Our Squad And Dk Investment

OzGers

Our recent signings of players from lower leagues, players with "potential" got me thinking about next season and our recruitment policy.

Whilst I'm all for buying cheap and hope to make a profit, it's reasonable to assume that building a squad on this basis will not win us the spfl nor make any debt in Europe.

Granted, it's good enough to challenge for 2nd in spfl but it won't be enough to win the title.

What are everyone's thoughts for next season? Do we expect for DK and warbs to splash and buy 3 or 4 quality additions? They can still be young but come from a higher pedigree?

Equally, do we expect rangers to search further afield for signings?

I look back to our 2008 Europa squad and it was full of internationals and I fear we a little far away from that type of quality

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Our recent signings of players from lower leagues, players with "potential" got me thinking about next season and our recruitment policy.

Whilst I'm all for buying cheap and hope to make a profit, it's reasonable to assume that building a squad on this basis will not win us the spfl nor make any debt in Europe.

Granted, it's good enough to challenge for 2nd in spfl but it won't be enough to win the title.

What are everyone's thoughts for next season? Do we expect for DK and warbs to splash and buy 3 or 4 quality additions? They can still be young but come from a higher pedigree?

Equally, do we expect rangers to search further afield for signings?

I look back to our 2008 Europa squad and it was full of internationals and I fear we a little far away from that type of quality

I don't understand why a lot of fans are obsessed with spending money on players. Put a bit of faith in the manager. He's doing a no bad job so far so trust him to make decisions on player recruitment.

There could be 2 players out there of identical ability in same position. 1 of them has had a cracking season playing in the championship down South. He's now valued at £3.5m and clubs are fighting for his signature.

The other player has lost his way a wee bit and is playing in League 1. His club are willing to let him go for £100k.

Would you rather pay £3.4m extra for a player of exact same ability or trust the manager to get the best out of the player who's lost his way and available for £100k?

If the player at £100k finds form at Rangers then in a couple of seasons time we could sell him on for £3.5m.

That's the way we have to do business in future. Spending big on players is not sustainable as we don't have the income for it.

I want to live within our means. I trust the manager given his current record and I'm willing to build over next few years without resorting to past ways.

The problem I have is that this wasn't the way King sold everyone.

But it's one of the few times I will be ok that he pulled the wool over the fans eyes. (tu)

I want to live within our means. I trust the manager given his current record and I'm willing to build over next few years without resorting to past ways.

The problem I have is that this wasn't the way King sold everyone.

But it's one of the few times I will be ok that he pulled the wool over the fans eyes. (tu)

Maybe just maybe it's MW who doesn't want to spend the cash, ever think of it that way? King may well have the dollars and be willing to spend it, but from everything I have seen from MW (and his record in the financial trade) he is not one to waste money..... I doubt King is not willing to put his hand in his pocket, but more like MW isn't asking him to!

Maybe just maybe it's MW who doesn't want to spend the cash, ever think of it that way? King may well have the dollars and be willing to spend it, but from everything I have seen from MW (and his record in the financial trade) he is not one to waste money..... I doubt King is not willing to put his hand in his pocket, but more like MW isn't asking him to!

While I agree MW is being careful, I don't agree on DK. (tu)

We need more investment than our current levels if we are to win our top flight title and reach the Champions League

I know a lot on here don't agree with it but I think realistically you can't do it with a team full of O'Hallaron's, Crooks, Holt's, Wilsons, Hallidays and forresters

Would be great, though

We need more investment to challenge the scum next year. Probably another four players in a centre back, midfielder, winger and striker. My issue isn't with playing and beating the tarriers it's more with beating the likes of Hearts and the sheep on a consistent basis home and away. That's where I fear we'll drop most of our points.

Maybe they don't value then at the same rate as the teams selling?

Warburton has said he won't pay if he doesn't think the players worth it. I don't think MOH is worth 500k

Yes seems to be the case.Perhaps for the first time in a long time we actually have a manager who has his finger on the pulse of player valuation.Unlike in the past where millions were spent beating teams put together for two bob.Perhaps a good manager doesn't have to spend millions upon millions to beat the mighty forces of ICT, Motherwell,Kilmarnock etc.Just a thought though.

How do you know Windass and Crooks aren't quality? Just cause of their age? Age is just a number in football now if you're good enough you're old enough.

I'd rather risk 60k on two guys than £3m on a "quality addition". If both turn out to be poor then ad rather loose 60k than £3m.

It amazes me that people base a players ability on how much we get them for.

Why are we struggling to cough up £1m for 2 players?

Probably because MOH's true value is around the £300,000 mark and going on the other lads performances in his last two games, his value is not £700,000. Warbs obviously thinks he can get him back to his best,but at the moment he is obviously not the same player who won POTY.

We need to spend on players to be where we want to be. If that is funded by selling players we have developed that is great and I'm sure Auchenhowie will produce players at some point in the future. At the moment that is a long way off and I can see us selling some of our our current top players that have come on a free for a couple of million in the next year or so.