New Years Games Against The Soapdodgers...

Bomber hurdling the advertising boards at the piggery.

Will stay with me forever.

My first old firm game.

My Dad got wired into driving the minibus in as the normal driver couldn't make it, my Dad knows the way to the shithole but what he was forgetting was that that was the way the celt*c fans approach the ground :lol:

Driving up London Road full of soap dodging bastards and we're all sitting scarfed up with Rangers tops on, tbf the worst that happened was them banging the side of the bus and shouting abuse.

Right next to the jungle and can mind them playing "Always look on the bright side of life" when Mowbray equalised, cue us returning the favour when Hateley put us 2-1 up, absolutely loved it, can mind being spat on as I was so close to their fans but it's all part and parcel of the day tbh. Went absolutely nuts when Bomber put the third away.

"Happy New Year, Happy New Year! Hello Hello!"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first was 1987. Remember the weather wasn't great. Sourness ripped the pish and Robbo smashed one of them in a tackle. A few weeks before we had queued for about 5 hours along the outside of the Govan stand to get tickets it was horrendous but worth it all in the end.

My first was 1987. Remember the weather wasn't great. Sourness ripped the pish and Robbo smashed one of them in a tackle. A few weeks before we had queued for about 5 hours along the outside of the Govan stand to get tickets it was horrendous but worth it all in the end.

McClair was the player who Robbo went into a tackle with just over the halfway line and the ball ended up out for a goal kick , McClair jumped out the road and looked like he had been shot.

:lol: The wee ball boy after Butchers equalizer, fist pump to the taigs.

On yerself wee man

Posted that before I watched the rest of it, wee man does it for all three goals in that half.

Wee ball boy would be about my age now,maybe just older (35)

I'd buy that lad a pint,funny as fuck and pretty bold aswell!!

Wee ball boy would be about my age now,maybe just older (35)

I'd buy that lad a pint,funny as fuck and pretty bold aswell!!

Thought that myself mate, awrite giving it tight to one or two guys but a full stand takes some balls.

And I kinda forgot I was watching a game from years ago, that "wee man" would be older than me now :lol:

interesting stat

before we started 9iar, we lost the new year old firm game 2-0, tarriers won the league in 88

the following 9 new year old firm games we didnt lose a single new years old firm game, we won the league every season (unsure if we won every new year game, im getting old now)

the 10 iar season we lost in the new years game at the piggery, we lost the league obviously

Just been to one game in 2011. We got beat 2-0, Samaras scored.

You beat me to that one, was a big season for us. Im sure we also had a goal disallowed that day as well.

Yeah can't mind the circumstances surrounding this match as I was only a boy, but I was aware that it was huge. Standing at the bottom of the old Gers end watching it unfold was incredible.

Yeah can't mind the circumstances surrounding this match as I was only a boy, but I was aware that it was huge. Standing at the bottom of the old Gers end watching it unfold was incredible.

Just a young pup myself at the time so might not be completely right , but it was important because we hadn't won the league for 10 years or so and we'd made an impressive start , winning most our games including one at the piggery.

Iirc , we had just lost to Airdrie ( 4-3 ? ) which had brought c....c back into it with a good run of form ,so this was a big game for us ( remembering we only played each team twice back then ). We won , quite comfortably , and , again iirc , they fell away after that , and we eased to the title , winning it at Easter Rd with a few games to spare.

Remember the 2-0 1st jan 87, hudnae been tae bed fi the 30th, got back tae the hoose aboot 11am oan the 1st, ma cuz popped in oan the way tae the pub for the bus tae the game, ah gave him ma ticket, an told him tae gie it tae somebody in the pub as ah was to fucked tae go. Remember, this was in the days before mobile phones. Anyway, the pubs aboot 5 mins fi ma hoose, away he went, ma ticket in his pocket.

An ah beat him tae the pub. ??.

The rest is history.

Fleck-McCoist, Souness masterclass, Magic.

Remember the 2-0 1st jan 87, hudnae been tae bed fi the 30th, got back tae the hoose aboot 11am oan the 1st, ma cuz popped in oan the way tae the pub for the bus tae the game, ah gave him ma ticket, an told him tae gie it tae somebody in the pub as ah was to fucked tae go. Remember, this was in the days before mobile phones. Anyway, the pubs aboot 5 mins fi ma hoose, away he went, ma ticket in his pocket.

An ah beat him tae the pub. .

The rest is history.

Hahaha your Glaswegian slang

Bomber hurdling the advertising boards at the piggery.

Will stay with me forever.

That one for sure.

Nearly missed that game through a beast of hangover causing me to miss the supporters bus. A good Bear taxi driver came to my rescue though.

An ah beat him tae the pub. .

The rest is history.

Souness ripping the piss out of Aitken in that game - that's a clip I never get sick of seeing.

Any memories?

Sadly at this time of year I always remember the disaster, I'm sure we all do, RIP all.

Any of these games live in your memory?

The Ibrox Disaster game will live with me forever. Not that I had personal family or friends killed in it, but it was my first old firm game.

We were living in Edinburgh, at that time, and had travelled through by train.

After the final whistle we, my big bro, his bird, and me, decided to walk to Queen Street.

While walking up Paisley Road West we noticed a lot of ambulances, with their sirens blaring, heading towards Ibrox. We thought that something had kicked off between us and them.

We missed the train we were going for, but got on another one 45 mins later.

When we got home, about an hour or so, later than we were expected, my mother burst into tears, grabbed me, hugged me, and then told us what they had heard on TV and radio.

I wasn't allowed to go to another old firm game for a couple of seasons, but still managed to go as my mother had a Saturday job, so never knew where I was.