'glasgow' Rangers

Briton

Why do so many Bears insist on referring to the club as Glasgow Rangers? I see there's another thread that is incorrectly titled (although it doesn't refer to London Chelsea). I know it's a useful add-on for the songs but the founders chose the name Rangers, not Glasgow Rangers. I noticed even the chairman added Glasgow at the Loving Cup ceremony.

I understand many in the south don't realise our correct name. I wish I've had a pound for every time I've had the conservation: "who do you support?"..."Rangers"..." Glasgow Rangers?"..." no, The Rangers".

Not a biggie I guess but you'd have thought Bears would want to get the club's title right.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many Bears insist on referring to the club as Glasgow Rangers? I see there's another thread that is incorrectly titled (although it doesn't refer to London Chelsea). I know it's a useful add-on for the songs but the founders chose the name Rangers, not Glasgow Rangers. I noticed even the chairman added Glasgow at the Loving Cup ceremony.

I understand many in the south don't realise our correct name. I wish I've had a pound for every time I've had the conservation: "who do you support?"..."Rangers"..." Glasgow Rangers?"..." no, The Rangers".

Not a biggie I guess but you'd have thought Bears would want to get the club's title right.

i know we've always been The Rangers Football Club. Why don't the club refer to us as that rather than Rangers?

Just curious

Pisses me off aswell. It's ok for some songs, but hearing SKY news refer to us as Glasgow Rangers, boils my piss.

Well they at least have the excuse of ignorance. Not so Bears and officials of the club.

We need no place name in front of our name as we are the first and original Rangers Football Club, pale imitations need place names or some such in front of the word Rangers, Berwick and Queens Park, .come to mind

We need no place name in front of our name as we are the first and original Rangers Football Club, pale imitations need place names or some such in front of the word Rangers, Berwick and Queens Park, .come to mind

Exactly.

It comes from the song "the famous Glasgow Rangers". You know the one, all together now "as I was walking down the Copland road........." When people use the word Glasgow they are doffing a cap to the song. That's my take anyhoo.

It's already been mentioned that Glasgow is a needed add-on to some of the songs but that's no excuse for getting the name of the club wrong.

Queens Park Rangers is their name, Glasgow Rangers isn't ours.

I know this and I would prefer if Sky just called us Rangers. The viewing audience is mostly England. It seems to be since QPR got themselves up the leagues, they have became 'Rangers' to the Sky sports panels.

You know things are going well when this is all you have to moan about

Rubbish...I've got shit loads of other stuff I could 'moan about'. I just happen to think getting the name of the club right is important.

The oldco was called The Rangers Football Club Ltd the team was always just Rangers, well to me anyway.

I thought it was changed at some time from The Rangers Football Club to Rangers Football Club but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if we were ever 'The Rangers' as a team though.

I thought it was changed at some time from The Rangers Football Club to Rangers Football Club but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if we were ever 'The Rangers' as a team though.

When the club was incorporated in 1899 to a limited company that's when "The" appeared.

Certain thims I can't avoid in the pub when it's my round have taken to calling us "The" Rangers, a quiet reminder of their history shuts them up right enough.