Happy to sacrifice Zelalem/Law?

Gaz52

I've seen a fair few posts on here and elsewhere from people who strongly believe we need a holding midfielder. I agree we could be doing with someone a bit more natural to that role than Halliday. 

I wouldn't drop Halliday or Holt personally

Hopefully Law is moved on in the summer. 

Zelalem probably needs to take couple of more shots and strengthen up a little bit, he is only 18 remember. But I can't see a place for any of them if we do sign a CDM

If we sign a CDM in this window it would be CDM Holt Halliday and the front 3.

2 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

In the top division you need a Nicky Law but at his best or better (if we're even going for second place with some desire).

Zelalem may become a very good overall player in a few years but currently he's hardly a star of the Scottish Championship on performance.

Holt's on fire just now and gives us a constant goal threat either in creation or by scoring personally.

Halliday, I've seen it said is a winger playing out of position? I thought he made a good start to the season and I wouldn't say he's been bad or anything but can you say he's having the impact of Holt or Law? We've been miles better since Law came back and I personally don't think we'd suffer the same way if Halliday was out of the team.

So of those 4, Law and Holt are safe for me and the other two is a matter of tactics/preference.

Summed up well.

55 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Hopefully Law is moved on in the summer. 

Zelalem probably needs to take couple of more shots and strengthen up a little bit, he is only 18 remember. But I can't see a place for any of them if we do sign a CDM

If we sign a CDM in this window it would be CDM Holt Halliday and the front 3.

Law is our best midfielder behind holt imo.id like to see him stay 

I hate this 'Halliday is a winger thing.' He might have played there or as a wing back elsewhere and in his younger days but for us he's a centre mid. Not an out and out holder (which we need to bring in,) but still a centre mid. Watch the guy play, he's even less suited to playing in our front 3 than he is to playing as a holding midfielder. 

Law as has improved immensely. Him coming into our midfield as well as Waghorn rotating right and centre every 20 minutes or so is what's dragged us back on track since the Hibs game.

Zelalem is a tidy, technically sound player with a big future. I'd hate for us to go back to the Ally days and shun players like him. But he's not our player, and at the moment he's utterly ineffective - not shite, but doesn't contribute anything positive to our team. I don't think he should be here. 

2 hours ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

In the top division you need a Nicky Law but at his best or better (if we're even going for second place with some desire).

Zelalem may become a very good overall player in a few years but currently he's hardly a star of the Scottish Championship on performance.

Holt's on fire just now and gives us a constant goal threat either in creation or by scoring personally.

Halliday, I've seen it said is a winger playing out of position? I thought he made a good start to the season and I wouldn't say he's been bad or anything but can you say he's having the impact of Holt or Law? If he is I don't think it's as obvious certainly. We've been miles better since Law came back and I personally don't think we'd suffer the same way if Halliday was out of the team.

So of those 4, Law and Holt are safe for me and the other two is a matter of tactics/preference.

Good post.   I think Law has been a revitalised player under Warburton.  He is far more effective than Zelalem who flatters to deceive for me.  The boy has a lot to learn and is no doubt gifted but we can't be the learning ground for him.  This season is far too important for us.   At best I'd keep him on the bench only for emergencies or for the occasions when we are a few goals ahead when we can bring him on to give another player a rest or save for the next game.

Don't see Halliday having the footwork or ball control to play anywhere other than where he is, tbh.

Covering ground & flying into tackles appear to be his forte.

Zelalem will possibly go on to be great, but the fact most people remember his assists v Airdrie & Cowdenbeath more than anything tells you his current level isn't enough for our current level.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

It's true. Halliday has done very little since the first half a dozen or so games of the season. Law has come in and been fantastic.

steady on ffs.. Law fantastic? He's been good compared with last season when he's played and that's nice to see but I'd hardly call his performances fantastic. Nowhere near it. 

Law is an absolute enigma on here. Too many blinded by a handful of good performances imo.

Law has put in good performances every season he has been here, he has also hidden away when the going gets hard. He is in general a passenger, and we shouldn't be putting up with passengers.

Talk of needing Law in the top division? Ffs 

In regards to the OP, aye no problem replacing either or both.

6 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Law is an absolute enigma on here. Too many blinded by a handful of good performances imo.

Law has put in good performances every season he has been here, he has also hidden away when the going gets hard. He is in general a passenger, and we shouldn't be putting up with passengers.

Talk of needing Law in the top division? Ffs 

All in your opinion of course, Law is a better player than some give credit for, under Warburton he could be important for us.

21 minutes ago, Misteral said:

steady on ffs.. Law fantastic? He's been good compared with last season when he's played and that's nice to see but I'd hardly call his performances fantastic. Nowhere near it. 

That's upto you 

hes been better than Halliday 

I think generally among fans, whoever plays CDM,  their impact on the team goes unnoticed. You only realise what they bring when they are out the team.

Probably why Halliday doesn't get as much credit on here as he deserves, IMO.