee deep in anyone's blood etc.

I don't know why anyone finds this so hard to understand

''Up to our knees in filth and blood'' doesn't specify anything and is far less offensive than most songs I've heard at football grounds. It's also eerily similar to the previous word when belted out by 50 thousand Bears

But I agree, unless it's done right they will be handing in their own resignations and the press will batter them, providing it's done right, with the best intentions to move on, it shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

There's no middle ground, it was taken and deemed offensive without a challenge, completely unjust IMO. We sort out any ambiguity and clear up our stance - A similar statement that - ''the song is no longer x,y or z. For the good of Scottish football, there is no place for any form of prejudice and we have acted to prevent this by officially changing the offending line. ''

The board are paid to do a job, this is part of that job.

They don't have the fight for it? Then we need someone who will.

It is not a sectarian song yet we can't sing it.

All done by our enemy's, now if that's not a fight worth fighting what is?

Fans need to get clued up on the law, this song is not sectarian by law yet that's what the media is saying, making it up as they go along.

They'll not do it

How about we're up to our knees in PC cunts as it these killjoys who are causing the problem.

As a Rangers fan of many years it was great to hear it sung so loudly and proudly. It has always been our main match day song to get the team going or celebrate.

As has been said, as other teams can sing their songs this is yet another attack on us.

This is exactly the point.

You can have a view on how harmful songs are in a society, but you can't then pick and choose which elements of society you're allowed to offend and who's blood you can wade in.

It's totally bizarre. Hibs fans are now creating a dossier based on being offended by the singing of 'Fenian' whatever. Most Hibs fans are probably not Fenians. Yet no dossier of offendedness when Hearts fans sing about Hibee blood. All Hibs fans are Hibees, so why no offence there?

I mean, what is the difference between Fenian blood and Arab blood, Hibee blood or Ayr blood? It's like people have been brainwashed into thinking that religious offence is worse than all other offence (and also brainwashed into thinking Fenian is a religious term). That and a kind of encouraged sense that it's more important to be offended by whatever Rangers fans do.

Most of these fans are hypocrites too. Hibs fans sing 'offensive' songs too. All fans sing potentially offensive songs but people are only ever offended by Rangers fans.

Think the best comparison is with Arab blood. Sure we all know that they are referring to Dundee United fans but if I was of Arabian descent I could act all mock offended and probably get the song banned.

They seem to think they can decide what words mean and can changing the meaning of certain words to suit their agenda

If there was some kind of plan to sing other words to TBB on Monday (EBTs or whatever), it has backfired on us in a big way.

No really backfired though has it. All that has happened is tims in the media moaning like fuck which in all honesty is pretty funny. SFA can't punish us without changing their rules