Diagouraga

bordersbear

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, writingranger said:

Ps, why are folk so sure we need a cdm? We've got Halliday, Thomson & Ball, who are all good enough in this league.

None of whom are defensive midfielders.  I think like many supporters, MW has identified that as a position we need to fill.

18 minutes ago, writingranger said:

Ps, why are folk so sure we need a cdm? We've got Halliday, Thomson & Ball, who are all good enough in this league.

Halliday isn't disciplined enough to stay there long term. He continually finds himself drifting towards the ball; so much that we've tweaked how the two full backs attack to provide extra cover in front of the centre-backs. Instead of both going forward at the same time, one now drops in to sit in beside Halliday.

I'm not massively bothered, as we are still clearly the best team in the Division. 

We still definitely need to strengthen that position for next year but I don't think we should be paying over the odds for a >28 year old player.  

As soon as it was clear Brentford would sell him most clubs in England can blow us out the water with bids. They can do that with the TV contract. We need to be smarter with our targets and bids, and it is good to see that approach from MW.

39 minutes ago, OzGers said:

600k according to sun. If true and were not prepared to pay that level of fee for a good player in a league far better than spfl, then I'm seriously concerned 

The suggestion down south would be that it was more like a million. Which Warburton may have deemed him not to be worth.  Unless the teams involved come out and mention an actual fee then it's all speculation.

11 hours ago, Smile said:

Football fucked here our top leagues pish now and not competitive enough to woo players, plus we are bargaining with peanuts while the English leagues have the sky money.

We were promised big money but most accepted that was never going to materialise.

Yet no questions are being asked of Doncaster or that cunt O Reagan all the whike football in Scotland rots.  The sole ambition of the media and the fans of other clubs appears to be, let's hound the Rangers.

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

so much that we've tweaked how the two full backs attack to provide extra cover in front of the centre-backs. Instead of both going forward at the same time, one now drops in to sit in beside Halliday.

Which is more sensible anyway tbh.

Would have liked to get a good, experienced, cdm in - not sure theres any about in the less than 500k price band.

Clearly we wouldn't meet the asking price which for me is disappointing unless we can secure another similar players in this window.

Not having disciplined dm has cost us against better teams and is a clear problem we need yl address

19 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Wpersonally have liked to getdidn'tgood, experienced, cdm in - not sure theres anin about in the less than 500k price band.

Clearly we wouldn't meet the asking price which for me is disappointing unless we can secure another similar players in this window.

Not having disciplined dm has cost us against better teams and is a clear problem we need yl address

I think this guy would have been quite good for us but I dont think Halliday IS as bad as some suggest. Given he has been given a contract extension and when ever M W talks about him It IS In glowing terms?

What better Teams? St Johnstone game was one where we dominated for long spells but didnt take our chances and they did, personally dont think A H has sole responsibility for that 

21 minutes ago, thebluedoo said:

I think this guy would have been quite good for us but I dont think Halliday IS as bad as some suggest. Given he has been given a contract extension and when ever M W talks about him It IS In glowing terms?

What better Teams? St Johnstone game was one where we dominated for long spells but didnt take our chances and they did, personally dont think A H has sole responsibility for that 

I don't think halliday has done a bad job at all but he's not a defensive minded player, we need someone to sit and break up the play - a lot of the opportunities we've given to other teams have come from not having anyone sitting in the middle of the park which an experienced head would have dealt with

3 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

I don't think halliday has done a bad job at all but he's not a defensive minded player, we need someone to sit and break up the play - a lot of the opportunities we've given to other teams have come from not having anyone sitting in the middle of the park

Personally I would prefer 2 holding midfielders rather than one but thats not how M W wants us to play, from what I have seen of A H I quite like. He also may be more versatile than others In the midfieild area

No Idea whats going on with my quoted posts 

5 hours ago, OzGers said:

600k according to sun. If true and were not prepared to pay that level of fee for a good player in a league far better than spfl, then I'm seriously concerned 

600k according to the Sun ?? Ok let's say it's true.

Even if we had matched the fee. I would imagine his wage package would have been at least double what we offered, as soon as higher end clubs in England start to enter the discussion, Scottish clubs are sadly not able to compete financially any more, even at Leeds current level. If we had agreed a fee at say 300k, then Leeds would most likely have still stepped in and offered him a better deal to sign with them.

Unless a player only has us interested in him or he is desperate to play for Rangers, then we will struggle to complete the deal, especially in this division but don't think the top league will be much different. Hope I'm wrong.

5 hours ago, OzGers said:

600k was the figure I heard too , which isn't much for an English Championship player. We're going to have to get closer to other teams valuations or we're going to miss out on a few targets I imagine. My worry is , after Easton and Diagoura , we're now down to MW's 3rd choice of a key position. 

16 hours ago, Smile said:

Football fucked here our top leagues pish now and not competitive enough to woo players, plus we are bargaining with peanuts while the English leagues have the sky money.

We were promised big money but most accepted that was never going to materialise.

I agree regarding the sky money and he will sign on Monday to a team currently sitting 17th place in their league, it's a sad state of affairs.

I also think your a bit premature in your second  paragraph due to the league we're in.

One signing (this window) has got away and we simply move onto our next target without the need to worry about the  finances or the way MW values a player.

There's enough haters out there banging that drum which is all about damaging the credibility and brand of the club with their constant snippets.

If we're struggling this time next year and our transfers are falling through due to a lack of spend then I will be the first one on here heavily criticising past promises but that day is a long way off.