Our Finishing

GOAT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardie is a natural goalscorer and our tallest striker, a useful option we don't have/use currently. MW constantly sings his praises, both on ability and mentality, and we've given him a new contract. He should be getting more game time IMO.

I disagree. Haven't seen much from Hardie to indicate that he would play better than Miller at the moment. Miller isn't the best and we will 100% need someone better than him next season but at the moment he is the best option unless we play Waghorn down the middle like the start of the season.

Also thought Miller was good today. Set up Wallace's goal with a nice pass and got involved all over the place.

Thought miller was better than normal, but fairly average. Couple of valuable contributions. But also too often sloppy play. Really just don't see what he brings. And I know he's experience out there but the younger ones are outshining him by country miles.

But suppose it's all about opinions. And MWs is the one that counts.

Hardie is a natural goalscorer and our tallest striker, a useful option we don't have/use currently. MW constantly sings his praises, both on ability and mentality, and we've given him a new contract. He should be getting more game time IMO.

I believe Hardie may fall into the ' too weak' category the manager spoke about..

Does Waghorn not have 25 in 28 games?

Don't think he's disputing the stats mate, like him though I'm more concerned about tight games when you don't get many chances, that is when we need a clinical finisher and though I've loved Waggys contribution this season I don't think anyone believes he's a clinical finisher, and with the chances he's been provided with this season I would really expect any of our strikers to have around the same numbers.

Miller is the weak link in the side.

Rangers could quite easily have had double figures today with a player that can control, play simple passes and finish easy chances.

I posted earlier today that we could do worse than El Bakhtaoui from Dunfermline

Miller has had an incredible career - past tense.

I would love to see the analysts report or video on Miller's performance today because some of his play was woeful and that is an understatement.

5-1 today and a good performance but it could have been so much more.

I have not forgotten he scored a hattrick last week.

Not the way he constantly praises him imo, but maybe.

However McKay, Zelalem, Holt are hardly weightlifters and they play near enough every week.

Aye,true.

Only difference i'd say is that as a number 9 you play with your back to goal more and need strength to hold off defenders..

Tbh it makes sense to me. If we're scoring this many goals with only one goalscoring striker (the rest do chip in but Waggy is miles ahead), imagine how many goals we'd score with another center forward up there. Waghorn is more than capable of scoring goals from the right. Fraser Fyvie can vouch for that.

If we get the boy from Brentford I'd also look for a center half first and foremost, and if possible a striker.

I must admit, I've also thought we seem to be struggling with our finishing a bit but I've just gone all geeky and crunched some numbers.

Our conversion rate for 2015/16 is 17.43% (1 goal in every 5.7 attempts)

For comparison: Our conversion rate for 2014/15 was 13.62% (1 in 7.3)

Hibs conversion rate for 2015/16 is 13.94% (1 in 7.2)

Beasts conversion rate for 2015/16 is 13.38% (1 in 7.5)

For the beasts, I have only counted domestic games.

For a wider comparison, Man Utd had the best conversion rate in the EPL between 2009 and 2015 and that was also between 13% and 14%.

In other words, I don't think we will face any problems domestically if we maintain our current rate. I just think we aren't used to seeing Rangers dominate games this much.

I must admit, I've also thought we seem to be struggling with our finishing a bit but I've just gone all geeky and crunched some numbers.

Our conversion rate for 2015/16 is 17.43% (1 goal in every 5.7 attempts)

For comparison: Our conversion rate for 2014/15 was 13.62% (1 in 7.3)

Hibs conversion rate for 2015/16 is 13.94% (1 in 7.2)

Beasts conversion rate for 2015/16 is 13.38% (1 in 7.5)

For the beasts, I have only counted domestic games.

For a wider comparison, Man Utd had the best conversion rate in the EPL between 2009 and 2015 and that was also between 13% and 14%.

In other words, I don't think we will face any problems domestically if we maintain our current rate. I just think we aren't used to seeing Rangers dominate games this much.

I think its more about the clear cut chances we're missing rather than overall, the ones that really should be going in the net. The better the opposition the fewer clear cut chances you get.

Miller is the weak link in the side.

Rangers could quite easily have had double figures today with a player that can control, play simple passes and finish easy chances.

I posted earlier today that we could do worse than El Bakhtaoui from Dunfermline

Miller has had an incredible career - past tense.

I would love to see the analysts report or video on Miller's performance today because some of his play was woeful and that is an understatement.

5-1 today and a good performance but it could have been so much more.

I have not forgotten he scored a hattrick last week.

A bit harsh imo. Miller didn't have a great game today but it wasn't a shocker. His finishing was pretty poor, as we all know it can be, but his off the ball stuff and dragging defenders apart was pretty good. Think this will be his last season starting though it is quite clear that the brain is still as sharp and quick as every but the message is 1 or seconds slower getting to the legs these day.

I reckon when he gets a bit more match fit, Forrester will replace Miller in the front 3. Hopefully by the game against Falkirk at the end of the month.

McCoist wasn't exactly Mr Universe

No, but he was playing under a different system where we had two forwards playing off each other, a system which has served us well over the years since, in my time, Miller & Brand. We are now playing a different system and we older Bears may take a bit longer to get used to it. For example, Tav has scored 7 (I think) this season; I don't think Bobby Shearer scored 7 in his career but I still rate BS as the better RB.

I do wonder if it's been that long since we have watched a team that creates so many chances that we have forgot that the law of averages says we won't score them all.

I include myself in that, as I came away from today again having criticised the finishing I ask myself what I would have viewed as an acceptable amount of goals scored? 9? 10? - it's not really realistic, or is it?.....I am convinced somebody is going to take a doing like that.

I do wonder if it's been that long since we have watched a team that creates so many chances that we have forgot that the law of averages says we won't score them all.

Spot on there. When you score 5 and people complain about not taking our chances it's a bit silly.

Today's goal ratio was 1 goal in every 6 shots. Not bad really but could improve. A fair amount of shots come from outside the box. I think that you wouldn't want to try and make it like 1 goal every 2 shots but risk start overplaying the ball and risk becoming sterile in attack...

I'm not sure how this ratio compares to teams like Bayern who play similar and dominate their matches like us but it's probably not far off...

Like Warburton said 'We're in good shape. We're happy.'

No, but he was playing under a different system where we had two forwards playing off each other, a system which has served us well over the years since, in my time, Miller & Brand. We are now playing a different system and we older Bears may take a bit longer to get used to it. For example, Tav has scored 7 (I think) this season; I don't think Bobby Shearer scored 7 in his career but I still rate BS as the better RB.

Tavs on 11, our next top scorer behind waggy. He's also sitting on top with assists at 14, 3 ahead of Baz

I think Hardie needs to go out on loan to have a chance at us as he's not going to get any game time before Miller or Waghorn even Clarks been used before him.

A wee loan spell were he could play every week would help bring him on.