We Will Never Forget.

tannerall

At this time of year when our thoughts return to, and focus, on respect to those who were killed and the 100s who were injured during the sad events of 2nd January 1971, I always like to ask fellow Bears, indeed the bigger community, to also remember the many others who were, and still are. directly affected.

Those at the game, the ones who witnessed the tragedy, those who waited at home praying their loved ones and others would return, the people of all backgrounds who helped in the immediate aftermath, the ambulacemen, doctors and nurses, police and other services, members of Rangers football club and supporters who helped and tended the injured, and members of Celtic football club and supporters who helped and tended the injured.

And especially the friends and families of those who died, and who lived on with sorrow.

All those people who kept, and those who continue to keep, a very special memory in their hearts of those gone.

A memory which we will keep, protect and reflect on with great sorrow as well.

Respect to all.

We Will Never Forget.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ibrox-disaster.jpg

Always look forward to a new year rolling round for obvious reasons,but when the 2nd comes along it's always a sobering experience in a way.

Don't know how many times I've watched the documentary about it,and that poor old woman who was waiting all night to see if her son Peter would come home,but he never.

Fucking heartbreaking,to absent friends who will never be forgotten.

Always look forward to a new year rolling round for obvious reasons,but when the 2nd comes along it's always a sobering experience in a way.

Don't know how many times I've watched the documentary about it,and that poor old woman who was waiting all night to see if her son Peter would come home,but he never.

Fucking heartbreaking,to absent friends who will never be forgotten.

I cried at that point of that programme, not something I normally do.

I was too young then, not allowed at Old Firm games, my Dad and Uncle usually took the stairway to get to the subway, then over for a pint in Partick, but had to leave through the lower exit on other side down to the PRW and never knew till they got to a pub there.

At home we listened to the radio and tv reports. No mobiles then, and were relieved when they got back home a few hours later.

I went to a game shortly after with my dad and the stairway was surrounded by wooden boarding.

There was one wee wreath on one of the boards on its own, from East Fife FC. That still brings a tear to my eye too.

I cried at that point of that programme, not something I normally do.

I was too young then, not allowed at Old Firm games, my Dad and Uncle usually took the stairway to get to the subway, then over for a pint in Partick, but had to leave through the lower exit on other side down to the PRW and never knew till they got to a pub there.

At home we listened to the radio and tv reports. No mobiles then, and were relieved when they got back home a few hours later.

I went to a game shortly after with my dad and the stairway was surrounded by wooden boarding.

There was one wee wreath on one of the boards on its own, from East Fife FC. That still brings a tear to my eye too.

I end up in tears everytime I watch it.

Particularly when he was begging his mum and dad to let him go to the game,and then how his dad had to go into the dressing rooms to identify him.

I don't have any weans of my own yet,I have no idea how a parent could live through that.

I end up in tears everytime I watch it.

Particularly when he was begging his mum and dad to let him go to the game,and then how his dad had to go into the dressing rooms to identify him.

I don't have any weans of my own yet,I have no idea how a parent could live through that.

Almost impossible, They quite simply keep on going, holding on to the memory, hopefully finding some solace and comfort, and hopefully with the understanding they are in our thoughts too. They also stand among the real heroes.

That is the main reason I post this thread, to give them the incredible respect they deserve.

Aye. God bless them all. There's always a story somewhere. As a 19 year old I had my ticket as usual. Went the pub, and for some reason, decided not to go. I went instead to a party in Bellshill at my girlfriends house. Gave my ticket away. On the way to the bus stop a mate shouted and asked where I was going. When I told him he shouted some abuse at me and laughed. He had his usual attire for match day. Red white and blue tammy, denim jacket and huge Union Jack over his shoulders.

Went the the party and I had heard the score was 1-1. Never thought anymore of it, until there was a banging on the door aroun 9 o'clock that night. Opened the door and my da was there. The look on his face I'll never forget to this day. He then got angry, saying "where the fuck have you been? Loads of people have been killed at the game". He told me later he didn't know whether to banjo me or hug me. They had been phoning hospitals and trying to find out where I was.

He knew I always used stairway 13. Sadly my Union Jack clad mate didn't make it.

I was then frantic with worry until I found that the guy I gave my ticket to was ok. Our supporters club lost two that day.

I still shiver wondering why I didn't go that day. Each year it gets to me.

A sad sad day in our history. Always remember them.

RIP