New League Cup Format

BEE

We'll be in a group of 5 and we'll play the other four teams once. 3 points for a win, one for a draw and a bonus point for the winners of the penalty shoot-out after a draw. 8 group winners and the 4 best runners up qualify. Pretty sure it's regionalised.

Only the teams that play European football get a bye to the knockout rounds after.

We'll be in a group of 5 and we'll play the other four teams once. 3 points for a win, one for a draw and a bonus point for the winners of the penalty shoot-out after a draw. 8 group winners and the 4 best runners up qualify. Pretty sure it's regionalised.

Only the teams that play European football get a bye to the knockout rounds after.

When are the games played?

You'd think the first stop would be Google...plenty of explanations of the format out there.

I used google but all explenations were convuluted - wanted it explained in laymand terms.

Seriously? :lol: what the fuck is the point in even changing it?

Seriously? :lol: what the fuck is the point in even changing it?

Its mainly for the majority of clubs, doesn't effect the bigger clubs, its to generate more local-ish derbies in the Summer months as the interest in Friendlies has fallen off a cliff, its a dip of the toe into Summer Football.

I actually like it, we already have a stand alone knock out Cup, the League Cup should be different

Load of shite tbh I'd play the reserves in it the same way top English clubs treat their league cup,give our fringe players some games there's no cash to be made out of it and no Euro spot so why bother with it,seems like having to play an awful lot of games now for a meaningless cup

You'd think the first stop would be Google...plenty of explanations of the format out there.

I hate this answer. WTF is wrong with someone coming on and asking fellow Rangers supporters for an explanation?

Its mainly for the majority of clubs, doesn't effect the bigger clubs, its to generate more local-ish derbies in the Summer months as the interest in Friendlies has fallen off a cliff, its a dip of the toe into Summer Football.

I actually like it, we already have a stand alone knock out Cup, the League Cup should be different

If we don't win the SC I'd rather we had a pre season tour of England, Holland or Germany and had a few games against better teams rather than playing shite like Morton, St Mirren etc.

Load of shite tbh I'd play the reserves in it the same way top English clubs treat their league cup,give our fringe players some games there's no cash to be made out of it and no Euro spot so why bother with it,seems like having to play an awful lot of games now for a meaningless cup

Agreed. I don't think Warbs is a fan either as it disrupts his usual pre-season plan. I remember he said he prefers a build up to peak with a top BPL team at Ibrox rather than playing lower league Scottish teams in a daft wee league. I hope we play the boys and if we go far maybe play some regulars.

The other strange thing is all the talk about summer football and to bring our Euro representatives up to speed by playing competitive games earlier etc. - they aren't involved?

The so called winter break is a fortnight? We need to get people on the spfl board as at the moment, we are dancing to their tune which doesn't necessarily suit us.

Agreed. I don't think Warbs is a fan either as it disrupts his usual pre-season plan. I remember he said he prefers a build up to peak with a top BPL team at Ibrox rather than playing lower league Scottish teams in a daft wee league. I hope we play the boys and if we go far maybe play some regulars.

The other strange thing is all the talk about summer football and to bring our Euro representatives up to speed by playing competitive games earlier etc. - they aren't involved?

The so called winter break is a fortnight? We need to get people on the spfl board as at the moment, we are dancing to their tune which doesn't necessarily suit us.

It's a joke format we'll learn much more about where our side is at from playing pre season friendlies against decent opposition not to mention a lot more cash than playing against the likes of Clyde in some two bob cup,development team should play the group stage not sure if that's breaching rules tho

Couldn't agree more mate. Again we are being used to sell a crappy product that benefits everyone else more than it does us.

There is nothing crappy about a Cup, if we are chasing a treble then tell us how crappy it is then?? The Challenge Cup, now that is a real load of crap but it doesn't stop 50 000 rolling up to Hampden in April. I actually think it is a decent idea for the clubs it is aimed for, in the long term it won't affect us really. Also, recent friendlies at Ibrox have been pretty dull and poorly attended anyway. Much rather be playing competitive games.

There is nothing crappy about a Cup, if we are chasing a treble then tell us how crappy it is then?? The Challenge Cup, now that is a real load of crap but it doesn't stop 50 000 rolling up to Hampden in April. I actually think it is a decent idea for the clubs it is aimed for, in the long term it won't affect us really. Also, recent friendlies at Ibrox have been pretty dull and poorly attended anyway. Much rather be playing competitive games.

The cup is better off just being scraped imo, the fixtures at Ibrox against your Morton's and Clyde's etc. will be poorly attended as well.

I take your point that in the future the group stage won't involve us, but it will definitely dictate our preseason schedule this season and probably next. Personally I don't want the second cup to get in the way of what is a hugely Important League campaign for us.