Tell The Big Policeman If You Get Frightened At The Football

BridgeIsBlue

Football fans should combat abuse by reporting "anything which makes them uncomfortable", a senior Police Scotland officer has said.

Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins said fans should report incidents to officers or stewards.

Mr Higgins told BBC Scotland bigotry was no more acceptable in a football ground than anywhere else.

And he warned that someone could be seriously injured, or even killed, by fans setting off flares at matches.

Speaking to BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme, Mr Higgins said: "This season so far, we've had 32 incidents of pyrotechnics or flares being thrown or discharged at matches. Some of the incidents it's been three, four, five, six flares that have been thrown.

"That's a real danger, someone is going to get hurt. We've had a couple of real near misses. But it is potentially really quite life threatening.

"It compromises the safety of the event."

Speaking about sectarian incidents, the senior officer said: "Somebody once talked about the 90-minute bigot, but there is no such thing."

"If you are sitting at a game and you're uncomfortable because of something you see or something you hear, the reality is people around you will probably be uncomfortable as well.

"That's unacceptable. What I would urge you to do is go and report it to the steward or go and report it to a police officer."

'Eroded trust'

Much of the abuse heard at football grounds is a potential breach of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act.

That legislation was introduced in 2012 in a bid to clamp down on sectarianism.

Earlier this week, the Scottish Parliament's public petitions committee heard calls for the law to be scrapped.

The Fans Against Criminalisation campaign group argued the legislation had eroded trust between supporters and police and had failed to tackle bigotry.

But Mr Higgins said a report of offensive behaviour need not lead to heavy-handed action.

He said: "We don't necessarily have to arrest everybody. We've got a whole range of options available.

"The stewards can go and warn an individual to calm down - as can my officers - right the way through the whole quantum of stewards deciding to eject the person and, as an ultimate sanction, my officers arresting them."

In the BBC interview, Mr Higgins said offensive behaviour was not just a problem for Celtic and Rangers.

"We've arrested people associated with 16 different clubs in Scotland," he said.

"So it's not exclusive to the Old Firm, it's not exclusive to the top flight. That's 16 clubs right the way through all divisions."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35317169

dawson-crying1.jpg

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

2914981-8886510164-OuFf2.gif

"Daddy that man called me a bad word" :(

In the year of our lord 2016 this is what it has come to :lol:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football fans should combat abuse by reporting "anything which makes them uncomfortable", a senior Police Scotland officer has said.

Well I would never have thought of reporting to the police that my Duke of Argylls were making me uncomfortable. Think they'll apply the ointment?? :)

If they want to sing songs glorifying the murder of children and British soldiers then let them,they're only showing themselves up for what they really are.

One word in our battlecry and we get slaughtered for it :lol:

I obviously don't like the filth that they come out with,but I've honestly never lost any sleep over it.

Is it just me or did everybody not grow up slagging fuck out your best pals etc over anything and everything,then you become older and suddenly turn into a petulant child over songs at a football game :lol:

Unbelievable,and for all the ghuests lurking this thread YOU started all this nonsense over the famine song,nearly the biggest pisstake in Scottish football and you run crying to the authorities over it.

Even Bruce Jenner has more balls than you lot.

Fuck sake man, the death of banter on the terraces. I'm not speaking about any song in particular by the way. This brings into question ANY songs/chants at the football - if one person gets morally offended it'll be jumped on.

Football in this country is fucked.

"If you are sitting at a game and you're uncomfortable because of something you see or something you hear, the reality is people around you will probably be uncomfortable as well.

"That's unacceptable. What I would urge you to do is go and report it to the steward or go and report it to a police officer."

That is the most pathetic thing I have ever read. These idiots should be ashamed of themselves. "Being uncomfortable" or annoyed about something never has been and never should be a criminal issue. And why is it only at football matches?

I am uncomfortable on Ryanair flights as they keep trying to sell me scratchcards, I want them arrested. Tarantino fills his scripts with the n-word and calls people lovers of mothers; who is protecting me when I go to the cinema? What about those twats who put sauce on a fish supper? That's seriously upsetting, both to my eyes and nose. Jail them.

What a fucking pathetic little country. Embarrassing.

Perhaps if the police and stewards did their jobs and searched people before they go through the turnstiles this wouldn't be an issue.

Indeed after the Paris incidents it is even more alarming.

I thought the point was we don't want a police state?

You're playing right into their hands there.

If they want to sing songs glorifying the murder of children and British soldiers then let them,they're only showing themselves up for what they really are.

One word in our battlecry and we get slaughtered for it :lol:

I obviously don't like the filth that they come out with,but I've honestly never lost any sleep over it.

Is it just me or did everybody not grow up slagging fuck out your best pals etc over anything and everything,then you become older and suddenly turn into a petulant child over songs at a football game :lol:

Unbelievable,and for all the ghuests lurking this thread YOU started all this nonsense over the famine song,nearly the biggest pisstake in Scottish football and you run crying to the authorities over it.

Even Bruce Jenner has more balls than you lot.

bang on that the scum started it and hell slap it into them. The law was written by bigots aimed at us but has backfired on them and if they weren't in the dock they wouldn't still be putting the boot into us.

Iv seen pathetic arseholes at Ibrox complain about sweary words and at that point I told them what I thought of them.

Plod is now a job for the intellectually challenged and the amount of taigs that have now joined only reinforce that.

Deflecting onto this pish helps them not to do any real work as rape crime, drug and human traficking and child sex abuse continue to rise at the hand of both the new and the old immigrant population.

Football will eventually die out completely the way this is going. For me what happens in 90 minutes (singing, abuse, standing) stays in 90 minutes. If you continue to sing "banned" (fucking pathetic anyway) songs outside then the police have reason to pick you up. Other than that this is a fucking travesty.

Seeing they junkie bastard spoon burning Hibs fans sitting in Ibrox makes me uncomfortable,can I report that officer?

Thinking about it,we could actually be clever with this at games :lol:

Rip the utter piss right out of them.

If a poor pass from Halliday makes you uncomfortable - can he be reported ?