Our Squad And Dk Investment

OzGers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon we're 5 players short 2 cb's,1 dm,one cm and a striker(keeping Waghorn wide right) I'd also like to see a fullback in the could preferably cover both flanks I'd like to see some proper investment in these positions as that's the spine of our team players with international or European experience who are proven at a higher level would be ideal and these players don't come cheap

I don't think we are too far away, although we will know better if we get a good cup run with a good couple of tests against an aberdeen or the scum,if players are found hiding or excel we can only wait and see, if we had this team against the tarriers last year we would have gave a better account of ourselves imo. Europe is a long way off, I would say you need at least 11 international players to make any significant impact.

Build it and they will come.

Next season will be a step up there's no doubt about it, and the top players (well internationals) will be attracted to playing at a high level. If it was me I would maybe bring in a couple of experienced pros in the summer and see how we go.

Yes seems to be the case.Perhaps for the first time in a long time we actually have a manager who has his finger on the pulse of player valuation.Unlike in the past where millions were spent beating teams put together for two bob.Perhaps a good manager doesn't have to spend millions upon millions to beat the mighty forces of ICT, Motherwell,Kilmarnock etc.Just a thought though.

Given that Warburton's most serious test this season seen us beat at home off st Johnstone, there's an argument that Warburton's team isnt good enough and we need better, more expensive players

Especially as one of the guys that tore us apart is our latest target that we are undervaluing

Dave King's overspend comments were firstly a pragmatic statement of intention - we'll have to front-load our investment. They were also based on his experience of paying inflated transfer fees. Warburton is a different creature altogether than those of our past. He has a holistic view that is about playing as a team to a system. He's not much interested in players at their peak, but in those who will peak while with us. He's obviously got a strong sense of how much a player is worth to us, particularly as a transfer fee is probably an unnecessary cost. He will be assessing risk and reward. On the one hand the squad is already good enough to win the championship, but he wants to hedge against injuries, suspensions and general fatigue and look to the future and have as many players as possible for pre-season training. For him that's where it's at.

Dave King's overspend comments were firstly a pragmatic statement of intention - we'll have to front-load our investment. They were also based on his experience of paying inflated transfer fees. Warburton is a different creature altogether than those of our past. He has a holistic view that is about playing as a team to a system. He's not much interested in players at their peak, but in those who will peak while with us. He's obviously got a strong sense of how much a player is worth to us, particularly as a transfer fee is probably an unnecessary cost. He will be assessing risk and reward. On the one hand the squad is already good enough to win the championship, but he wants to hedge against injuries, suspensions and general fatigue and look to the future and have as many players as possible for pre-season training. For him that's where it's at.

Good post.

Whilst everyone would love to see a team with full internationals it's just not going to happen overnight. This is a project and Warburton has a clear plan of how he wants to go about it. Assuming we win the league we may have a bit more clout to sign better players (though I doubt there would be many left out of contract at that point to sign on a Bosman).

I believe this squad of players will continue to improve and we will see some experience come in over the summer, Warburton leans towards youth with their hunger and fitness levels to play a high tempo gem but he also knows you need to blend it with experience.

Warburton for me is doing what we should have done 3 years ago and I'm more than happy with the approach.

Remember Holt cost us £65k and he's been excellent so don't judge a player on how much we sign them for, judge them on how they do when they pull on the jersey.

It shouldn't make a difference if we spend £1 or £1m - as long as the player is of quality.

Look at the transfer figures being thrown round the premier league, £12m for Jonjo Shelvey? He's never worth that.

Warburton's favourite word 'value' - that is all we should be looking for.

In all honesty, I would be annoyed if we spent any more than £1million on a player. I have faith in MW & DW to get the best out of players in the markets they know. For years we have spunk crazy money for players we could have found for cheaper if we had the correct people in charge. I enjoyed that we didn't offer crazy money to Hibs for Allen and I am enjoying that we aren't offering crazy money for O'hallaron.

It shouldn't make a difference if we spend £1 or £1m - as long as the player is of quality.

Look at the transfer figures being thrown round the premier league, £12m for Jonjo Shelvey? He's never worth that.

Warburton's favourite word 'value' - that is all we should be looking for.

If you buy a player for 3mill and sell him for 5mil that would be value, when Mr Warburton mentions value I don't think he means bargain basement.

If you buy a player for 3mill and sell him for 5mil that would be value, when Mr Warburton mentions value I don't think he means bargain basement.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying a players price tag to me shouldn't be the first thing we look for, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying a players price tag to me shouldn't be the first thing we look for, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good.

(tu) agreed.

As long as we don't fall back into the days of the past then I'll be happy, what we spend doesn't really bother me as long as it makes financial sense.

I think first and foremost we have to remember that the club made a loss of £7.5 million up till June 2015 and that from then till Xmas made another £0.5K loss. Its all in the accounts. So regardless of the board, the club made the loss and someone, somewhere has to cover that £8 million.

So until we get back to actually being a profitable company, I expect us to be a tight as a crabs arse when it comes to spending on players. Its capex we cant afford.

Let's face facts, we are always going to be a selling club. Scottish football is rank and there will never be a TV deal like down south. As long as that remains in effect we will produce our own talent (something we are finally making progress with) or buying low and selling high.

Each year you see these Bosman XI teams, where you can create a full (and fairly formidable) team from players out of contract. I for one couldn't care less on how cheap we appear to others, I'm happy in the knowledge we aren't getting mugged and paying over the odds. If however signings aren't great then out on the field performance will suffer but we can sever our ties with the duds knowing we haven't blown millions e.g like them with scepovic or that Dutch winger from Ajax.

Let's face facts, we are always going to be a selling club. Scottish football is rank and there will never be a TV deal like down south. As long as that remains in effect we will produce our own talent (something we are finally making progress with) or buying low and selling high.

Each year you see these Bosman XI teams, where you can create a full (and fairly formidable) team from players out of contract. I for one couldn't care less on how cheap we appear to others, I'm happy in the knowledge we aren't getting mugged and paying over the odds. If however signings aren't great then out on the field performance will suffer but we can sever our ties with the duds knowing we haven't blown millions e.g like them with scepovic or that Dutch winger from Ajax.

Well 3mill would be low and 5mill would be high so we agree then. (tu)

We'll never have a team of International players as some people want us to have! Must remember that the English players we have will probably never get picked for England because they're not playing in the EPL or a team like Real Madrid or Barcelona, when our other players start doing the business in the top flight then their respective international team managers will probably start calling them up for caps (except Strachan).

MW & DW are doing something which is more important, they are building a team for the future, they are building a team who want to play football for them, for us and for the shirt, we don't need a team that is full of recognised internationals that millions have been paid for to challenge for the top flight title next season and when we do then we'll have a team worth millions of pounds as that is what people would have to pay us to prise them away.

Do I expect a couple more additions during the summer transfer, of course I do but I don't expect that we'll have to pay millions of pounds for them.