Bidding For Players From Scottish Clubs

Ferris Bueller

Is this now a waste of time?

Seems to be any attempt turns into a saga, always get the impression the other clubs want to be as akward as possible as its big bad Rangers trying to take their players or lets hold them to ransom looking for daft money they would never get from English clubs bidding.

Think its a historical thing where in the past we would just fling silly money at these clubs for Scottish players but now we are trying to operate within our means we are accused of being disrespectful by making lower bids.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Historically, Scottish clubs typically try and inflate prices simply because its either us or cellic. The "value" that MW talks about in this scenario is then either lessened or disappears. Plus its a small pool with limited talent available.

We then have clubs who dont want to sell to us, and on top of that even have cellic buying players we want simply to stop us getting them and try and look big.

aye its a really attractive market to do your shopping in.

St Johnstone are a pretty well run, debt free club. Why should they sell on the cheap just because it's Rangers? The player is under contract. With Hibs surely you can see their POV? Not only would they be weakening themselves they would have been strengthening their biggest rivals. What message was that sending to their fans?

Contrary to our belief...it's not all about Rangers.

If young players see we now give them a pathway to the 1st team hopefully we'll be able to get the best schoolboys in the country so we won't need to buy them from other clubs .

Lets face it which young Scottish player would you buy at the min. I can think of one

That's the problem right there. These clubs have been leeching off us in the past when we've been throwing money at it. Now they still want they ridiculous prices knowing we hopefully won't throw the money at it. He's simply not worth what they want so hopefully we move on.

St Johnstone are a pretty well rub, debt free club. Why should they sell on the cheap just because it's Rangers? The player is under contract. With Hibs surely you can see their POV? Not only would they be weakening themselves they would have been strengthening their biggest rivals. What message was that sending to their fans?

Contrary to our belief...it's not all about Rangers.

Go wash your mouth out with soap and water, it's is all about Rangers.

I would bring through as many of our good youth squad players, plus bring in talented players that fit with the managers plans from other leagues.

There is no way I would pay for a player from another club in Scotland, keep the blue pound at Ibrox and bollocks to the wankers in Scottish football.

While I would prefer the team to contain a majority of Scots we have the whole of Europe and beyond to find talent so I don't see the point in getting into any drawn out sagas. There's already one poor chap stuck at porkheid who thought he would be playing for us do there's no point making it worse.

Lets not buy players in Scotland feck them, none of them are decent enough and will struggle at high level or just sell them to the east end bheast I think they still have 2 seats spare on their bench for the crop of scottish talent so the papers tell us.

This ^^^^^^^^^ I 100% agree with.

I'd prefer not to buy any players from any Scottish Club ever again.

I'd scour the lower leagues in England and do my business there, as we are at present.

Not one penny of Rangers Money should go their way in my opinion.

They have tried all they know to kill us off, and failed.

At the end of the day, they Hate us with a vengeance, so, not for me, ever.

As we build our scouting base of youngsters, as well as our reputation for developing them, hopefully the youth players will come to us more by running down their contracts. This means other clubs cannot block moves while demanding silly money. Soon the clubs will realise that only sellick will spend silly money which will limit the market. If the wee clubs can't play us off against them financially, the market will continue to be depressed. Eventually, the diddy clubs will start to accept lower bids for more established players, hoping to get anything. So it really is all about the Rangers.

This ^^^^^^^^^ I 100% agree with.

I'd prefer not to buy any players from any Scottish Club ever again.

I'd scour the lower leagues in England and do my business there, as we are at present.

Not one penny of Rangers Money should go their way in my opinion.

They have tried all they know to kill us off, and failed.

At the end of the day, they Hate us with a vengeance, so, not for me, ever.

What about the 65k for Jason Holt? Would you rather we didn't give that to Hearts?

I love how other Scottish Clubs bleat about the state of the game and its finances in Scotland and the absolute nick of it's national team yet they can't see that it's their own blind hatred which is causing it.

Who gives a shit about the like of Scumdee Hivs etc who all wanted us dead. Now they're beginning to understand the meaning of the word "Karma".

I'm more than happy with our management team and scouts raiding the English Divisions for good players on the cheap, developing them and maybe selling them on for a nice tidy sum.

It's win win for us. Who gives a shit about the rest? Because they never gave on ounce of a fuck about us.

there ain't much talent in Scotland and what there is will probably get offers for Championship football down south. I prefer the way we go about our business now, get them cheap, get entertaining football and eventually sell for a profit, we've needed this for decades.

Its all good puffing the chest out and saying "Fuck them, we can do better", well you do realise we wouldnt have had Kris Boyds record SPL goals and umpteen titles with the likes of him and Paysmith etc.

If the player is good enough and can do a turn then why should we look away and allow the tims or whoever else to get them just because we are bitter bastarts?

The logic on here is utterly bizarre.

Its all good puffing the chest out and saying "Fuck them, we can do better", well you do realise we wouldnt have had Kris Boyds record SPL goals and umpteen titles with the likes of him and Paysmith etc.

If the player is good enough and can do a turn then why should we look away and allow the tims or whoever else to get them just because we are bitter bastarts?

Aye but that was then, this is now, where the level of hatred for our club and its support from all quarters of scottish football has ramped up to levels previously unknown.

Aye but that was then, this is now where the level of hatred for our club and its support from all quarters of scottish football has ramped up to levels previously unknown.

So you would pass up on a player just because the clubs and fans hate us?

With that logic we should never have signed any player from Scotland period.

Surely signing their best player and turning them over with him in the team is a bigger GIRUY than that...if that's what you are after

Thankfully the club aren't as bitter or short sighted as some on here.

I agree with this.

However we need to be prepared to pay over the odds if we're buying in Scotland - looks like we are going to have to pay more for O'halloron than we did for Tav, Waghorn and Kiernan. We then have to ask if he's worth it? I'm not sure, jury is out for me. I'd rather we stuck that £200k on the bid for the lad from Brentford.

Mckay Steven, Ciftic, Armstrong and Allan are hardly setting the world alight.

Mckay Steven, Ciftic, Armstrong and Allan are hardly setting the world alight.

Did I say them?

I think I clearly mentioned Boyd and Paysmith so why you are brining up tim players I have no idea.

I said if they are good enough then why should we avoid them due to being bitter?