Scottish Players Too Weak.

GMac

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not a "hes too wee" argument. Its the argument that English players look after themselves 10 times more than Scottish players. Their conditioning and athleticism is on another scale. Look at John Stones and John Soutar. The difference in physique is ridiculous. Even foderingham and bell. Foderingham looks in 10x better shape than Bell.

It really is the culture up here. As someone said when I was growing up playing footy at 5s or whatever your like that how did he no make it? Rather drink buckie every weekend.

Technique first and foremost surely. It's not too difficult with a good diet and gym work to bulk players up.

Looking at the EPL there is some really average players who are simply athletes. Scottish football doesn't need that IMO.

Look at the likes of Holt, McKay and Zelalem, they aren't 'built' and play near enough every week. So while athleticism is a factor MW doesn't see it as the be all.

Its not a "hes too wee" argument. Its the argument that English players look after themselves 10 times more than Scottish players. Their conditioning and athleticism is on another scale. Look at John Stones and John Soutar. The difference in physique is ridiculous. Even foderingham and bell. Foderingham looks in 10x better shape than Bell.

It really is the culture up here. As someone said when I was growing up playing footy at 5s or whatever your like that how did he no make it? Rather drink buckie every weekend.

Aye, but Bell's got great tits.

We are way behind as a country but I would say England have a lot of catching up too do with Europe , look at the injuries Liverpool are picking up because of the extra work klopp has them doing

heard an interview with him in the week where he said they weren't doing extra work - games are coming too thick & fast for that.

I think the reason for all these injuries is that, fit as they may be, they aren't in good enough condition to play the high tempo pressing game he demands.

Couldn't agree more and it's down to attitude, diet and genetics.

Scotland and the West of Scotland in particular has a terrible problem with lifestyle choices. Seen many a great player not make it as they didny have the commitment and desire, they'd rather be out getting mwi on the bevvy and scranning chippys.

Sad but true.

heard an interview with him in the week where he said they weren't doing extra work - games are coming too thick & fast for that.

I think the reason for all these injuries is that, fit as they may be, they aren't in good enough condition to play the high tempo pressing game he demands.

yeah I don't mean working them too much in training but too play his high press which you see a lot of European teams play they aren't fit enough and I doubt any of the English teams are

yeah I don't mean working them too much in training but too play his high press which you see a lot of European teams play they aren't fit enough and I doubt any of the English teams are

Got you (tu).

May behind our recent dip - some guys not used to playing 20-odd games in a row full stop, far less at the levels being asked of them.

Got you (tu).

May behind our recent dip - some guys not used to playing 20-odd games in a row full stop, far less at the levels being asked of them.

That's actually a really interesting point, especially regarding some of the lads who have spent a lot of time zipping around on loans.

An interesting example is Andy Halliday. If you look at him at Livi (not sure how to upload pics), hes stick thin I know hes younger there but I'd bet my mortgage if he stayed at Livi he would still look like that. He went down England and came back up looking a lot fitter and stronger.

think the scotish first team regs at Ibrox are well built now

Halliday, Wallace, and now Mackay and Law seem well defined. could be the new training and professionsalism now in place?

odowa and Zel are lightweights and they came from down south though.

I understand the sentiment but I thought we were getting away from this ' we need big men' mentality. Besides, Jason Holt seems to be doing ok.

dont think we are talking about height it is the it is the build and strenght you only need to look at the english leagues to see that

last year inverness c.t. finished 3rd and won the cup thay were full of big strong players from non league or lower leagues in england